baumer

Thoroughbreds (2018)

Grade it  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

No joke, we went to a recliner theater and I feel asleep somewhere between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 for a good 5 or 10 minutes. It felt long for 90 minutes. The girls were fine, but everything Just felt so hollow. Pity this was Anton’s last roll. It was really nothing to write home about. 

• Like 1

An interesting addition to the list of movies about spoiled rich white girls gone bad that's one of the more unique movies I've seen in some time, if not exactly one of the best. It's a very chilly film for sure, and it kinda just ends when it reaches its conclusion, but it's well-made (one very long take late in the movie is especially impressive) and the darkly humorous creative touches work. Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joy are excellent and allow us to buy into this completely fucked up friendship. It's worth seeing for sure; sadly, I suspect most people are just gonna check it out because it marks the final movie of Anton Yelchin completed weeks before his death at 27 in a freak accident. His performance here is a heartbreaking reminder of the talent that he brought to all of his roles beyond Pavel Chekov (the Star Trek role that's likely to define his unfortunately brief legacy). B

The script was intriguing as it dealt with some isolated nut jobs.  The direction and music were top notch.  I thought the script gave the viewer a little bit more to work with, then say, The Neon Demon which gave you almost no information.  I did not get the last part with 

Spoiler

the dreams

but I will find the answer online soon.  The lighting and house set decorations make it worth re-watching to have on for background noise.  I give it a B, if it was an art-house mess, I would have scored it higher.

With its diabolically dark approach, Thoroughbreds isn't going to be for everyone; that said, if you can appreciate pitch-dark comedy with unrepentantly twisted characters, it's a fierce, clever, and at times genuinely surprising ride that taps into the oft-tread realm of suburban discontent in a fresh, inspired manner. The script is razor-sharp in its dialogue and observations, and its pivotal scenes crackle with tension despite a lack of big onscreen action. Leads Anya Taylor-Joy and Olivia Cooke had both been very impressive prior to this point, but this film registers as the strongest work in each actress's career thus far. Taylor-Joy branches out from the naive deer-in-the-headlights types she played in The Witch and Split (though she still conveys impressively complex emotions in her facial expressions) with her aloof, disaffected Lily; it's always clear that there's something darker brewing within her, and Taylor-Joy does a terrific job of blending Lily's polished external presentation with her internal anger. Cooke is equally impressive as the perhaps-sociopathic Amanda, delivering seemingly shocking lines with a matter-of-factness that consistently registers as darkly funny. After seeing her in a much more conventional role in Ready Player One, it's refreshing to see Cooke challenge herself with a role that calls on her to bring three-dimensionality to a character who claims to feel nothing. They are excellent scene partners and carry the film without any issue. Most of the supporting performers don't have much of note to do, save for the late Anton Yelchin in a highly amusing performance as a burnout "entrepreneur" with a greatly exaggerated sense of his coolness and abilities. The film goes to such dark places with such glee that I imagine audiences who go in expecting a more conventional narrative will abhor the turns it takes, but it's such a wickedly clever dark comedy that it feels destined to find a much-deserved cult audience in the years to come.

A-

• Like 1

I didn't find this fun in the way that Heathers is or comedic at all (saw AV Club call it a dark comedy? - not sure where I was supposed to laugh).  I found it incredibly mean spirited and I'm okay with films being that if they have something worthwhile to say like Funny Games...but this didn't. It took itself pretty seriously and I guessed Olivia Cooke was a sociopath right when she imitated the picture at the beginning.

The way they con Anton Yelchins character is just nasty and Cooke comes off as an actual sociopath, not a satirization of one. And Ana Taylor Joy is pretty much just as bad. She unknowingly drugs her friend and than stabs her step father to death because she's unhappy with her life.

I dunno, this left a really bad taste in my mouth and I watched it right after enduring nearly 3 hours of grueling psychological/physical torture scenes from Red Sparrow....so that's saying something. I'm not a fan of these mean spirited films like The Voices and this definitely reminded me of that type of tone.

Had no idea that's what this was going in (besides the good reviews) but like the actresses...and yeah, I really didn't like this movie. Actually kind of hated it.

I feel like the writers who come up with these films have worse mental issues than actual horror writers. They have to understand sociopaths really well to be able to write them this convincingly. I hope no young adult looks up to these girls (and sadly saw some of that on Twitter). 

