WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

56 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

A phenomenon outperforms expectations by capturing the zeitgeist. They also do not necessarily require massive numbers to qualify. Wonder Woman is a better example of a phenomenon than Age of Ultron despite grossing less at the box office.

True. And there are plenty of examples of films that have grossed even less than Wonder Woman and also became cultural phenomenons that transcended and soared past films with much bigger grosses: Thelma and Louise, Silence of the Lambs, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery,  Napoleon Dynamite, Friday the 13th (yes, F13), etc. Meanwhile, stuff like Jumanji are massive financial blockbusters that seem...inconsequential and after-thoughtish...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Just wanna talk about how much Hop's run in 2011 money absolutely fucking dominates Peter Rabbit's run. Just totally pisses all over it. Hop was an ORIGINAL STORY people and a CULTURAL FUCKING PHENOMENON. 

Hop sucks donkey balls.

Also this is anecdotal evidence of course but I was in a near sold out audience for Annihilation (granted, it was a 91-seat theater), and I didn’t hear one negative comment coming out.  A few people (including me) clapped at the end too.  So many great reactions during the final act.

• Like 2