filmlover

Best Actress Predictions 2018

Just watched The Wife and I'm kind of shocked by it. I thought Glenn Close would get her career win for a forgettable ho-hum movie like Juliane Moore and Jeff Bridges or Meryl in Iron Lady but this movie is flat out embarrasing.

Of course Glenn is a legend and deserves an oscar or two but not like this.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Honestly, in a year filled with great leading women performances, Close winning for the Wife is kind of a slap in the face.

Granted the academy is also going all in for BoHo and GB, so?

We all know it's really gonna be a legacy Oscar. I don't think The Wife is among Close's best work but that just speaks volumes to how many excellent performances she's given that she could/should have won for over the years. Oh well, seeing her on stage finally holding her award will be a moment at least.

Glenn just needs to be lead/supporting in a decent movie for the first time since the 90s. She managed to get two nominations (and a near-win) with 2 really bad movies just because, if she's ever again in a decent awardsy movie she's winning.

11 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Glenn just needs to be lead/supporting in a decent movie for the first time since the 90s. She managed to get two nominations (and a near-win) with 2 really bad movies just because, if she's ever again in a decent awardsy movie she's winning.

Agreed, although it does feel a tad cruel that everything seemed to finally be swinging her way only for the rug to get pulled out from under her by the end. I guess the difference between this and when Julianne Moore finally won as the lone nominee for her movie was that when Jules won it really was a super weak year for the category (Felicity Jones was the only one in a Best Picture nominee and she was a coattail nom off of the Best Actor frontrunner at best). If Close can snag a role in a movie people will actually care about again, I think she'll have the support to finally get her Oscar without waiting for an Honorary one, especially when she likely has some sympathy after this year.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I guess the difference between this and when Julianne Moore finally won as the lone nominee for her movie was that when Jules won it really was a super weak year for the category (Felicity Jones was the only one in a Best Picture nominee and she was a coattail nom off of the Best Actor frontrunner at best). 

Weak field is really the only way these kind of overdue narratives for films no one remembers happen. Bridges, Meryl, Moore all the recent ones had a very weak field.