WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

45 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If anything, this actually looks somewhat more ambitious than anything else Illumination has made. Obviously not to the extent of ITSV or Puss in Boots 2, but it does look like a marginal amount of effort was put into it. 

visually speaking, not writing wise

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

visually speaking, not writing wise

Trailers for animated movies aren't necessarily representative of the tone. They are often extremely calculated to catch the target demographic. Even some of the marketing for the Last Wish had its own part of cringe if you ask me. Sometimes you need to see the full package to actually be able to judge the product. Or reviews. Obviously, Mario will not be an Oscar-worthy movie, but I hope it lands in the 80s and is above the average Illumination stuff and that Nintendo, while making these movies, intends to continue to make sure to improve them or make them better and in more innovative ways, just like they do with games.

13 hours ago, Starrow5722 said:

I barely hear anybody call their movies fun. Just painfully dull or outright terrible.

Illumination might literally be the most liked animation studio by the GA. The internet bubble is overly harsh on them but everyone else enjoys their films just fine. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I still think this will be the biggest film of the year. Maybe top 2. Or top 3. 😁

Don´t see which movies can beat it tbh. I have this around 800M-1B. Realistically it´s only MI7 that can cause issues for that and maybe Vol 3 (but not really). Fast X will need 200M+ from China and projections so far says around 100M is more likely. So I have this as nr 1 easily

1 hour ago, cooldude97 said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-are-you-there-god-its-me-margaret-and-big-george-foreman/

$73,000,000 – $105,000,00 3 day

$102,000,000 – $151,000,000 5 day

Sonic 2 was underestimated even on the high end compared to the actuals 8 days before. It overperformed by 20% the high end of the 3-day forecast. If Mario does that, it would end up at 126M, which is like 4 million behind Frozen 2. It would be top 5 domestic 3-day of all-time for animated movies in the US. That's crazy.

Edited by elhassane31

19 minutes ago, TheGullsHaveBeaks said:

I don’t know why but I feel like this movie will completely underperform the high expectations that so many people have for it. How often have we seen video game movies be hyped up to have big box office only to fall short of their expectations? I just don’t know about this one. 

You do realize we already have pre sale data indicating this will have at the very least a strong opening.

24 minutes ago, TheGullsHaveBeaks said:

I don’t know why but I feel like this movie will completely underperform the high expectations that so many people have for it. How often have we seen video game movies be hyped up to have big box office only to fall short of their expectations? I just don’t know about this one. 

as far as I know, that only happened with Detective Pikachu. Mario is the most iconic videogame character of them all. If a Pokemon live action movie focused on a spinoff game with Pikachu as the lead can make around 434M dollars, Mario should easily destroy the 800M barrier. 1 billion is difficult in those times (not a single animated movie post-pandemic got there) tho so who knows if it goes that high

Edited by elhassane31

21 minutes ago, elhassane31 said:

thank you for responding! How do the movie compare to the Sonic movies in your opinion?

I was not a fan of the first Sonic movie, I thought it was absurdly generic and didn't get a laugh out of me once. But I got more out of the sequel, I don't know if I thought it was downright good, but it was very watchable and mostly pretty fun. In comparison to Mario I would put it along with the first, and that's based on what I remember since I haven't seen Sonic 1 since release and I can't claim it was particularly memorable for me. Though visually I like Mario way more, and while I don't like the Brooklyn backstory they go for, I prefer that over taking Sonic out of his own world and putting him in our reality.