DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

1 hour ago, LaughingEvans said:

who gives a shit about what the european union wants, jesus.

You are aware about without the approvement the merger would not happen?

Beside, maybe ppl still living in the EU might be interested (I guess some from the UK not as much)

25 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

I do realise it, I'm just questioning their authority over the deal.

I imagine many of Fox's properties are based in the UE, and without the UE approval maybe they wouldn't allow Disney-Fox operate in the UE (neither broadcast or online). Same goes for China. 

Fox and Disney may be american, but they operate in other countries, so they have to follow the local laws. I mean, there's a world outside America, you know. 

The EU concession is so ridiculous. The EU is that worried that Disney would have a monopoly on "fact-based" television stations? Lifetime is a "fact-based" televisions station now? Honestly, it's not a big concession, but it does seem like a petty with for the EU to ask for a concession on. Owning National Geographic and the History Channel together does not give Disney a monopoly on the facts. However, a few less cable stations in Europe isn't going to hurt Disney much at all.

Edited by Walt Disney

33 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I imagine many of Fox's properties are based in the UE, and without the UE approval maybe they wouldn't allow Disney-Fox operate in the UE (neither broadcast or online). Same goes for China. 

Fox and Disney may be american, but they operate in other countries, so they have to follow the local laws. I mean, there's a world outside America, you know. 

As long as the deal is alright according to international trade laws, what right does the EU have to intervene?
If they want to regulate private companies, why don't they start with Siemens bribing politicians,  or Thyssenkrup for (knowingly) dealing defective arms to countries? I don't remember them beign bothered by Novartis doing shady shit in their territories either. So, what's special about this deal?

I'll tell you what's special: Disney didn't bribe them.

14 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

As long as the deal is alright according to international trade laws, what right does the EU have to intervene?
If they want to regulate private companies, why don't they start with Siemens bribing politicians,  or Thyssenkrup for (knowingly) dealing defective arms to countries? I don't remember them beign bothered by Novartis doing shady shit in their territories either. So, what's special about this deal?

I'll tell you what's special: Disney didn't bribe them.

Nearly every country / economical region has to agree to such kind of deals, that has nothing to do with especially the EU

I did a fast glance:

Fox - Disney shareholders approved already in ~ July.

in the US they have to give up / split from 22 regional FOX sport channels and the Murdochs will form a new Fox company out of

Fox Broadcasting Company, Fox Television Stations, Fox News, the Fox Business Network, FS1, FS2, Fox Deportes and the Big Ten Network

also Fox Soccer Plus

That one will start at 1st January 2019

At the end of July 2018 there were still at least 15 countries / regions open, China, Russia, India, Brazil, and the EU among them:

India approved at 12 August 2018

In the EU the approval was reported as of 6 November,

investment of certain factual television networks in Europe owned by the Disney/Hearst joint venture A&E Networks, including Blaze, Crime & Investigation, History, H2, and Lifetime. Disney will continue to be a 50 percent owner of A&E in areas outside of the European Economic Area

China seemingly approved too, no details found.

Brazil has to approve the dissolve of the Fox's channels or so

The remaining countries I am not sure about, the biggest one seems to be Russia = I didn't found any report about an approval so that one at least seems to be still open.

Any other detail known about to give up this or that for region ....?

List of countries still open?

As the stock on Sky gets sold by FOX, not sure who gets the money for that to which %. The other sales where more formulated like has to be sold by Disney or so.

Edited by terrestrial

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, terrestrial said:

I did a fast glance:

Fox - Disney shareholders approved already in ~ July.

in the US they have to give up / split from 22 regional FOX sport channels and the Murdochs will form a new Fox company out of

also Fox Soccer Plus

That one will start at 1st January 2019

At the end of July 2018 there were still at least 15 countries / regions open, China, Russia, India, Brazil, and the EU among them:

India approved at 12 August 2018

In the EU the approval was reported as of 6 November,

China seemingly approved too, no details found.

Brazil has to approve the dissolve of the Fox's channels or so

The remaining countries I am not sure about, the biggest one seems to be Russia = I didn't found any report about an approval so that one at least seems to be still open.

Any other detail known about to give up this or that for region ....?

List of countries still open?

As the stock on Sky gets sold by FOX, not sure who gets the money for that to which %. The other sales where more formulated like has to be sold by Disney or so.

There are 9 countries that have not approved the deal yet. They are:

China

Russia

Brazil

South Korea

Mexico

Israel

Japan

United Kingdom

Australia

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

There are 9 countries that have not approved the deal yet. They are:

China

Russia

Brazil

South Korea

Mexico

Israel

Japan

United Kingdom

Australia

Do you happen to know any dates for any of those countries? E.g. like 'papers... have to be in till latest... like they did it in the EU?

there were some remarks in the net about the thing being over maybe a bit earlier than expected. Expectations seem to be ~ (early?) summer 2019

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Do you happen to know any dates for any of those countries? E.g. like 'papers... have to be in till latest... like they did it in the EU?

there were some remarks in the net about the thing being over maybe a bit earlier than expected. Expectations seem to be ~ (early?) summer 2019

I wish I did, but I don't. I can't find any information on those countries. For all I know, some of them may have approved the merger already, but haven't officially announced it yet. I know China is rumored to be very close to approving the deal.

• Like 1

Amazon Among Bidders for Fox Regional Sports Networks: Report

- Amazon bids for the 22 regional sports channels that Disney must divest in

- Total worth of these 22 channels are in the region of 20-22 billion. Which means Disney’s deal is cheaper by that amount

- Other bidders are Sinclair, Tegna, Apollo and KKR

- Yankees wants one of the networks (Yes network) which is NY based and home of the Yankees. They already own 20% of the network and have first buy optioms

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

- Total worth of these 22 channels are in the region of 20-22 billion. Which means Disney’s deal is cheaper by that amount

People saying television is death general discourse really does not match with how much Fox was sold for.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Russia has approved the deal.

so accoding to the old list, with China and Russia aout of the way these are remaining?

Brazil

South Korea

Mexico

Israel

Japan

United Kingdom

Australia

Not sure about the UK

9 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

so accoding to the old list, with China and Russia aout of the way these are remaining?

Not sure about the UK

I don't really understand the details about the UK either. They should still be part of Europe, but until I hear differently, I will keep them on the list of countries that haven't officially approved the deal yet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, noname said:

I posted this in the Brazil forum this is important:

Thank you a lot

I am not surprised, especially the sport sector/part/percentage seems to be overly big in countries where both companies built up stations.

On 12/5/2018 at 6:55 PM, terrestrial said:

South Korea

Mexico

Israel

Japan

United Kingdom (???)

Australia 

thank you @ZeeSoh , I updated the list ot the remaing countries as far as 'known'.

I guess we will hear more in a few weeks, a new year,... might be a typical date for a ruling in this or that country too

• Like 1