The Panda

Top Grossing Movies of 2019 Predicts

59 minutes ago, November Treejax said:

Can someone please explain why Aladdin will make more money than Jungle Book? Let alone 400M more... lol

Some factors to consider:

The original animated film was the #1 movie of the year 1992 both domestic and worldwide

Was also the highest grossing animated movie of all time until The Lion King surpassed it

Aladdin was popular for boys growing up, Princess Jasmine for girls (made a lot more $$$ in merchandise than Beauty and the Beast)

Its Broadway musical adaptation was the 3rd highest grossing show of 2016, with The Lion King at #1

It's a big brand, the second most popular film of the Disney Renaissance era only behind, again, The Lion King

A Whole New World alone is more popular than any Jungle Book song (the pop version of the song and is the first and so far only song from a Disney animated film to top the US Billboard Hot 100)

It's just as 4-quadrant as The Jungle Book but will also have a lot more CGI spectacles and action involving magic and fantastical elements, even more than BATB (so possibly a bigger OS appeal) that includes:

The Agrabah landscape with its enormous scale, it's a whole fantasy city with a huge palace (if they pull it off)

Genie/Jafar and their powers

The Cave of Wonders sequence, Aladdin escaping using the magic carpet

The arrival of Prince Ali

A Whole New World sequence

etc.

Edited by Royce

1 hour ago, Royce said:

Some factors to consider:

The original animated film was the #1 movie of the year 1992 both domestic and worldwide

Was also the highest grossing animated movie of all time until The Lion King surpassed it

Aladdin was popular for boys growing up, Princess Jasmine for girls (made a lot more $$$ in merchandise than Beauty and the Beast)

Its Broadway musical adaptation was the 3rd highest grossing show of 2016, with The Lion King at #1

It's a big brand, the second most popular film of the Disney Renaissance era only behind, again, The Lion King

A Whole New World alone is more popular than any Jungle Book song (the pop version of the song and is the first and so far only song from a Disney animated film to top the US Billboard Hot 100)

It's just as 4-quadrant as The Jungle Book but will also have a lot more CGI spectacles and action involving magic and fantastical elements, even more than BATB (so possibly a bigger OS appeal) that includes:

The Agrabah landscape with its enormous scale, it's a whole fantasy city with a huge palace (if they pull it off)

Genie/Jafar and their powers

The Cave of Wonders sequence, Aladdin escaping using the magic carpet

The arrival of Prince Ali

A Whole New World sequence

etc.

And to all this I say yet again...

Guy Ritchie

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And to all this I say yet again...

Guy Ritchie

Bill Condon (BATB) made two Twilight movies

Jon Favreau (Jungle Book) made Iron Man 2

Let's hope the Disney magic works with Guy Ritchie as well

1 minute ago, Royce said:

You act as if BATB (2017) was a good movie.

• ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, Royce said:

It has nothing to do with the so called "quality" of Ritchie's work. It's the fact that he has an extremely distinct style that he seems incapable of detaching from and has yet to be diluted in any of his movies. And it's a bit of a niche style that makes  4 quad appeal fairly impossible even when he's working in a blockbuster franchise with an A list draw like the Sherlock movies. And the idea of his style for Aladdin is just jarring to say the least.

Now maybe Disney neuters him and forces their vision on him, but if that's the case I can't imagine why he would have done it? One could argue maybe they threw a big paycheck his way, but then that begs the question of why Disney would have done that? He's not some huge director with huge grosses on his resume that they would have been desperate to nab or anything. 

Edited by MovieMan89

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It has nothing to do with the so called "quality" of Ritchie's work. It's the fact that he has an extremely distinct style that he seems incapable of detaching from and has yet to be diluted in any of his movies. And it's a bit of a niche style that makes  4 quad appeal fairly impossible even when he's working in a blockbuster franchise with an A list draw like the Sherlock movies. And the idea of his style for Aladdin is just jarring to say the least.

Now maybe Disney neuters him and forces their vision on him, but if that's the case I can't imagine why he would have done it? One could argue maybe they threw a big paycheck his way, but then that begs the question of why Disney would have done that? He's not some huge director with huge grosses on his resume that they would have been desperate to nab or anything. 

Hmm you have a point

I guess I'm just being too optimistic

especially with this concept art they teased

Iig0EbJ.jpg

I know it's just one image but it just seems like a general, Disneyfied big scale film (or maybe it's just me)

I guess we're just gonna have to wait and see (the trailer)

Edited by Royce

650-680 - Star Wars 9

570-600 - Lion King

485-515 - Avengers 4

370-400 - Aladdin

335-365 - Wonder Woman 2

320-350 - Toy Story 4

310-340 - Frozen 2

290-310 - Spiderman Homecoming 2

280-300 - Pets 2

240-260 - IT Chapter 2

210-230 - Dumbo

200-220 - Captain Marvel

190-200 - Bond 25 (if it happens?)

