Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread | Estimates: AQP 50M, RP1 25M, CKBLK 21.4M, BP 8.4M,

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Did ICOI cost 94 Million?

You do realize that ICOI will make a lot more profit than Tomb Raider?

You do realize that ICOI will make more profit than most movies this year?

23 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I Can Only Imagine is having a very impressive run. Tomb Raider could only imagine such good domestic numbers.

What is it with people singling out Tomb Raider for no reason. :wintf:

TR will make almost x3 its budget, sorry Trashmerica didn't love it but it has a decent run.

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

You do realize that ICOI will make more profit than most movies this year?

What is it with people singling out Tomb Raider for no reason. :wintf:

TR will make almost x3 its budget, sorry Trashmerica didn't love it but it has a decent run.

But that's not entirely true.  It will not make three times its budget.  It will actually lose money if you go by domestic gross alone.  And that's how it's been discussed since the dawn of time.  If you want to use the WW gross, that's fine, but then you have to add the marketing budget and I'm pretty sure you can add another 100 million to the films budget.  So it's not going to be in the black from theatrical alone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

But that's not entirely true.  It will not make three times its budget.  It will actually lose money if you go by domestic gross alone.  And that's how it's been discussed since the dawn of time.  If you want to use the WW gross, that's fine, but then you have to add the marketing budget and I'm pretty sure you can add another 100 million to the films budget.  So it's not going to be in the black from theatrical alone.

Thats not true 2 weeks ago deadline said profit line is 270 million maybe even lower than that and that they are discussing making a sequel as well. 

1 minute ago, svenson said:

More lies. PR was a closed movie it changed cast and director. Also Many sequels are cheaper and gross more too. This one sets one up. People already campaign for another one because Vikander is fantastic as Lara. Find me a movie with 3x its budget that never got a sequel or started a franchise. 

Wedding Crashers, Bridesmaids, Cast Away, Signs, Django Unchained, The Revenant, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, Armageddon, Twister, Steven Spielberg’s War of the Worlds, ET, Forrest Gump and many more.

So many great examples of large grossers that weren’t franchise-starters.

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

What are you talking about? Where did I say that?

Since the dawn of time budgetx3 is a "decent run" even if DOM share is a bit too low.

8 minutes ago, svenson said:

Thats not true 2 weeks ago deadline said profit line is 270 million maybe even lower than that and that they are discussing making a sequel as well. 

270 is about where I put its profit line too. Not that it matters what I think. All that matters in the end is how much actual cash comes back to the producers. If it's enough, it doesn't matter where it came from.

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

What are you talking about? Where did I say that?

Since the dawn of time budgetx3 is a "decent run" even if DOM share is a bit too low.

Not sure what dawn you are talking about.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, svenson said:

So in other words, films get more money from theatrical than we have been lead to believe?  Or are they saying that they spent about 40 million on marketing the film world wide?  That seems awfully low for a film of this size.  Deadline doesn't know everything.

7 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Wedding Crashers, Bridesmaids, Cast Away, Signs, Django Unchained, The Revenant, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, Armageddon, Twister, Steven Spielberg’s War of the Worlds, ET, Forrest Gump and many more.

So many great examples of large grossers that weren’t franchise-starters.

What the hell?? none of these was meant to be franchises at all. I mean what the fuck Cast Away??? Jango ??? Armageddon ??? Day after Tommorrow??? 2012 ??? Twister ??? WotW ??? ET ???? Gump ??? are you freakin serious with these movies

TR sets one up its on 2.80x budget now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

So in other words, films get more money from theatrical than we have been lead to believe?  Or are they saying that they spent about 40 million on marketing the film world wide?  That seems awfully low for a film of this size.  Deadline doesn't know everything.

No, they're saying that ww $270m implies ancillaries will make it profitable. They're likely right.

3 hours ago, KJsooner said:

Your point exactly?? BP still obliterated Jumanji. Nice try though.

But he said 2017.  I don't understand your point.  

3 minutes ago, svenson said:

What the hell?? none of these was meant to be franchises at all. I mean what the fuck Cast Away??? Jango ??? Armageddon ??? Day after Tommorrow??? 2012 ??? Twister ??? WotW ??? ET ???? Gump ??? are you freakin serious with these movies

TR sets one up its on 2.80x budget now.

Dude, i can name those examples whenever i want. No need to get to desperately pissy about it. :gold:

I don’t care either way.