grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

She can’t help looking hot, it’s just her breathing :P 

PS: Other post, it’s Lucasfilm not Lucas Arts, which is no more. That was Lucasfilm’s video game division :P

Well I was buzzed drinking beers as well..

However that meant I fell asleep as well

Xd

25 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

At my theater, The Greatest Showman's second screen (average screen) got its later showings scrapped on Saturday and Sunday for more Jumanji (the 4:00 on Sunday couldn't be scrapped because seats have sold). Like I said earlier, Showman is more of a morning movie, and if my audience was any indication today, it isn't really skewing to families.

Eh, I never really considered Greatest Showman a family movie. I always thought it was going to be a Walter Mitty/Hidden Figures, where it's skewed and mainly marketed towards adult audiences, in spite of a PG rating and Fox arguably wanting to appeal towards the youth (The trailer was attached to a handful of animated movies, and it also had Zefron and Zendaya)

• Like 2

But y'all have to remember that Lone Ranger had been in and out of development at Disney for a decade - it wasn't something that just "happened" and, due to the Ross era budget concerns it was cancelled at least once after both Depp and Verbinsky had signed on because Disney didn't like the budget (guess who won in the end.)

Lone Ranger to me will always stick out as the last of the Dick Cook era films to actually make it the screen, although long after both he and Ross had vacated the seat of power.

• Like 1

sorry if posted...Variety

Disney-Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is heading for a stellar $110 million at 4,232 North American sites over the four-day Christmas weekend, early estimates showed on Friday.

Sony’s “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” is leading the rest of the pack with about $35 million at 3,765 locations for the four days, followed by Universal’s “Pitch Perfect 3” with $30 million at 3,447 venues. Fox’s “The Greatest Showman” is performing in line with expectations with $14 million at 3,006 theaters while early estimates for Paramount’s “Downsizing” vary from $7 million to $11 million on 2,668 screens. Warner Bros.-Alcon’s “Father Figures” isn’t much of a player with $5 million at 2,902 sites.

Fox’s awards contender “The Post” is showing plenty of pull in limited release with about $1 million at nine locations. The Tom Hanks-Meryl Streep journalism drama, directed by Steven Spielberg, goes wide on Jan. 12.

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

But y'all have to remember that Lone Ranger had been in and out of development at Disney for a decade - it wasn't something that just "happened" and, due to the Ross era budget concerns it was cancelled at least once after both Depp and Verbinsky had signed on because Disney didn't like the budget (guess who won in the end.)

Lone Ranger to me will always stick out as the last of the Dick Cook era films to actually make it the screen, although long after both he and Ross had vacated the seat of power.

Who did they originally have for director/actors? 

Jumanji and Pitch Perfect 3 are doing really well (even if the latter is looking at a massive fall from the second but that seemed expected). The Greatest Showman is doing alright but I wouldn't be surprised if most of its audience is waiting until Christmas comes and goes to check it (FWIW my audience yesterday loved it - lots of applause when it ended). Downsizing is looking at ho-hum numbers, while Father Figures being a total flop is a shock to no one.

Audience score update:

Jumanji and Showman are still at 88% and 87%

Shape of Water: 85% (+1)

Darkest Hour: 83% (+1)

PP3: 56% (-10)

Father Figures: 56% (-6)

Downsizing: 42% (-3)

PP3 has dropped quite a bit. It's super lucky that the schedule is set up in its favor (it probably won't have 50%+ drops until Maze Runner at the earliest) because it'd be dropping like a rock in January otherwise.

On the other hand, it's a shame The Greatest Showman isn't making a whole lot. Even if it makes 10M next weekend, it'll be down to 6M or so on January 5 and more than likely under 4M on MLK weekend. 

• Like 2

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Who did they originally have for director/actors? 

It was only green lit originally when Depp and Verbinsky signed on - then Disney cancelled it like 6 months into that time of development because GV wouldn't lower the budget projections (remember they had had massive bombs in both Prince of Persia and Sorcerer's Apprentice back to back.) 

It's been long enough that I don't remember who the original Tonto / LR peeps were - could probably find them if I scrubbed some of the old Disney forums I was a part of back in the day (2003-2008).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Jumanji and Pitch Perfect 3 are doing really well (even if the latter is looking at a massive fall from the second but that seemed expected). The Greatest Showman is doing alright but I wouldn't be surprised if most of its audience is waiting until Christmas comes and goes to check it (FWIW my audience yesterday loved it - lots of applause when it ended). Downsizing is looking at ho-hum numbers, while Father Figures being a total flop is a shock to no one.

Everyone on my Facebook that has seen Showman has also raved about it - which I find interesting because there was nothing in the marketing that looked appealing and that is coming from a Musical Fan.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Audience score update:

PP3: 56% (-10)

Father Figures: 56% (-6)

Downsizing: 42% (-3)

:gold:

my wife told me last night after seeing an ad on TV that she wants to see Downsizing... always willing to give Payne a go (too much good credit there) but thats scary lol

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Everyone on my Facebook that has seen Showman has also raved about it - which I find interesting because there was nothing in the marketing that looked appealing and that is coming from a Musical Fan.

I didn't think it was great but I had a good time. I definitely see where the A CinemaScore came from though, it's a total feel-good movie.

• Like 1

Just now, narniadis said:

:gold:

my wife told me last night after seeing an ad on TV that she wants to see Downsizing... always willing to give Payne a go (too much good credit there) but thats scary lol

I thought about taking my dad to see it sometime this weekend, but he'd definitely be bored to tears based on that audience score and what I've heard :hahaha: 

• Like 1