Ezen Baklattan

2017 Critics/Alternate Awards Discussion

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Feels like Chalamet/Oldman/Franco/DDL/Hanks is a solid bet, but maybe Kayuula or Gyllenhaal jumps into the last spot. Doubt it though. I think those five seems like a safe bet, or as safe as can be.

Yeah. Everyone else just feels like Supporting Actor from a few years ago when an alternative to Duvall was trying to be found.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Last Panda said:

I think if it's Chalamet v Franco, Franco will win due to age

Same. I think the major shows go like this:

Globes: Chalamet/Franco

SAG: Franco

BAFTA: DDL

Oscars: Franco

Last year was the first time SAG got Actor wrong since the year Depp won for POTC I believe, and Denzel had never won at SAG before Fences.

Edited by WrathOfHan

LAFCA stats:

Picture: Since 2011, the winner and runner-up have all been nominated for Picture. In 2010, The Social Network was nominated but Carlos was not. Going back to the 5-nominee period, neither of 2008's movies (TDK/WALL-E) were nominated and 2003's winner American Splendor was not nominated. Only three BP winners this millennium have showed up here: Hurt Locker, Spotlight, and Moonlight. The Florida Project is gaining traction fast!

Director: Their record is a lot shakier here. The winner has been an Oscar nominee every time this decade except half of 2010 (Assayas tied with Fincher) and 2012 (PTA). Last decade, every winner save for Pedro Almodvar was nominated. As for runner ups, there have been 3 misses this decade (Bigelow/Jonze/Haynes) and 4 misses last decade (Haynes/Cronenberg/Nolan/Haneke). The Oscar winner has showed up 7 times here: 6 winners (Soderbergh/Jackson/Lee 05/Boyle/Bigelow/Cuaron) and 1 runner up (Chazelle).

Actor: This decade, 4 winners (Firth/Phoenix/Dern/Fassbender) and 3 runner ups (Ejiofor/Keaton/Affleck) have been Oscar nominees. In 2005-2009, the LAFCA winners (excluding Cohen's tie with Whitaker) were the Oscar winners, and every runner up save for Langella in 2007 were nominees. In 2000 and 2004, neither the winner or runner up were nominees, while 2001-2003 had everyone nominated with Penn as the runner up in 03. That's a total of 8 winners this millennium with only two being runner ups!

Actress: Every winner since 2012 (excluding the Adele tie in 2013) has been a nominee (JLaw and Riva/Blanchett/Arquette/Rampling/Huppert). Their runner up record is decent too: Moore and Ronan were the runner ups in 2014 and 2015. They got nothing in 2011 and only JLaw as a runner up in 2010.

Supporting Actor: The Oscar winner has appeared in some capacity since 2011: Plummer, Leto, Simmons, and Ali were the winners while Waltz and Rylance were runner ups. Basically, this does nothing to help us figure out Supporting Actor when the two frontrunners won :lol: 

Supporting Actress: Their record here isn't strong. Including Arquette's Actress win, Hathaway (runner up) and Nyong'o are the only winners this decade. 2011-2013 had both the winner and runner up get nominated, but between 2014-2016, Michelle Williams (runner up) was the only nominee to appear in any form. Metcalf is obviously safe, but this doesn't help Blige too much.

• Like 1

The Florida Project is really gaining a lot of traction- and it really does deserve it.

I think Bria Vinaite is a few critic nominations away from being launched into the Supporting Actress discussion. She has to get those noms, though.

Sally Hawkins has received the legitimization she needs. I hope she keeps the momentum going, because based on trailers alone, she really deserves at least a nomination.

1 hour ago, slambros said:

The Florida Project is really gaining a lot of traction- and it really does deserve it.

It's a long road, but I'm feeling pretty good about it getting a Picture nom. I think it's gonna stick around and develop enough passion for that 8th spot.