Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread: Rampage 34.5M, AQP 32.6M, ToD 19M, RPO 11.2M, Blockers 10.2M

WB is doing fine. Don't really get the doom and gloom some people always seem to have about them.

A related fun fact I just learned; if they can get over 1.5B (dom) this year they will have had ten consecutive years over that mark, which I believe is a first for any studio.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

WB is doing fine. Don't really get the doom and gloom some people always seem to have about them.

It wouldn't be BOT if there wasn't doom and gloom over a studio or a franchise at least once a day.

• Like 3

WB crashed and burned hard with their biggest event film in their current biggest franchise 6 months ago, taking an actual loss on the movie, and now they've just unleashed 3 consecutive big budget franchise starters that are failures to launch in a little over the span of a month. They are not "fine" right now. Don't think all of that is going to go ignored or without concern over at the studio. 

If the exact same thing had happened to Disney, everyone would practically be calling for the end of the world. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, aabattery said:

A related fun fact I just learned; if they can get over 1.5B (dom) this year they will have had ten consecutive years over that mark, which I believe is a first for any studio.

It seems doable to me:

RPO - 140

Rampage - 80(?)

Tomb Raider -  55

Ocean's 8 - 150

Aquaman - 250

The Meg - 80(?)

Fantastic Beasts - 250

Life of the Party - 80

Teen Titans Go! To The Movies - 80(?)

That's 1.265B 1.165B right there. Did I forget any movie already released?

Then there's Smallfoot, The Nun, Crazy Rich Asians, Tag, A Star is Born, Mowgli(is it making it?). It does seem perfectly doable.

EDIT: There was a typo with the numbers, fixed now. it's actually 1.165B so it's a bit less doable but still possible I guess, they'll need something a bit unexpected to break out.

Edited by Arlborn
typo on RPO's number

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

WB crashed and burned hard with their biggest event film in their current biggest franchise 6 months ago, taking an actual loss on the movie, and now they've just unleashed 3 consecutive big budget franchise starters that are failures to launch in a little over the span of a month. They are not "fine" right now. Don't think all of that is going to go ignored or without concern over at the studio. 

If the exact same thing had happened to Disney, everyone would practically be calling for the end of the world. 

You are amazingly biased.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

It seems doable to me:

RPO - 240

Rampage - 80(?)

Tomb Raider -  55

Ocean's 8 - 150

Aquaman - 250

The Meg - 80(?)

Fantastic Beasts - 250

Life of the Party - 80

That's 1.265B right there. Did I forget any movie already released?

Then there's Smallfoot, The Nun, Crazy Rich Asians, Tag, A Star is Born, Mowgli(is it making it?). It does seem perfectly doable.

How is RPO getting 240M?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It seems doable to me:

RPO - 240

Rampage - 80(?)

Tomb Raider -  55

Ocean's 8 - 150

Aquaman - 250

The Meg - 80(?)

Fantastic Beasts - 250

Life of the Party - 80

That's 1.265B right there. Did I forget any movie already released?

So they might make around $1.5b with 15 movies that likely cost in excess of $1.5b to make? Wow, clearly the stuff of studio envy...

The fact is, Ocean's 8, The Nun, and Fantastic Beasts are their only films this year that stand a good shot of turning a strong profit for them. That's not good when you have so many films and so few aren't high budget. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

So they might make around $1.5b with 15 movies that likely cost in excess of $1.5b to make? Wow, clearly the stuff of studio envy...

Man, A Wrinkle in Time flopping and Fifty Shades Freed crossing $100M really did a number on ya, huh?

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Man, A Wrinkle in Time flopping and Fifty Shades Freed crossing $100M really did a number on ya, huh?

Nope. I accurately predicted the two box office events of this year back in 2017, so when you ignite the key in the bandwagon before everyone jumps on, the little failures seem quite inconsequential. 

:sparta:

Edited by MovieMan89

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

RPO was never meant to necessarily be a franchise starter though. Chill. WB is doing fine. 

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

RPO was never meant to necessarily be a franchise starter though. Chill. WB is doing fine. 

I am starting to think some people will never rest until it all belongs to Disney.

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

I am starting to think some people will never rest until it all belongs to Disney.

Who are these people, just out of curiosity? The guy with the Disney castle in his avatar perhaps? I know you don't mean me of course, since I have expressed dissatisfaction with the Fox acquisition and Disney's recent treatment of Star Wars...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Which I think is wrong IMO. I'd much rather not the film industry be a single monopoly. I like competing studios being successful. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It seems doable to me:

RPO - 140

Rampage - 80(?)

Tomb Raider -  55

Ocean's 8 - 150

Aquaman - 250

The Meg - 80(?)

Fantastic Beasts - 250

Life of the Party - 80

EDIT: There was a typo with the numbers, fixed now. it's actually 1.165B so it's a bit less doable but still possible I guess, they'll need something a bit unexpected to break out.

WB is already at 350 mil for the year as of last Sunday. They'll probably be around 450mil by the end of the month maybe a little higher, Really I don't see them surpassing BP's gross until mid-June maybe even early July.

29 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It seems doable to me:

RPO - 140

Rampage - 80(?)

Tomb Raider -  55

Ocean's 8 - 150

Aquaman - 250

The Meg - 80(?)

Fantastic Beasts - 250

Life of the Party - 80

Add in Game Night, 12 Strong, Paddington 2 and 15:17 to Paris.

• Thanks 1

Where I think WB ends up this year (rounded):

Paddington: 40M

12 Strong: 45M

15:17 to Paris: 35M

Game Night: 70M

Tomb Raider: 55M

Ready Player One: 130M

Rampage: 55M

Life of the Party: 50M

Ocean's 8: 135M

Tag: 85M