Eric Onion

Sorry to Bother You l Annapurna l July 6, 2018 (Limited), July 13 (Wide) l Lakeith Stanfield, Tessa Thompson, Armie Hammer, and a bunch of other people l From Sundance

http://deadline.com/2018/02/christian-bale-dick-cheney-adam-mckay-sorry-to-bother-you-sundance-release-dates-movies-1202283248/

"In addition, Annapurna will release its recent Sundance pick-up, the Boots Riley dark social comedy Sorry to Bother You on June 29. In an alternate present-day version of Oakland, telemarketer Cassius Green (Lakeith Stanfield) discovers a magical key to professional success, which propels him into a macabre universe. Tessa Thompson, Armie Hammer, Jermaine Fowler, David Cross, Terry Crews, Patton Oswalt, Danny Glover, Steven Yeun, and Omari Hardwick also star."

I assume this will be in limited?

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 3

Lakeith

:ohmygod:

Tessa

:ohmygod:

Arm and Hammer

:kitschjob:

19 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

discovers a magical key to professional success, which propels him into a macabre universe.

So he walks through a door to corporate America? Can't wait either way.

I hope June 29th is a limited release day, because there are already four wide releases on that date, many of which seem like they are apparently too afraid to counterprogram with Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom directly. Too many films on a given date can lessen the profit for all of them.

28 minutes ago, slambros said:

I hope June 29th is a limited release day, because there are already four wide releases on that date, many of which seem like they are apparently too afraid to counterprogram with Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom directly. Too many films on a given date can lessen the profit for all of them.

One really should move to it, after all, IO did great against it in the long run, but none of these are on Pixar's brand recognition / counterprogrammy enough.

• Like 1

*looks at the current limited release date (June 29th)*

*looks at the poster's date (July)*

*assumes that Annapurna wants to release this wide after a limited opening*

I think Annapurna has something with this film that they may not have had with their others from 2017: passion. They've made it clear that they love this film, and that trust certainly goes a long way. I'm willing to think that, with everything they learned last year, Annapurna can go full throttle and release this film in a grand fashion that takes advantage of buzz. In terms of social impact, this could be like Get Out, but it's up to Annapurna to market efficiently. 

• Like 1