D (it would be an F without the acting)

Edited by somebody85

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I didn't find this comedic at all. I found it incredibly mean spirited and guessed Olivia Cooke was a sociopath right when she looked at the picture at the beginning. This wasn't fun in the way that Heathers is or has something to say like Funny Games so I couldn't enjoy it.

The way they con Anton Yelchins character is just nasty and Cooke comes off as an actual sociopath not a satirization of one. And Ana Taylor Joy is pretty much just as bad. She unknowingly drugs her friend and than stabs her step father to death because she's unhappy with her life.

I mean, yeah. Cooke is an actual sociopath and Taylor-Joy carries out a murder. There's a natural (imo) dark humor to their interactions with each other and other people (especially Yelchin) but this was never supposed to be a full-on satire or another Heathers, this is mean people doing mean shit. 

14 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I feel like the writers who come up with these films are kind of sick in the head more so than actual horror writers. They have to understand sociopaths really well to be able to write convincing characters and they totally do that here. I hope no young adult looks up or really relates to these girls. Wanted to forget about it pretty soon after watching it.

Understanding people is kind of a prerequisite if you want to be a good writer of anything. Doesn't mean it makes you sick in the head.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I mean, yeah. Cooke is an actual sociopath and Taylor-Joy carries out a murder. There's a natural (imo) dark humor to their interactions with each other and other people (especially Yelchin) but this was never supposed to be a full-on satire or another Heathers, this is mean people doing mean shit. 

Understanding people is kind of a prerequisite if you want to be a good writer of anything. Doesn't mean it makes you sick in the head.

I understand. I find sociopaths fascinating but I don't want to see a film where that type of personality is a protagonist when it involves a lot of manipulation and murder.

I felt like I needed a shower after this more so than Red Sparrow. And I didn't find their interactions humorous at all. I found the dialogue too convincing to laugh at because I've seen actual documentaries where people act exactly like that who have carried out some nasty stuff.

Mean people doing mean shit works in horror for me because I can treat that more like a fictional story instead of something that feels a lot realer...that doesn't amount to anything but the crime being committed. And the message about social media at the end was so shoe horned in unlike Ingrid Goes West which actually earned it. 

If it had something else to say about society or these types of personalities at the end (or Anna Taylor Joy paid for what she did) maybe I would have felt differently but to me, this just came off as a nasty experience.

By the writers comment, I don't know who sits down and writes a script like this and wants to film it.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 9:08 AM, somebody85 said:

I understand. I find sociopaths fascinating but I don't want to see a film where that type of personality is a protagonist when it involves a lot of manipulation and murder.

I felt like I needed a shower after this more so than Red Sparrow. And I didn't find their interactions humorous at all. I found the dialogue too convincing to laugh at because I've seen actual documentaries where people act exactly like that who have carried out some nasty stuff.

Mean people doing mean shit works in horror for me because I can treat that more like a fictional story instead of something that feels a lot realer...that doesn't amount to anything but the crime being committed. And the message about social media at the end was so shoe horned in unlike Ingrid Goes West which actually earned it. 

If it had something else to say about society or these types of personalities at the end (or Anna Taylor Joy paid for what she did) maybe I would have felt differently but to me, this just came off as a nasty experience.

By the writers comment, I don't know who sits down and writes a script like this and wants to film it.

sorry that not everyone wants to make superhero films and hangover ripoffs!

50 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Lol I was super confused when I saw 3 D ratings for this.  There are really some people who dislike it that much?

Might change mine to an F actually. Complete waste of time, utterly vapid and dull

Thoroughbreds is a fun little movie. The dark humor is refreshing in this era of feel-good indie comedy, and most of it hits strongly. Finley is clearly trying to say something about the wealth gap and how that causes the dehumanization of those poorer, but it’s not particularly revolutionary or interesting. This is all forgivable though thanks to the stylish camerawork and excellent performances.

Taylor-Joy adds another great lead performance to her unique filmography and Yelchin’s final role really captures what made him such a treasure, making a small role really sing strongly. However, this is Cooke’s movie easily, commanding the screen every time she appears, making an incredibly compelling character even more nuanced with a powerful performance.

Finley’s script, although lacking in depth, still is really enjoyable to follow, and it’s a flashy movie that’s impossible not to enjoy on some level. Thoroughbreds is a charming dark comedy that transcends its failed satire thanks to some excellent performances and a sharp script. A very good time. B+