Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

17 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Speak for yourself buddy! This looks like an absolutely amazing comic book movie. In fact I'm going to make a very plausible prediction and say 90%+ on RT and 1B WW

You're being sarcastic, right?

Cause if you're not being, you do know that 1) no Spider-Man movie has ever done 1B WW, so there's zero chance Venom makes it, and 2) this is an R-rated movie and Deadpool is currently the ceiling for R-rated films WW.... and Deadpool topped out at under 800 million w/rave reviews and a stellar marketing campaign?

Just now, That One Guy said:

@Telehilation considering how much you love Tom Hardy and how much you hate funny book films, I need your take on the trailer for this

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It neither delighted or appalled me. tbh if it wasn't for Hardy, I'd have little to no interest. So I guess I didn't find it very effective as marketing, but I also think it probably says very little about what the movie will (or won't) be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

You're being sarcastic, right?

Cause if you're not being, you do know that 1) no Spider-Man movie has ever done 1B WW, so there's zero chance Venom makes it, and 2) this is an R-rated movie and Deadpool is currently the ceiling for R-rated films WW.... and Deadpool topped out at under 800 million w/rave reviews and a stellar marketing campaign?

You do know there are plenty box office anomalies in the comic book movie world don't you? Like a Deadpool movie being the highest grossing origin comic book movie at the time it was released, BvS doing less than DP, and alot of other comic book movies doing much better than a JL movie a movie with the most well known comic book characters in pop culture history. I am feeling an anomaly with this one, venom has always been a fan favorite villain not just for spiderman but villain on the whole and would've probably been bigger than the joker if the character had as much live action exposure that the Joker had. All those reasons you mentioned above are irrelevant to a comic book movie that can be an anomaly at the box office. 

• Like 2

one should think twice before criticizing sony after

a8yxe46_700b.jpg

Seriously, SMH also had quiet a few trailer (not enough focus on Vulture, not enough spectacle, is it IM4) and poster (ahem) criticisms but Sony delivered in the end with a big opening (and then MCU quality took it far). Wouldn't hold a teaser to much scrutiny.

Edited by a2knet
  • ...wtf 2

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hardy hasn’t taken many roles in crappy films.

Except if they are coming with giant paycheck...., was Venom script that advanced when he got on board ? They were still news of new writer getting on board in October 2017, he was signed in may 2017.

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

a8yxe46_700b.jpg

Seriously, SMH also had quiet a few trailer (not enough focus on Vulture, not enough spectacle, is it IM4) and poster (ahem) criticisms but Sony delivered in the end. Wouldn't hold a teaser to much scrutiny.

That was still a Marvel Studios film (unlike Venom). So I'm not up for giving Sony much credit for it.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

22 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

30 minutes or less is actually a fun movie. Maybe not a good sophomore effort, but it wasn't the disaster it is made out to be. Gangster Squad is garbage because of thousand reasons. 

I think guy deserves a shot.

He does, Zombieland is one of the big success story of Sony (200m in revenues, 76m in net profits for a 25m budget movie), but I doubt if it was not a superheroe movie that people would be talking about the next Fleisher movie has very likely to be good....

1 minute ago, RandomYojimbo said:

That was still a Marvel Studios film (unlike Venom). So I'm not up for giving Sony much credit for it.

yeah though am not talking about a mega-ow. just that sony's marketing aided the opening well for smh and an intense teaser critique (good or bad) is a bit futile.

11 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

You do know there are plenty box office anomalies in the comic book movie world don't you? Like a Deadpool movie being the highest grossing origin comic book movie at the time it was released, BvS doing less than DP, and alot of other comic book movies doing much better than a JL movie a movie with the most well known comic book characters in pop culture history. I am feeling an anomaly with this one, venom has always been a fan favorite villain not just for spiderman but villain on the whole and would've probably been bigger than the joker if the character had as much live action exposure that the Joker had. All those reasons you mentioned above are irrelevant to a comic book movie that can be an anomaly at the box office. 

Oh, it's irrelevant that Venom's ceiling is more than likely smaller than Spider-Man's and that it won't do Deadpool numbers unless its marketing campaign is on par w/Deadpool's, and its marketing sure didn't start on that note (cause your opinion of it being "amazing" is, in case you haven't noticed, kinda in the minority)? Fine, then. Here's another one for ya: the highest grossing R-rated horror movie ever WW is It. And It performed like a comic book movie, for all intents and purposes. That movie had a stellar campaign from the beggining, and it just cracked 700M WW. Granted, without China, but what makes you think Venom would add 300M in China alone IF it could match It's China-less performance?

You're saying "Venom is gonna make 1B WW". That's a little more than an anomaly - movies like Wonder Woman, GOTG V2 and Thor: Ragnarok couldn't do that number, despite strong wom and much bigger mainstream appeal than Venom. Sony would be delirious if Venom touched 600-650M WW.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, a2knet said:

a8yxe46_700b.jpg

Seriously, SMH also had quiet a few trailer (not enough focus on Vulture, not enough spectacle, is it IM4) and poster (ahem) criticisms but Sony delivered in the end with a big opening (and then MCU quality took it far). Wouldn't hold a teaser to much scrutiny.

Lol that is an awful poster. And I think it’s more like Spider-Man’s appearance in Civil War, Iron Man prominently in the marketing and the MCU connection that made up for the poor posters and trailers. Unfortunately, Venom doesn’t have those points going for it, but the stellar cast helps. 

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We all know that, barring a Fantastic Four '15 level critical disaster, the usual comic book audience will show up on opening weekend to give this a $45M opening.

after Suicide Squad opening I imagine a SH movie could open over 100m with a 0% RT score, embargo could be the sunday..... the marketing need to be good much more than critics or the movie.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1