baumer

Top 25 films of 1997 (Top two will be unveiled tonight) The final two revealed on page 12

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I like how this post went from anger to depression/acceptance by replacing the question mark with the period

i think a question leaves it open to smartass replies that are wrong about what spielberg's worst film is so i changed it.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hercules:  

Written by:  Ron Clements, John Musker

Directed by:  Ron Clements and John Musker

Starring:  Tate Donovan, Danny DeVito, James Woods, Rip Torn

WW box office:  252.7 million

latest?cb=20140607160200

Number of 1st place votes:  0

Number of Lists:  9

Academy Awards:  1 nomination and 0 wins.

The role of Hades is one of James Woods' all-time favorite characters. So much so, any time Disney needs him to reprise the character for any cartoon show and video game, such as Hercules: The Series or Kingdom Hearts, he has agreed to do so. When this film was about to go over-budget, he offered to refund his salary and finish the film for free. Disney decided against this, and finished the film anyway.  Hades was scripted as a slow, menacing character until James Woods took the role and impressed the crew with his rapid-fire style. Even after the script was rewritten, Woods ad-libbed many lines.

While the story of Hercules' birth and adoption in the film is not true to the myth, it does mirror the story of Oedipus, who is referenced several other times throughout the film. Oedipus was abandoned on a mountain side, much like the scenery of where Hercules is left: and baby Oedipus is found by a local farmer, who gives the baby to his master, and is raised by him and his wife, who had been unable to conceive. Hercules' adopted parents are portrayed more-or-less as farmers, and his mother comments about Hercules being 'the baby they had prayed for', implying they had been unable to conceive.

Random Critic Remark:  The world will fall in love with Hercules. This new full-length animated feature from Disney is a delight. It will refresh you and renew your enthusiasm on the most jaded of days. With a fresh, innovative script combined with great voices and colourful images that will amaze, Hercules will no doubt emulate the success of its forerunner Aladdin. The ancient classic tale of Hercules is inspired and eminently suitable for this medium - allowing the skill of the animator to create fantasies beyond our expectations, while letting our imagination soar. The script is fast and witty, the music will keep your toes tapping; the humour infectious; I smiled throughout:  Paul Fischer:  Urban Cinephile (Australia)

Random Forum Comment:  None avalable...so replaced with random imdb user:  Although I know I have heaped praise on several other Disney films...Hercules stands out as my favourite among them all. After this movie the Disney features once again seemed to slip downhill. However I can watch this movie again and again, it has a spectacular Greek chorus, gospel type score, which will ring in your head for days (and you will like it!). The characters are all likeable, even the villain and it is absolutely hilarious!:  Lady Jasmine

• Like 11
  • ...wtf 1

Donnie Brasco

Written by:  James Pistone (book)

Paul Antanassio

Directed by:  Mike Newell

Starring:  Al Pacino, Johnny Depp, Michael Madsen, Bruno Kirby

WW Box office:  124.9 million

donniebrasco2.jpg

Number of 1st place Votes:  0

Number of Lists:  11

Academy Awards:  1 nomination and 0 wins

This is a true story about FBI Special Agent Joe Pistone who was supposed to go under cover for three months to infiltrate the mob.  He ended being there more than three years resulting in his family moving cross country numerous times.  He rarely saw his family and he got so deep that he basically forgot who he was.  In an interview years later, Pistone said he didn't see his family for two years.  And in art imitating life, according to Paul Attanasio, Johnny Depp's 1994 arrest for destroying a hotel room helped him get cast. People thought he was "dark and dangerous."

Random Critic Remark:  Despite the mafia theme (we've been there) and the casting of Al Pacino as a mobster (boy, has this godfather ever been there), Donnie Brasco is one terrific movie. It's the true '70s-era story of how FBI agent Joe Pistone (Johnny Depp) went undercover in the mob as a jewel fence, Donnie Brasco, to infiltrate the operations of the Bonanno family in Brooklyn, N.Y. Peter Travers NY Times

Random Forum User Comment:  @Jay Hollywood

B+ (87)

Should have ended on Pacino walking out the door. 

• Like 9

I think the film at number 20 might cause a few angered posters.  I'm one of them as I had this one much much higher on my list.  

But number 21 first.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Early in the year in my film class, we examined the opening scene of Amistad, and I was riveted from beginning to end. When the teacher was asking for comments, I said something about how the piercing of a white sail and something about manifest destiny, and she said I would get an A in the class. Good times.

• Like 2

The Ice Storm

Written by:  Rick Moody, John Shamus

Directed by: Ang Lee

Starring:  Kevin Kline, Joan Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Katie Holmes, Tobey Maguire

WW box office:  8 million

large_e3j1Pn67bWos1pnBDE9GJNeAtcT.jpg

Number of 1st place votes:  0

Number of Lists:  11

Number of Academy Awards:  0

The synopsis of this movie makes it sound like an Enquirer story or a soap opera.  But somehow it all comes together and works well.  

In the weekend after thanksgiving 1973 the Hoods are skidding out of control. Benjamin Hood reels from drink to drink, trying not to think about his trouble at the office. His wife, Elena, is reading self help books and losing patience with her husband's lies. Their son, Paul, home for the holidays, escapes to the city to pursue an alluring rich girl from his prep school. And young, budding nymphomaniac, Wendy Hood roams the neighborhood, innocently exploring liquor cabinets and lingerie drawers of her friends' parents, looking for something new. Then an ice storm hits, the worst in a century. Things get bad...

Random Critic Remark:  Lee brings an outsider's perspective to the project. His actors scrupulously adhere to the physical and verbal mannerisms of their time and place. The kids, in particular, have little of the cynically knowing edge we associate with '90s youth; these mop-headed, poncho-wearing children, wallowing in Watergate and a lost war, are literally reeling from nonstop revelations: the government, their folks, their friends have been faking it all along.

Forum member comment:  None available so random imdb user:  I am deeply touched. I can not believe it took me 7 years to get to see this movie. It goes straight into my top ten:  Goldilocks from Norway.

• Like 8