Eric Duncan

Breakthrough l Fox l April 17, 2019 l Chrissy Metz and Topher Grace l Disney's first Fox movie l NOT THE RELIGION THREAD

1 hour ago, TLK said:

Trailer says it is opening on Easter. Does that mean April 19th or is it still keeping the April 12th date ?

I think they might as well shift it to April 19th; The Curse of La Llorona is the only wide release that currently occupies that date, and well, they shouldn't miss the opportunity. Simply put, this Spring/Easter season isn't nearly as packed as it was last year in terms of Faith-Based films. Fox needs to be loud and clear about claiming that date before another film is placed there; that way, it won't have to compete against four other films.

In the meantime, I watched this trailer for the first time just now, and I think this film looks very good and well-produced for a Faith-Based feature; Chrissy Metz is a great actress, Topher Grace is giving it his all just as he did in BlacKkKlansman... I'm really grateful to see 20th Century Fox green-lighting a film like this.

I might be biased, because a friend of mine has been hospitalized in a similar way to the boy in the film, so I've experienced a similar need for a miracle to this film's story, and I can relate much more to the premise. I've heard of many different instances like these as a Christian, but I've never really gone through one the way I am now.

(If anyone reading this wants to help pray for my friend's healing and recovery, I really appreciate it.)

Edited by Slambros

1 hour ago, ChipMunky said:

Films like this are dangerous to society.

I disagree. This film portrays a family struggling to cope with something traumatic. "Miracle" occurrences happen regarding medical emergencies very often--I can attest to this because I've just witnessed a "miracle" occurrence over the past few months. But it's good for people to exercise hope. People like the mother in this film aren't necessarily asking for a miracle; they're applying their faith and allowing themselves to be hopeful for positive news. Suggesting that a film like this is "dangerous to society" is giving oneself over to a "dangerous" misunderstanding as to what the majority of modern faithful are expecting from the connection with God they've sought for themselves. This is a perfectly fine film, because, in the worst of circumstances, prayer is often the only thing people can turn to for hope. This is about hope, and the mentally healthy action of putting our hope in something other than ourselves.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I disagree. This film portrays a family struggling to cope with something traumatic. "Miracle" occurrences happen regarding medical emergencies very often--I can attest to this because I've just witnessed a "miracle" occurrence over the past few months. But it's good for people to exercise hope. People like the mother in this film aren't necessarily asking for a miracle; they're applying their faith and allowing themselves to be hopeful for positive news. Suggesting that a film like this is "dangerous to society" is giving oneself over to a "dangerous" misunderstanding as to what the majority of modern faithful are expecting from the connection with God they've sought for themselves. This is a perfectly fine film, because, in the worst of circumstances, prayer is often the only thing people can turn to for hope. This is about hope, and the mentally healthy action of putting our hope in something other than ourselves.

I think there is a difference in hope and prayer. And miracles don't happen "often", that's a crazy insinuation. Even if there were 1,000 "miracles" every month where someone didn't die, there are about 4.5 million other deaths in that month. Sure, go ahead and have hope, but have hope that the doctors can do something, or have hope that the human body is capable of something unexpected. But for every case where some "miracle" happens, there are millions of other non-miracles.

6 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

I think there is a difference in hope and prayer. And miracles don't happen "often", that's a crazy insinuation. Even if there were 1,000 "miracles" every month where someone didn't die, there are about 4.5 million other deaths in that month. Sure, go ahead and have hope, but have hope that the doctors can do something, or have hope that the human body is capable of something unexpected. But for every case where some "miracle" happens, there are millions of other non-miracles.

My sister was born dead, he elliptical chord wrapped around her neck and her body blue and cold. And yet today she is alive and well, with two children of her own, this is a fact. my dad did hear a voice he feels is God telling him to pray for her, he did and here she is. I know it might not seem like it, and maybe some are less obvious then others, but miracles do happen and they do happen often. of course imo, just being alive and breathing on this earth is kind of a miracle in itself. 

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/breakthrough_2019

68% RT score with 22 reviews. 4 out of seven of the top critic reviews are rotten, though it is much better to have a split 3 to 4 than a split like 0 to 7.

We'll see if this film can maintain a fresh rating (I think, based on film form and the cinematic language, that it will). This is a potential win for faith-based film as well as a potential win for female directors (Roxann Dawson).

I know this is an earlier convo but I definitely don't think a movie like this is any "danger" to society moreso than a movie like Miracles from Heaven is. This (at least from the trailers) is a very different movie than something like Unplanned, which seems to paint a picture of "anyone who does not agree with us is dangerous and evil blah blah" and when propaganda like that is being portrayed as entertainment, yea I would say that is bad.

This on the other hand simply looks like a movie about faith and sticking to one's beliefs through a hard situation (with an element of spiritual... magic? idk). I don't share the views of this movie, and I'll likely never see it, but I don't see any harm in this movie whatsoever. Was a movie like Hacksaw Ridge any danger to society because the protagonist was a Christian devout? Of course not. And while I do acknowledge that Breakthrough's message is probably going to much more heavy handed than Hacksaw Ridge, it seems to present a more harmless look at faith and believing rather than trying to paint those who disagree in a negative light.

So yea, I hope the people who are looking forward to this movie enjoy it. And I hope that the people who don't want to see this never are forced to. 

• Like 1

The West killed God so well, it got replaced by other beliefs just as delusional as the old ones.

Faith never dies, it is what makes us human.

The words to describe it change.

In the end, it means pretty much nothing since the laws of physics, biology and chemistry  control eveything and they absolutely don't give a crap about our belief systems.

There is more faith and naive beliefs in most of the movies critics and awards shows fap to than this.

Edited by The Futurist

It's doing good at Pulse at the moment with ca. 8 tickets/minute. In 2 hours it should enter the Top 5 (counted without Avengers: Endgame it will be #4 then behind Shazam!, Little and CM).
PS: Was #1 in Brazil on Monday.

Edited by el sid

On 3/28/2018 at 6:32 AM, Tele Dondarrion said:

Pretty cool -- I had no idea that Roxanne Dawson had switched from acting to directing, but she's been apparently working steadily as a director for various shows for awhile now. From VOYAGER to this, good for her!

Yeah, she's been directing TV episodes for years.    

It's great to see her get an opportunity with a film.