WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

27 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The only 2 actual critics on there panning it is not a good sign at all. After all the meltdowns internally at Nintendo over the 1993 movie, I can't wait to see what happens when this one gets poor reviews too, from reviewers not drinking the Nintendo Kool-Aid anyway.

I'm also looking forward to see those who were using this to trash the Sonic movies eating crows. All the iconography and easter eggs in the world are not enough to save a movie when the core story doesn't work, at least according to the proper critics I've mentioned.

I mean Mario is still going to wallop Sonic at the box office so I think their point stands.

12 hours ago, Lucas said:

I was not a fan of the first Sonic movie, I thought it was absurdly generic and didn't get a laugh out of me once. But I got more out of the sequel, I don't know if I thought it was downright good, but it was very watchable and mostly pretty fun. In comparison to Mario I would put it along with the first, and that's based on what I remember since I haven't seen Sonic 1 since release and I can't claim it was particularly memorable for me. Though visually I like Mario way more, and while I don't like the Brooklyn backstory they go for, I prefer that over taking Sonic out of his own world and putting him in our reality.

The brothers being from New York has been a thing in the beginning. It was later retconned, Mario was an isekai before isekais were common XD. It's not a thing that comes from the live action movie or the super show, it goes back way further to one of the original games.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, OceanBlvd said:

I mean big box office is mass appeal. Some of the posts in here 😹. If a movie makes tons of money, it has mass appeal period (aka “appeal to more than just hardcore fans and children under 10”). And they are making a movie with mass appeal. This is that movie.

This is not Dungeons & Dragons, for example. Doesn’t matter how much critics shill the movie. It’s still going to tank. That movie is more similar to Detective Pikachu/Sonic movies. An adaption of an IP. Something cute for the fans.

The Mario Movie from the get-go is far wider reaching. As long as it’s not absolutely awful (and it doesn’t look like it is), It should do very well.

Go back to reddit.

If ya'll honestly think this movie is gonna one of the lower rated Illumation films compared to their recent output(Minions 2 and Sing 2 specifically), where it's at the rotten territory, you're sorely mistaken. They haven't had a film that was rotten status since 2018 The Grinch.

57 minutes ago, OceanBlvd said:

I mean big box office is mass appeal. Some of the posts in here 😹. If a movie makes tons of money, it has mass appeal period (aka “appeal to more than just hardcore fans and children under 10”). And they are making a movie with mass appeal. This is that movie.

This is not Dungeons & Dragons, for example. Doesn’t matter how much critics shill the movie. It’s still going to tank. That movie is more similar to Detective Pikachu/Sonic movies. An adaption of an IP. Something cute for the fans.

The Mario Movie from the get-go is far wider reaching. As long as it’s not absolutely awful (and it doesn’t look like it is), It should do very well.

I more appeal to people more as in how much people enjoy it and will want to come back for more. A flock of people will show up to this regardless but if it's just going to be Minions with Mario characters I'm not sure it will be as sustainable for future growth as a cinematic IP. 

6 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

I more appeal to people more as in how much people enjoy it and will want to come back for more. A flock of people will show up to this regardless but if it's just going to be Minions with Mario characters I'm not sure it will be as sustainable for future growth as a cinematic IP. 

Minions is a very healthy IP though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The first reactions not exactly being through the roof usually doesn't seem like a great sign for the actual reviews lol.

Gonna see this but yeah, can't claim my expectations have been particularly high.

Where do you think it's going to land in comparison to their recent outings?

6 minutes ago, Starrow5722 said:

Where do you think it's going to land in comparison to their recent outings?

minions 1 as the comp

For some reason, I thought that movie was in the red in MC, but to my surprise it has a meh 56 on Metacritic, which is roughly where I expect mario to land

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

For what it's worth, I had a great time. The movie is great fun. Of course the story is dumb, but they nail the character. And it seemed like my theater had a great time, too, though it's hard to gauge obviously. 

Edit: Oh and I know this sounds dumb but I promise it will make sense when you see it: the movie knows what it is. It can definitely be criticized for lack of ambition, but it's not a movie spectacularly failing to be profound or whatever. It's a fun kids movie that will tickle your nostalgia bone and make you fall in love with these characters. And that's all it's trying to do.

Edited by Starphanluke
  • Like 5

this is to be expected. This is an Illumination film guys. They make what you might call "lowest common denominator" type animated films. Anyone that thought this was going to be like a Pixar movie or a Spider-Verse or Puss in Boots 2 was setting themselves up for disappointment 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I think it will barely manage to not go rotten and sit on the low 60s. Exactly where I thought it would land from the first trailer, anyway. Never understood why people expected illumination to come out with an amazing film all of a sudden, their output is consistently mediocre.

Edited by JustLurking