180-190 - Shazam!

160-170 - Godzilla 2

1430 (665+765) - Star Wars 9

1400 (500+900) - Avengers 4

1300 (585+715) - The Lion King

1100 (390+710) - Frozen 2

900 (385+515) - Aladdin

900 (325+575) - Pets 2

850 (300+550) - Spider-Man: Homecoming 2

850 (195+655) - Bond 25

800 (350+450) - Wonder Woman 2

800 (325+475) - Toy Story 4

600 (210+390) - Captain Marvel

550 (220+330) - Dumbo

540 (165+375) - Godzilla 2

525 (250+275) - IT Chapter 2

480 (185+295) - Shazam!

As far as I know Jumanji 2 isn't scheduled yet (Sony "hopes" for Dec '19), and I have my doubts about Bond staying on the schedule for 2019, but for now it appears to be there.

Edited by MattW
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MattW said:

650-680 - Star Wars 9

1430 (665+765) - Star Wars 9

C5z2O34.gif

SW9 won't increase form TLJ, no chance. No Luke, no Han, no Laia, it will be 5th movie in only 4 years, and EVIII has very mixed reception. I wouldn't be surprised if it drops as JL after BvS did.

Avengers 4 will be bigger OS and WW, maybe DOM as well.

Edited by Juby
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Juby said:

C5z2O34.gif

SW9 won't increase form TLJ, no chance. No Luke, no Han, no Laia, it will be 5th movie in 4 only years, and EVIII has very mixed reception. I wouldn't be surprised if it drops as JL after BvS did.

SW9 will be the end of the trilogy. It should rebound.

53 minutes ago, Juby said:

C5z2O34.gif

SW9 won't increase form TLJ, no chance. No Luke, no Han, no Laia, it will be 5th movie in 4 only years, and EVIII has very mixed reception. I wouldn't be surprised if it drops as JL after BvS did.

My first guess is that 9 will open pretty much the same as 8 and then have slightly better legs mostly because of the schedule, it doesn't have Christmas and NY's eve landing on the weekends hurting some of its best days. 

50 minutes ago, Lothar said:

What why so different prediction in one post ?

Oops, not sure what happened there. Fixed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattW said:

My first guess is that 9 will open pretty much the same as 8 and then have slightly better legs mostly because of the schedule, it doesn't have Christmas and NY's eve landing on the weekends hurting some of its best days. 

Actually you have a very important point there. The schedule can make a huge difference to a films gross

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MattW said:

550-600 - Star Wars 9

570-600 - Lion King

560-660 - Avengers 4

400-550 - Aladdin

400-480 - Wonder Woman 2

320-350 - Toy Story 4

400-500 - Frozen 2

320-410 - Spiderman Homecoming 2

280-300 - Pets 2

300-380- IT Chapter 2

210-230 - Dumbo

340-450 - Captain Marvel

190-200 - Bond 25 (if it happens?)

280-380 - Shazam!

160-170 - Godzilla 2

1300 (600+700) - Star Wars 9

1500 (600+900) - Avengers 4

1300 (585+715) - The Lion King

1150 (440+710) - Frozen 2

1000 (450+650) - Aladdin

900 (325+575) - Pets 2

900 (350+550) - Spider-Man: Homecoming 2

850 (195+655) - Bond 25

800 (350+450) - Wonder Woman 2

920 (450+520) - Toy Story 4

850 (400+450) - Captain Marvel

550 (220+330) - Dumbo

540 (165+375) - Godzilla 2

800 (350+450) - IT Chapter 2

850 (300+550) - Shazam!

That looks cool ;)

Edited by Lothar
  • Like 1

IX can totally increase on TLJ. ROTS increased from ATOC, and yea sure that had the Vader hook but I'm willing to bet Disney is going to at least market this one with a hook of its own. They'd be dumb not to. 

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

IX can totally increase on TLJ. ROTS increased from ATOC, and yea sure that had the Vader hook but I'm willing to bet Disney is going to at least market this one with a hook of its own. They'd be dumb not to. 

Agreed. With the exception of force ghost Luke, there will be no marketing factor of having the OT actors in there. I’m curious what they’ll do to draw audiences back in. 

Personally, I’d kill for a scene between Kylo and Force Ghost Anakin. 

• Like 1