grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

3 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

I mean, we know that RT had tampering, IMDB is pretty shit in general, and we have little idea what a mega release in December should look like with it's multi. We have other sources that seem to show WOM as not being Poor.

Ah yes, I forgot if CinemaScore says it is so, nothing else matters. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I would not argue it had poor WOM. Obviously did not have great WOM. But you need insane WOM to do something like Spidey 2 vs. Spidey 1. The odds of that happening are very low, no matter which franchise. 

Ultrons trashing in the Internet always fascinated me. Like, if it really was the trainwreck the Internet forums wanted to make you believe, it would have sunk like Spider-Man 3. But it didnt. It had normal holds and drops for a front-loaded SH sequel.

Btw, i like Age of Ultron. Though its nickname Age of Dulltron will never be not funny to me :lol:

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I would not argue it had poor WOM. Obviously did not have great WOM. But you need insane WOM to do something like Spidey 2 vs. Spidey 1. The odds of that happening are very low, no matter which franchise. 

I haven't said it would mean the WOM is toxic either. I mean the same thing by poor and mixed WOM. Toxic WOM would be if it did like a 2.7x or something in December. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ah yes, I forgot if CinemaScore says it is so, nothing else matters. 

Survey Monkey did a poll, and Comscore as well. But you know, I did say sources, with an s, meaning plural. but your snark is surely a compelling argument. I'll now accept I am wrong, and that you are correct.

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

frozen2 and ww2 both release in 2019. their predecessors did 400+ dom, so will be interesting to see how these movies do compared to spidey2 vs spidey1.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Ultrons trashing in the Internet always fascinated me. Like, if it really was the trainwreck the Internet forums wanted to make you believe, it would have sunk like Spider-Man 3. But it didnt. It had normal holds and drops for a front-loaded SH sequel.

Btw, i like Age of Ultron. Though its nickname Age of Dulltron will never be not funny to me :lol:

It's certainly not bad but everytime I watch I get less enthralled with it.  It's definitely at the back end of the MCU for me

1 minute ago, Sand-omJC said:

Survey Monkey did a poll, and Comscore as well. But you know, I did say sources, with an s, meaning plural. but your snark is surely a compelling argument. I'll now accept I am wrong, and that you are correct.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone on these boards use either of those two in defense of a movie's WOM, but alright then. 

Edited by MovieMan89

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So we could very conceivably end up with a 50% RT audience score, a prequel level IMDB score, and a 3x multi in December and people would still argue the WOM wasn't poor?

Lord have mercy. 

People still argued BvS didn't have poor WOM all the way to JL...and even after JL, I'm pretty sure some would STILL say BvS had decent WOM...

Uber-fans are gonna uber-fan:)...

• Like 1

I don't know if there is more to the "disappointing" legs than Star Wars transitioning from each movie being a mega-event to just another franchise. We are not there yet and obviously TLJ's DOM will be amazing, but with 4 movies in 2.5 years Disney is not wasting any time.

And if Rian Johnson's new (unrelated spin-off/whatever it is) trilogy is any sign, they are not going to slow down. The fact that Disney announced three more movies before the release of TLJ shows that anything is possible - except fewer SW films. Especially because they seem to have no clue what these movies should be about:

Have you given thought to where in the Star Wars timeline this trilogy will fit? For instance, would it takes place before the Skywalker Saga or after?

Johnson: I'm at the very beginning of trying to come up with it, and honestly, timeline-wise, I'm not sure yet. In a way it's interesting, but in a way it's the least interesting part of it to me. I'm more thinking of what's the story going to be, who is it going to follow? What elements is it going to have? What kind of drama is in it? My head right now is more in that place. I haven't really, really gotten into it. Right now I'm mostly excited by the potential and just starting to form little clusters of ideas of what it might become.

Let's wait a few years to see if TLJ really had bad WOM, or if it was just following a predictable decline for the franchise after TFA.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone on these boards use either of those two in defense of a movie's WOM, but alright then. 

