sfran43

Tuesday's Numbers (IW 23.5) page 2

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

When will IW drop below BP in the dailies?

Will it ever happen?

after deadpool is released

Edited by IronJimbo

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

looks to be $23.5 which is a 5% drop.

Tell me if I'm wrong but shouldn't we expect a slightly better hold for IW than Avengers due to Ticket discount tuesdays?

That seems to stop working once the weekdays got to big (TFA dropped as did JW and the Avengers and TLJ) and the hold is slightly better :lol: Avengers dropped 6.5%.

But I also think Monday might have profited from some Spillover business.

• Like 3

This weekend, analysts expect Infinity War to clear between $100M-$125M. On the high-end that’s a -51% dip. 2012’s Avengers eased 50% in its second May weekend with $103M, while Age of Ultron declined 59% in its second weekend for $77.7M.

• Like 9

Looking at the other mega-openers (TFA, TLJ, JW, TA) it looks like a slight Tuesday drop is to be expected. Is it the case that discount Tuesday doesn't really help movies that are already operating at near capacity?

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

looks to be $23.5 which is a 5% drop.

Tell me if I'm wrong but shouldn't we expect a slightly better hold for IW than Avengers due to Ticket discount tuesdays?

See, this happened with TFA and here's my theory:

When you have a film that has such demand like IW does, you basically have a huge amount of people seeing it on Monday.  They don't care about the price.  So when Tuesday comes around and the price is cheaper, you actually lose a bit of money because almost the same amount of people are seeing on Tuesday as Monday but they are paying less, so the gross goes down.  

Look at the Tuesday numbers for December for TFA:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=starwars7.htm

• Like 25

3 hours ago, bladels said:

All $200M+ openers drop on Tue. I don't know why some of you guys expect $27-30M

Thanks for mentioning this after the Tuesday number comes in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

When you have a film that has such demand like IW does, you basically have a huge amount of people seeing it on Monday.  They don't care about the price.  So when Tuesday comes around and the price is cheaper, you actually lose a bit of money because almost the same amount of people are seeing on Tuesday as Monday but they are paying less, so the gross goes down.  

Exactly, the people who rush to see a film in its first days of release are intensely interested in actually seeing the movie and do not really care about saving a small amount of money. As the days go on, and the demand from the core audience has been largely satiated, then the stingy crowd comes into play and Thuesdays get their big jumps. 

Edited by PPZVGOS
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, #ED said:

I said yesterday that IT COULD DECREASE...

And if we went by history, we would have known that it would, but people wanted to believe that this would defy the box office trend.  Myself included.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bladels said:

No, I said it multiple times in Mon thread. I even quoted you.

Sorry, I missed that.  My apologies.

1 minute ago, PPZVGOS said:

Exactly, the people who rush to see a film in its first days of release are intensely interested in actually seeing the movie and do not really care about saving a small amount of money. As the days go on, and the demand from the core audience has been largely satiated, then the stingy crowd comes into play and Thuesdays get their big jumps. 

people have also been talking about spillover, possible the weekend spillover was reduced on tuesday

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yeah, this is probably the truth and considering the fact that in the US there isn't any holiday on Tuesday (and close no non School and colleges are out) that means that 25M might be close to maximum.

But to be honest as I posted, I thought IW might be able to stay flat (mainly because who thought IW would have a 82M Saturday or a 69M Sunday (as big as the previous record Saturday)

3 minutes ago, The Mad Titan said:

$23.5 million Tuesday is a very good drop given the comps. 

I’m going with $17 million today. 

I really want to see the OS Tues numbers, this is still incredibly impressive.