grim22

Thursday #s: TLJ 17.8M, Jumanji 7.55M, TGS 2.1M

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

well I personally do not agree that it is a vocal minority that has a problem with the Last Jedi. There's definitely a significant number of people who have been put off by the film. You can't ignore certain data and just concentrate on others. I agree that it's not as hated as some people here will make it out to be but it's certainly not loved the way the force awakens was.

I definitely don't think the reception is as strong as TFA, but when you factor in the positives and the negatives I think it's at least RO levels.

9 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Good for you, buddy.  Ready to admit you don't like it yet?

Stop being so simple minded! 

You just want to say everyone who had an issue with the film as crazy idiotic fanboys with neckbeards.

:apocalypse:

22 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't agree that the reaction to the movie is mixed.  I think it is very positive overall with a vocal minority screaming like children. 

Every point of actual data will back this up.   

Those who champion it adore it and those on the other extreme abhor it. I do think the reaction is mostly positive but definitely more mixed than Force Awakens and Rogue One. Anecdotes are anecdotes but of the 20+ people I know that saw - non geek just family and friends aged 25 to 65 - no one has thought it above mediocre. I know that's meaningless but that was not the case at all with the last two amongst the same group of people.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

5 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

I definitely don't think the reception is as strong as TFA, but when you factor in the positives and the negatives I think it's at least RO levels.

Rogue One had the benefit of ending at a very high note and was a rolling boulder of a film. As a result, the faults of the film in the first half of the film are largely forgotten about. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

9 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

well I personally do not agree that it is a vocal minority that has a problem with the Last Jedi. There's definitely a significant number of people who have been put off by the film. You can't ignore certain data and just concentrate on others. I agree that it's not as hated as some people here will make it out to be but it's certainly not loved the way the force awakens was.

What "data" do you think we are ignoring? Did I miss something?

11 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

This.

• Thanks 1

I think WOM is pretty good overall, but you need insanely positive WOM for a sequel of a record-breaking movie to perform anywhere close to the first one. Spidey 2 grossed 92.5% of Spidey 1. That's the best performance I can remember for a sequel to a record-breaking movie over the last 20 years. That would require $866m for Last Jedi. Probably headed for somewhere between $700m and $750m.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think WOM is pretty good overall, but you need insanely positive WOM for a sequel of a record-breaking movie to perform anywhere close to the first one. Spidey 2 grossed 92.5% of Spidey 1. That's the best performance I can remember for a sequel to a record-breaking movie over the last 20 years. That would require $866m for Last Jedi. Probably headed for somewhere between $700m and $750m.

Spiderman 2 was seen as better than one though. 

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Agreed. That 3,77 multiplier of TFA is still goddamn unbelievable. A once-in a lifetime performance.

Besides that, Empires first run adjusts to 702M per BOM. So TLJ is in good company and still has a very good chance to gross a lot more than that. Furthermore, the 2nd parts of SW Trilogys are the lowest-grossing anyways, so a huge decline in raw numbers should have been expected anyway.

Spoiler

I still want it to top Avatar though :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Spiderman 2 was seen as better than one though. 

That's what I mean, it had insanely positive WOM. I don't believe Ultron had poor WOM, I think it had good WOM. But it dropped 26% from Avengers' total. A similar drop for Last Jedi would be around $690m. I think it will get above this number, but the reception seems a lot more similar to Ultron than Spidey 2.

I didn't hate TLJ like the very vocal minority but I've only seen it once and have no desire to see it again and I'm one of those people who can go see a movie 3x times, especially with MoviePass. It was just a mediocre film with some mundane subplots. 

4 minutes ago, harry713 said:

I assumed this had been posted here and discussed but I guess not. 

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/star-wars-last-jedi-backlash-alt-right-female-characters-1201910095/

This article is false, I know this because it was actually me, every single rating and review. All me.

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

What about Pirates?

Just now, harry713 said:

Deflection is your friend. 

Huh? Did you read the whole article. It's he said she said shit.

A Rotten Tomatoes representative told HuffPost they are taking the claim “very seriously” and have a team of “security, network, social, database experts who monitor all of our platforms and they haven’t seen any unusual activity.”

5 minutes ago, weresweresweres said:

What about Pirates?

POTC1's $305m domestic is cute but I wouldn't define it as record-breaking. It's a relatively easy number to surpass, much like how Guardians was able to do the same this year with its sequel. 

Edited by harry713
  • Like 1