I certainly never heard anyone on these boards use numbers that don't exist yet to say WOM is bad, but alright then.

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not feeling the early whisperer today?:)  

early whisperer's 27.9 seems a bit high but plausible if the evening/night slowdown is not heavy :). would be nice to get some legit indication of where the day is headed. also curious about Jumanji's number.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm talking about the reception and the potential effect going forward. 

And I'm not saying a 3x multi is set in stone now, I'm saying it's possible and hypothetically what that would mean about the WOM if it happens. 

Except even the reviled DCEU is showing that prior films haven't had as much influence on future films as expected by some. 

Suicide Squad massively overperformed.

Wonder Woman obliterated expectations.

Justice League imploded, yes.  And that was a massively troubled production that was the subject of a LOT of negative press and buzz in the entertainment industry.   And it turned out to be... Not so great (though better than BvS at least)

For all of the drama surrounding SW films, none of the troubles that have hit the DCEU has come close to happening to them.  At most there is concern trolling over Kathleen Kennedy's inability to stick with a director.  But when it comes to the quality of the films, the entertainment trades have damn near been unanimous in their verdict.

So, maybe wait for the trades to bring the knives out for SW before presuming they'll start to underperform.

(This also ignores the stellar success that Marvel films have had.  Years and years into their runs and there is still no sign of Marvel Fatigue to be seen)

What I will agree to is if Lucasfilm actually puts out a film that is savaged by the press (or at least given a giant 'meh'), then, sure, there could be problems.  Just like every other film franchise then.  But I'll hold off the End of the World placards until that actually starts to happen.

2 minutes ago, DARth DAR said:

It's certainly not bad but everytime I watch I get less enthralled with it.  It's definitely at the back end of the MCU for me

To be fair, i last watched it in early 2016 or so. Might want to revisit it to see if its still as entertaining as i remember it to be.

• Like 1

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

I don't know if there is more to the "disappointing" legs than Star Wars transitioning from each movie being a mega-event to just another franchise. We are not there yet and obviously TLJ's DOM will be amazing, but with 4 movies in 2.5 years Disney is not wasting any time.

And if Rian Johnson's new (unrelated spin-off/whatever it is) trilogy is any sign, they are not going to slow down. The fact that Disney announced three more movies before the release of TLJ shows that anything is possible - except fewer SW films. Especially because they seem to have no clue what these movies should be about:

Let's wait a few years to see if TLJ really had bad WOM, or if it was just following a predictable decline for the franchise after TFA.

And that's the problem. When Disney first unveiled this annual release strategy I argued instantly that it would eventually put the franchise in danger of losing its juggernaut clout, and no one wanted to agree, saying SW would always demand a huge gross even with 10 movies in a decade. 3 movies in and the path to how that might not necessarily be the case is already clear. The franchise isn't immune to becoming "just another franchise" like many argued it was. That's why Disney needs to stand back and re-evaluate if WOM looks mixed on this and Solo disappoints. How about we get an actual hiatus after IX? 

1 minute ago, DARth DAR said:

And just think how many times we heard Star Wars was dead after ROTS

Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

:ph34r:

Because we all knew there was like .0001% Lucas would ever actually make the sequel trilogy, not because no one wanted them. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And that's the problem. When Disney first unveiled this annual release strategy I argued instantly that it would eventually put the franchise in danger of losing its juggernaut clout, and no one wanted to agree, saying SW would always demand a huge gross even with 10 movies in a decade. 3 movies in and the path to how that might not necessarily be the case is already clear. The franchise isn't immune to becoming "just another franchise" like many argued it was. That's why Disney needs to stand back and re-evaluate if WOM looks mixed on this and Solo disappoints. How about we get an actual hiatus after IX? 

What, pray tell, is wrong with SW being 'just another franchise'.

See, that is where I draw a difference with you. As long as the films are very good to great, keep churning them out, I say.

(For the record, I think Lucasfilm has gone 3 for 3 on the 'very good'/'great' scale; you, I know, disagree. ;))

• Like 2