CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

Just now, Nova said:

I don't know. I obviously haven't followed the box office as long as you have but I'm not seeing good legs for this. Not because it's bad but because if it was going to have good legs, that OD would be better. 

That makes zero sense.  None. 

• Haha 4

Preview:OD ratio is hardly the end all be all for legs. Let’s at least wait to see exactly how the IM shakes out, some weekdays, 2nd weekend drop, etc.       

I’d be quite surprised if it missed 300, but 290 wouldn’t be th end of the world.

Edited by Thanos Legion

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

You need to pop a xanax, the film is going to be fine.  Relax.  

I'm just asking you an honest question because you are the box office expert but if you were to see a film have 38% of its OD be from previews, would you think it was going to have good legs in the future? Again I don't follow box office like you (you get paid for this lol) but from my little experience of following films like DP2 aka the CBM genre, I just don't see where the legs would be coming from. 

Edited by Nova

@Nova I agree with @EmpireCity, you are reading way too much into it.  A 52 million dollar opening day is fantastic and the word is spreading already and people are enjoying it.  I see no reason for it to have a Civil War type multiplier.  

• Like 1

It's definitely somewhat surprising the OD ended up being more so much more frontloaded to previews than Guardians 2 was, though I'm still thinking it'll have a strong Sat number to put it in the $125M range.

Certainly still boffo box office, but the strong late marketing push and positive reviews inflated expectations in the last week or so, and I think Fox did make a bit of a miscalculation by not going for the August release date.

Just now, John Marston said:

That benefitted from a barren summer 

I don't know if I would call it barren exactly. Apes 3 opened the week after and Dunkirk the week after that. July was pretty packed and Wonder Woman was still running in the background. DP2 obviously has more on its plate but after Solo there's basically nothing for three weeks. 

Just now, baumer said:

@Nova I agree with @EmpireCity, you are reading way too much into it.  A 52 million dollar opening day is fantastic and the word is spreading already and people are enjoying it.  I see no reason for it to have a Civil War type multiplier.  

I guess we shall see how it plays out in the coming weeks. 

I'd love for it to have a leggy run of course. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Could miss 300m with this opening. Still this drop isn’t too shocking honestly 

1 minute ago, Curtis1986 said:

Wow. Expected more. I can see this missing 300 for sure. Even with good WOM

Set's opening day record for an R rated movie and you guys think it should have done better.  

• Thanks 2

And that's my cue to go to bed.  This is the stuff I find unbearable here at times.  A movie sets a record but that record isn't good enough.  People say it's a disappointment and now the film will miss 300.

Good night.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Set's opening day record for an R rated movie and you guys think it should have done better.  

I don't think any of us are saying it could have done better. What we are saying is that the preview to OD ratio is simply not good and doesn't paint a pretty picture for how the rest of the weekend will play out. Pretty much off of its preview number, we expected it to do better than it did. Not that a $52M OD for an R-rated flick is bad. 

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Could a lot of casuals had thier superhero fill with with IW alreadythis month and likely BP as well.

If they did then why is Deadpool 2 opening with a huge 120-130mil weekend?

Just now, Nova said:

I don't think any of us are saying it could have done better. What we are saying is that the preview to OD ratio is simply not good and doesn't paint a pretty picture for how the rest of the weekend will play out. Pretty much off of its preview number, we expected it to do better than it did. Not that a $52M OD for an R-rated flick is bad. 

That wasn't directed at you.  :)