SLAM!

Revenge | May 11th, 2018 | Neon | French grindhouse action thriller | no longer a wide release

Revenge_2017_poster.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenge_(2017_film)

*Young distributor Neon cracks its knuckles.*

Neon has decided to release Revenge, a grindhouse action thriller that debuted at last year's Toronto International Film Festival, in wide release (according to Box Office Mojo). The film is from French filmmakers, but appears to be in the English language. The film is about a young woman who decides to get grisly revenge after she is raped by her millionaire lover's friend.

Revenge releases on May 11th.

Edited by slambros

Due to the NSFW nature of the trailer that I saw, I have decided not to post a trailer of the film in this thread. In fact, I thought about whether or not I even wanted to make this thread for what is apparently a new wide release, based on the very grotesque content displayed in the trailer; but a new wide release is a new wide release I guess. You don't have to support a film to be its thread owner, right?

5 minutes ago, slambros said:

Due to the NSFW nature of the trailer that I saw, I have decided not to post a trailer of the film in this thread. In fact, I thought about whether or not I even wanted to make this thread for what is apparently a new wide release, based on the very grotesque content displayed in the trailer; but a new wide release is a new wide release I guess. You don't have to support a film to be its thread owner, right?

Redband trailers get posted here all the time. It's okay.

22 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Redband trailers get posted here all the time. It's okay.

Okay. I am just hesitant to post a trailer like this my first time because the things I saw in the trailer weren't things I could handle watching. But I do understand that others are able to watch it, and that's alright. It helps to know that it's okay to post those trailers going forward, but I will always add an NSFW warning in case someone may need it as much as I do.

Edited by slambros

It's not dubbed in English, the lead character is American (she's the lead in Rings) and the three guys are French, they speak to each other in French and to her in English.

I guess it's kind of fitting to release this now, the whole thing is pretty much a metaphor for sexual assault in the workplace and how the victim is treated like an inconvenience and the men do anything to protect their friend.

Also I can see this having a very hard time getting an R rating.

Edited by Boxofficerules
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

This is getting a wide release? I saw it a few weeks ago and it was very good but I can’t imagine it would do very well. Less than $5 million maybe, unless they market the Hell out of it. I can’t imagine it’s something the GA will go for.

I feel like Neon is getting cocky after the success they had last year with I, Tonya. First, getting Assassination Nation from Sundance with an obligation for a wide release. Then, giving Borg vs. McEnroe a wide release. Now this.

A24, in comparison, definitely has more limited releases than they do wide releases. But they've gotten to a point where they are able to do more wide releases because they've gained more experience and credibility. But Neon is still a fledging in comparison. They are exciting, for sure, but I feel like they're rushing in a way that A24 wasn't.

Hopefully the inevitable consequences of this approach guides Neon to make more calculated moves in the future. I don't want them to end up like Open Road.

14 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I really want to see this. Are there any news that it might be available on VoD in the near future?

It's available to rent/buy on iTunes and Amazon. Coming to Shudder in September.

29 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It's on VOD right now in the US

29 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It's available to rent/buy on iTunes and Amazon. Coming to Shudder in September.

It's on Google Play, too.