Eric S'ennui

Easter Weekend Thread: Official Weekend Actuals: RPO $41.8M ($53.7M 4-Day), Acrimony $17.2M, BP $11.5M, ICOI $10.4M, PRU $9.4M, IOD $2.9M, GND3 $2.7M

On 3/30/2018 at 4:34 PM, TwoMisfits said:

RPO projection (if I was projecting the weekend):

Previews/Thursday $12M

Friday $15M

Saturday $16M (+6.6%) (yes, I am predicting a family/dad increase...my locals are looking good for tomorrow's matinees, so I'm projecting a bigger family push than something like GI Joe 2 got - sue me, I'm gonna cheer for the premier concept:)

Sun $11.2M (-30%)

3 day weekend $42.2M / 4 day $54.2M (yes, I'm also going more optimistic than Deadline - it worked all weekend for ICOI, which also got that family component)...

Ends up at $41.764M and $53.710M...so I was less than $.5M away for the projection (and better than Deadline:) - I'll take it, even if I wanted more:)...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, svenson said:

So only RP1, Black Panther and Tomb Raider increased from their estimates ?

Nope! Wrinkle, Isle Of Dogs, Acrimony, Peter Rabbit, Game Night, Red Sparrow,  Showman and Jumanji were all up from their estimates!

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

Oh yeah right, I shouldn't have forgotten about The Shack, it's made an absurd 23.6M here in Brazil, that was crazy considering that its second biggest OS market didn't even make 3M.

Why was the shack so much popular in Brazil, where all the others failed. 

Great increase for RPO and good increase for Black Panther. ICOI's hold is absolutely mad, though it was Easter weekend, but still, holy crap this movie is doing well. It's overshadowing poor Love, Simon, but hey, from what I can tell, it's not even close to the insulting conservative bullshit of God's Not Dead 1, so good for it.

Is Tomb Raider gonna end up beating Pacific Rim w/a much smaller OW? I mean, they are 5M apart, but Pacific Rim's 67% drop was pretty abysmal. I'm not sure if Uprising will even make 2x OW.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tawasal said:

I have a guess. In the film, or at least the trailer, there is this very lush garden with bright colors; bright colors are also used as a frequent device once the father is found by the personifications of the trinity. I think of bright colors when I think of Brazil, and I'm sure that, with the styles commonly associated with the country, bright colorization is something Brazil fully embraces. So my guess is that when they were shown a film with a story about a man in a drab world finding a much brighter place, the audience resonated with the use of the colorization, perhaps subconsciously. This is a big shot in the dark, but I figured I might as well make the assertion.

Edited by slambros

22 minutes ago, tawasal said:

A Christian movie that doesn't speak only to the American Christian ways(which can be a bit odd to us) like most of the other low-budget ones do will always find a market in the second biggest Christian country in the world I suppose.

Plus the book is a big best seller here.

But don't worry, even as a Brazilian myself I was as surprised as you to hear about these numbers since I don't exactly have a circle of friends who go for these kind of things.

Edited by Arlborn

2 minutes ago, slambros said:

I have a guess. In the film, or at least the trailer, there is this very lush garden with bright colors. I think of bright colors when I think of Brazil, and I'm sure that, with the styles commonly associated with the country, bright colorization is something Brazil fully embraces. So my guess is that when they were shown a film with a story about a man in a drab world finding a muvh brighter place, the audience resonated with the use of the colorization, perhaps subconsciously. This is a big shot in the dark, but I figured I might as well male the assertion.

.......I'd figure it would be the popularity of the novel. :redcapes:

Tickets sold today at my theater (* denotes reduced showtimes):

I Can Only Imagine: 168

Ready Player One: 102 (23 2D/79 3D)

Acrimony: 73

Paul, Apostle of Christ: 49

God's Not Dead: 44

Pacific Rim: 41 (24 2D/17 3D)

Black Panther: 33 (12 2D/21 3D)

Tomb Raider: 32

A Wrinkle in Time: 23

Sherlock Gnomes: 22 (evening show was empty)

Peter Rabbit: 17*

Midnight Sun sold nothing

• Like 1

Some very good Easter Sunday holds this year. PRU and RPO going sub-30%, TR down only 24%! BP has always been extra strong on Sundays so not surprised it did well.

• Like 1