Hiccup23

CAYOM Year 3: Discussion

34 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I would either move Kim Possible or Miraculous to said Thanksgiving spot probably Possible since I think August 2nd has an opener.

Actually both of those need to stay where they are unless something replaces them - KP is the only wide opener on 8/2 and Miraculous is one of the two required Christmas openers.

• Like 1

Looks like I may have to contribute a bomb that @Isle of Pasta privately suggested to me a couple days back.

Will have to do some minor casting tweaks and some minor finesse of plot summary. But otherwise it's ready to go once I'm home.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

@4815162342 I haven't read it, though judging from the character list it's based on Modern Warfare?

Either way, I'm gonna make this clear now so it's not a gut punch or me "going for shock value" later - my prediction for this is gonna be pretty low, even if I personally like it. Call of Duty sells zillions of games, but it's an action-FPS with its own fervent fanbase who more or less play it for the multiplayer. Which isn't to say that the campaigns don't have good stories, but which IS to say that the fanbase has already played through those stories, and they got to be immersed in it and be the hero. And then they got to spend months in online deathmatches. Why would they pay to go sit in a theatre for two and a half hours to watch Kit Harrington try to act his way through a condensed version of a story they "lived" a decade ago?

So yeah not trying to be rude and I hope it's a really solid read. Just giving you a heads-up that my comp for this is probably going to be, like... Warcraft. But with lower overseas numbers because of the American military jingoism inherent in the brand name.

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

@Isle of Pasta your wish is granted

tumblr_my4tqqjlSf1qzdga6o1_400.gif

And the actual bomb I had in mind might still happen by tomorrow night.

You know I’d move Kim Possible in a heartbeat so you can a have IMAX release and a longer run in August instead of opening against Howling Commandos and The Scavenger Wars.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

You know I’d move Kim Possible in a heartbeat so you can a have IMAX release and a longer run in August instead of opening against Howling Commandos and The Scavenger Wars.

As long as @Alpha doesn't show up and post a suddenly-completed Star Fox within the next 20 hours, @4815162342 can already get IMAX. Besides, I'm pretty sure he chose that date because it's the weekend before Independence Day in America.

4 hours ago, Xillix said:

@4815162342 I haven't read it, though judging from the character list it's based on Modern Warfare?

Either way, I'm gonna make this clear now so it's not a gut punch or me "going for shock value" later - my prediction for this is gonna be pretty low, even if I personally like it. Call of Duty sells zillions of games, but it's an action-FPS with its own fervent fanbase who more or less play it for the multiplayer. Which isn't to say that the campaigns don't have good stories, but which IS to say that the fanbase has already played through those stories, and they got to be immersed in it and be the hero. And then they got to spend months in online deathmatches. Why would they pay to go sit in a theatre for two and a half hours to watch Kit Harrington try to act his way through a condensed version of a story they "lived" a decade ago?

So yeah not trying to be rude and I hope it's a really solid read. Just giving you a heads-up that my comp for this is probably going to be, like... Warcraft. But with lower overseas numbers because of the American military jingoism inherent in the brand name.

No offense taken. I'll just say that given the following niche properties/game adaptations doing well:

Voltron: Defenders of the Universe - $322,572,086

Pokémon: The Journey Begins - $293,102,238

To the Moon - $253,899,105

The Human Revolution - $237,922,103

The Curse of Monkey Island - $189,757,008

He-Man - $169,047,470

etc

We're no longer in a universe that doing comps with real-life VG adaptations makes any sense.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cookie said:

You motherfucker.

3 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It made the most sense to drop it in as close to the 4th of July as possible from a marketing standpoint. I actually thought to do Memorial Day first, but God of War was nicely camped there and I didn't want to tangle with that.

Even though a major subtext of the underlying game is that a business-as-usual brash intervention into Middle East affairs by the US et al explodes into massive egg on the face. 

5 hours ago, Xillix said:

But I'm also not expecting giant numbers either. The 2.0 adaptation did $261,284,564 domestic in Year 1 of that iteration, and I'd honestly be more than fine with a 175-225 finish with a not horrible OS ratio. The first game is the most straightforward and generic of the 3, Nuke Scene aside, so I'd be happy with a solid enough performance to build on for the real spectacles of #2 and #3.

I dropped it in because I wanted to have at least something release and it seemed like an appropriate fit. And again, it wasn't my intended bomb. Spaghetti just suggested it while trying to guess what the bomb would be. That original intended bomb is still a possibility, a clean schedule date permitting.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Scavenger Wars will be posted in the next few hours but nobody read it because I'm going to finish Countdown then come back to edit SW down since it's long as shit (I'm posting it mainly to guarantee a version is up before the deadline).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, cookie said:

Would explain all the side-tangents not being cut out.

And I still cut out plenty of them (including the entire Montreal mission and the famous newscaster is an AI program subplot) :sparta:

• Like 1