baumer

Monday numbers Rampage 2.53M

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Deadline can make thinly backed assertions that families were showing up all they want, I'm telling you the actual age breakdown for the weekend proves it wasn't playing like any typical family film. That has nothing to do with kids not showing up at all. There are kids that show up to any PG-13 blockbuster. Tomb Raider's age breakdown on OW wasn't much different, are you going to argue with me that played like a "family film?" 

I already stated it played like a family film.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I already stated it played like a family film.  

Then your idea of a family film is pretty different from what analysts and studios think of as a family film at the box office. Basically it sounds like you consider all PG-13 big budget popcorn films as family films. I can tell you that the studios are positioning most of those as 4 quad films, not family ones. And yes, the way 4 quad and family films play is much different. Hence why a 3x multi is great for the former, while the latter can pull 4x or even higher if they're well liked. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

You are splitting hairs.... seriously. Its not a pure family film but Im sorry the tripe about F13th being the reason for the good Saturday is just ludicrous. Explain the good Sunday then, which most films bit eapecially the family friendly options enjoyed? 4quad can encompass many types of films without creating a box. And no tomb raider did not play like a FF film at all.... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

You are splitting hairs.... seriously. Its not a pure family film but Im sorry the tripe about F13th being the reason for the good Saturday is just ludicrous. Explain the good Sunday then, which most films bit eapecially the family friendly options enjoyed? 4quad can encompass many types of films without creating a box. And no tomb raider did not play like a FF film at all.... 

It's not splitting hairs. All PG-13 blockbusers have a certain kid audience, studios aim to appeal to as many people as possible with those films. That doesn't make them play like a "family film." We have never thrown that term around here to describe most PG-13 tentpole runs. And when Rampage fails to hit a 3x multi, are you still going to be telling me it played like a family film? 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

plus parents and kids are giving the pic respectively a 90% and 86% score.

Twelve-to 16-year olds are the film’s biggest and most urgent read on tracking. Previews began at 7PM.

Thanks that answer it, 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If anyone needs further proof the audience was 2/3 over 25 on OW. That's not even close to a typical family film split. 

63% above 25 for the weekend is almost the same has Wrinkle in time:

http://deadline.com/2018/03/a-wrinkle-in-time-black-panther-weekend-box-office-1202324260/

adults over 25 who turned up at 61% and graded the pic a B-.

Tomorrowland was also 61%

Family are getting small, you will often have 1 or 2 kids for 2 parents, 

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Of course 12-16 year olds are a big audience for Rampage! Why wouldn't it be targeting teens, that's Hollywood's bread and butter for blockbusters? The teen audience is about as far removed from playing like a "family film" as it gets. 

That was for a while, now teens tend to cost a fortune to bring (well that what rampage did spend a fortune) and is a smaller and smaller portion of the ticket buyers.

18-24 are even bigger by capita than the 12-17 now:

In 2016, the 18–24 age group was the most overrepresented age group in terms of tickets sold, accounting for 10% of the population and 16% of tickets sold. The 12–17 and 25–39 age groups are also overrepresented for tickets sold (13% and 24%) relative to their share of the population (8% and 21%).

In the past teens (12-17) were like 30% of the ticket buyer instead of just 13%, population got older and teens did stop to have jobs/go out a little bit:

12-24 ticket sales

1985: over 50%

1999: 41%

2016: 29%

I imagine that could be why movie targeting teens getting out by themselves are often low budget horrors and nothing much ambitious money wise in recent year's.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's not splitting hairs. All PG-13 blockbusers have a certain kid audience, studios aim to appeal to as many people as possible with those films. That doesn't make them play like a "family film." We have never thrown that term around here to describe most PG-13 tentpole runs. And when Rampage fails to hit a 3x multi, are you still going to be telling me it played like a family film? 

I take saying play like a family film is a quick way to say good weekend/Thursday night preview ratio and weekend heavy vs weeks days ?

You are right about implying a good dbo total / OW legs ratio that should not happen with a monster movie that tend to be top heavy vs family movie, it is more a family disaster movie then.