CJohn

Early Friday Numbers (The Lorax - 17.5M; Project X - 8.2M)

With Lorax ending up as high as 60M (maybe) why couldn't Carter end up as high, right? I read that this is the first blockbuster in a while, so the potential for breakout is even higher?

See, this is NOT how it works. Spider Man 3 and Shrek the Third underwhelming meant Pirates 3 should smack them both, oh wait, that didn't happen.I've been saying Lorax would breakout for various reasons outlined in my thread and the 2012 BO climate made it get a little higher, maybe, but still there are reasons, not just "I think JC will be good so people should watch it," did Sucker Punch breakout? Did Race to Witch Mountain? Please use some sense.

i agree BK007, but thats just how the boards are--there will be those who give reasons for predictions and then those that give no reasons at all (to the point its obvious they are are fanboys rooting for a movie or are just rooting for a movie to fail)i have no problem with either way, either is fine by me, that is how it is here and also how it was on BOMi happen to personally prefer reasons given out so I just learn to ignore predictions that don't

Edited by film2kz
  • Like 1

Yep easily one of the top 5 shows ever. And his character was not the heart of the show, that was Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton as Eric and Tammy Taylor, but Tim Riggins the character Kitsch played was the soul.I'm going to stop because my love for Wall-E is nothing compared to my love for FNL.

it is, in my opinion, the greatest drama of all time. that show has my all-time favorite television characters. i keep looking for updates on whether the movie is really happening or not, but haven't seen anything recently. Edited by RyneOh1040

I knew Project X would go up. Night shows would always be packed with this type of movie. The Lorax will hit 60m off of a 17.5m Friday, maybe even closer to 65m depending on the Saturday jump. Can't freaking wait for next weekend, it's going to be epic in here.

See, this is NOT how it works. Spider Man 3 and Shrek the Third underwhelming meant Pirates 3 should smack them both, oh wait, that didn't happen.I've been saying Lorax would breakout for various reasons outlined in my thread and the 2012 BO climate made it get a little higher, maybe, but still there are reasons, not just "I think JC will be good so people should watch it," did Sucker Punch breakout? Did Race to Witch Mountain? Please use some sense.

I was talking OW, must have missed the part on first blockbuster opening of the year, for 2007 it was 300. Where did you get RtWW and Sucker Punch from?

WOW!!!

Well, personally I think it's insulting to kids when someone claims something is "too highbrow" for them as I'm sure there are a lot of children who do genuinely love Wall-E. There may be valid criticisms you could make of the film, but that is not one of them. I'm sure those involved would consider it a complement. Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I knew Project X would go up. Night shows would always be packed with this type of movie. The Lorax will hit 60m off of a 17.5m Friday, maybe even closer to 65m depending on the Saturday jump. Can't freaking wait for next weekend, it's going to be epic in here.

65 seems high..But 60 mill could be the target

See, this is NOT how it works. Spider Man 3 and Shrek the Third underwhelming meant Pirates 3 should smack them both, oh wait, that didn't happen.

I've been saying Lorax would breakout for various reasons outlined in my thread and the 2012 BO climate made it get a little higher, maybe, but still there are reasons, not just "I think JC will be good so people should watch it," did Sucker Punch breakout? Did Race to Witch Mountain? Please use some sense.

There's nothing wrong with what Neo said.

JC is the first big budget release of the year which targets all four quadrants. How is this comparable to Sucker Punch-a fanboy movie? The releases this year have targeted 1-2 potential target audiences. JC is supposedly for everybody, kids, male/female, adults who've read the books (there's some). The potential for JC to break out is big.....i mean it was big until they fucked up the marketing. i still hope... :)

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with what Neo said.

JC is the first big budget release of the year which targets all four quadrants. How is this comparable to Sucker Punch-a fanboy movie? The releases this year have targeted 1-2 potential target audiences. JC is supposedly for everybody, kids, male/female, adults who've read the books (there's some). The potential for JC to break out is big.....i mean it was big until they fucked up the marketing. i still hope... :)

How does John carter target all 4 quadrants? I'd say it's an Internet fanboys dream more then anything.

i thought Disney might have been able to bring out the family-audience to JC (assuming they are advertising it like crazy on disney channel) to balance out any low attendance from young males or another groupbut now with Lorax taking in a huge family audience right before JC comes out i think that possibility is now zero

Amazing numbers. I am much more surprised at Project X then I am about the Lorax though. Up until like 2 weeks ago, I didn't see even 1 ad for that movie. As usual, WB marketing pulls off another feat.

They've been quite aggressive with marketing for weeks. Then again, I watch way too much TV so I've seen a hundred ads for it.

I think Lorax is looking at at least a 50% increase today. Journey's weekday numbers were really weak, which indicates kids weren't on spring break, so a $65m OW could indeed be in the cards.And a lot better for Project X. It'll probably end up as frontloaded as Kick-Ass, leading to a $20m OW. 2012 is white hot. B)

How does John carter target all 4 quadrants? I'd say it's an Internet fanboys dream more then anything.

It's a popcorn blockbuster, a crowd pleasing movie. easy to please the kids and appeal to adults. kinda like Pirates. at least that is what it's supposed to be.

I'm really surprised at that huge number for Lorax. $17.4m is just insane considering how animated films bitterly disappointed last year. With a $60m OW, this will end up with a larger total than Kung Fu Panda 2 and Cars 2. Fantastic.

I think Lorax is looking at at least a 50% increase today. Journey's weekday numbers were really weak, which indicates kids weren't on spring break, so a $65m OW could indeed be in the cards.And a lot better for Project X. It'll probably end up as frontloaded as Kick-Ass, leading to a $20m OW. 2012 is white hot. B)

A 50% increase would be the most shocking thing of 2012 yet. $26m Saturday? Not happening, IMO. Maybe a 35% increase.