baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I'm shocked that Solo's budget and The Last Jedi are being talked about when a Star Wars movie is in theaters and currently making shitting horrible numbers. I am shocked I tell you

I understand why people are talking about it, but it doesn’t make it any less fucking exhausting.

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Star Wars is in a much better position than WB's comic book movie universe I don't deny that but The Last Jedi's good reviews doesn't change the fact that it had mixed word of mouth and not just from the obnoxious nerds. If one doesn't think that Episode 9 has a chance of going below a billion one hasn't been paying attention.

WB has a million good options to course correct with DCEU and unite fans and the GA. They can essentially just reboot and start over at this point without people caring. LF is stuck trying to remedy the most polarizing blockbuster I've ever witnessed in all the years I've followed movies into a satisfying trilogy capper. There's a million options to go in, and all of them could still end up failing. SW is in a much harder spot than DCEU because they can't just breathe and reset. They have to work with the 40 year saga, for better or for worse. 

Just now, That One Guy said:

I understand why people are talking about it, but it doesn’t make it any less fucking exhausting.

it's more fun than ranking the same fucking movies over and over again or talking about Pokemon or some shit like that. At least it has to do with box office and business, which is what this site is supposed to be about

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Justice League will make more money internationally than Solo will make worldwide. It's actually too kind to compare it to JL anymore 

even minus china, jl os was 323 vs solo's sub-190/sub-180 os-china. on a similar budget they are in a different flop league (no pun intended) all together. merchandising and disney's non-theatrical machine may bring them closer who knows but failures nevertheless.

though disney's sw franchise is far far more successful than dceu and that's not a fair comparison either.

Edited by A2k Rex

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

None of what you're going on about has to do with monetary facts,

TFA + RO + TLJ - SOLO >>>>>>>> BvS + SS + WW - JL

These franchises are not monetarily equatable.

And literally NO ONE is comparing TFA+RO+TLJ to BVS+SS+WW in terms of profitability. And yes you're right, Solo should not be compared to JL either at this point. It's in far worse of a position. 

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

it's more fun than ranking the same fucking movies over and over again or talking about Pokemon or some shit like that. At least it has to do with box office and business, which is what this site is supposed to be about

no I actually think what you’re referring to sounds more fun to discuss than “hey did you guys know Solo might’ve had a 400M budget???” “actually no it didn’t and you’re wrong” “actually it did” for 5 pages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Your denial knows no bounds if you really believe Solo isn't an extremely similar situation as JL. JL is too flattering of a comparison to Solo's performance at this point. You're also sadly mistaken if you think the future of SW can be corrected anywhere near as easily as DCEU can be. Basically at this point you're covering your ears and screaming "I don't want to hear it" if you can't see how widespread the disenchantment with the franchise is. Accept you were wrong to generalize your opinion about TLJ onto the GA and move on. 

This will sound nuts considering my rep regarding the DCEU, but.....at least the DCEU, their primary problem was easy to target: most of their movies sucked. SW might be in a tougher position. 

With SW, as Empire City pointed out, TLJ had really good reviews. Even SOLO aka "the movie nobody asked for" still garnered OK reviews? Certainly not a critical disaster. Yet there is a problem in Star Wars land, but what exactly *are* the problems? It's easier to tackle problems or try to anyway if you have an idea of what went wrong. 

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Your denial knows no bounds if you really believe Solo isn't an extremely similar situation as JL. JL is too flattering of a comparison to Solo's performance at this point. You're also sadly mistaken if you think the future of SW can be corrected anywhere near as easily as DCEU can be. Basically at this point you're covering your ears and screaming "I don't want to hear it" if you can't see how widespread the disenchantment with the franchise is. Accept you were wrong to generalize your opinion about TLJ onto the GA and move on. 

Your reading comprehension is complete dogshit.  

Go back and read what I wrote again and see where you went wrong.  

4 minutes ago, RRA said:

This will sound nuts considering my rep regarding the DCEU, but.....at least the DCEU, their primary problem was easy to target: most of their movies sucked. SW might be in a tougher position. 

With SW, as Empire City pointed out, TLJ had really good reviews. Even SOLO aka "the movie nobody asked for" still garnered OK reviews? Certainly not a critical disaster. Yet there is a problem in Star Wars land, but what exactly *are* the problems? It's easier to tackle problems or try to anyway if you have an idea of what went wrong. 

those reviews really helped Solo not be a bomb did they>?

the main problem is TLJ had a deeply polarizing reception and really hurt the brand. 

Solo definitely will have an effect on the SW series, Many of the spin offs and some of those numerous trilogies they have planned will no longer be happening 

how to fix the problem? Send Rian Johnson packing is the first thing. Then also write Kathleen Kennedy up for her bad decisions with Solo

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Your reading comprehension is complete dogshit.  

Go back and read what I wrote again and see where you went wrong.  

Until you can learn to respond to me with coherent arguments instead of the same childish insults, then just don't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Until you can learn to respond to me with coherent arguments instead of the same childish insults, then just don't.

You fucking moron.  Go back and read what I responded to and then what I wrote and then what you responded.  

I was coherent in my response to the post I was responding to.  You were incoherent and put words in my mouth and started making comparisons to shit I never fucking said.  

You do this all the time though, mainly because you are young and stupid.  Be better.  

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

Reminds me of in a recent weekend thread when people wanted me to admit the DCEU movies pre-JL were hits, which I found silly. They were on paper.

Yes that is how you know whether a movie is a hit or a flop: numbers. Not fanboy rants.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

It is not clear cut, but yes there is a sense that at least DCEU is in what feel like a growing genre worldwide, I am not sure which one will make the most profit in the next 50 year's (i.e. which would one is worth the most). Easier to imagine what DC will or could do.

• Like 1

We all have opinions on here.  Sometimes they are wrong.  That is understandable.  It happens.  

I can't understand however the complete stupidity and making up shit and making arguments about stuff that wasn't said, or using it for half truth because your brain is locked in one direction.  

Slow down, read posts completely, think about them and then post a reply.  It isn't a race.  Better to get it correct than spew bullshit.  

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

We all have opinions on here.  Sometimes they are wrong.  That is understandable.  It happens.  

I can't understand however the complete stupidity and making up shit and making arguments about stuff that wasn't said, or using it for half truth because your brain is locked in one direction.  

Slow down, read posts completely, think about them and then post a reply.  It isn't a race.  Better to get it correct than spew bullshit.  

I do remember you saying TLJ was going to be so loved that everyone would be wishing Rian Johnson would be coming back. And that there is no way Solo cost 250m and it is not going to bomb. I mean it's ok though. Sometimes we bet on the wrong horse

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RRA said:

Yeah SW now has the problem of not knowing who to cater to cause it seems no one can agree on what’s wrong. DCEU was getting trashed by critics and underperforming at the box office compared to Marvel so obviously a complete overhaul was needed.

Not to mention SW has a big OS problem.. OS audiences have no attachment to the OT so would probably respond better to something different but domestic audiences need the OT to be worshipped or else they riot... not sure how they can please both  

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

So what are the chances that Ashes gets nominated for a best original song at the Oscars? I really wanna see Celine Dion perform with Deadpool in the background :rofl:

Maybe if the Fox/Disney deal goes through they can do a crossover lol 

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

It is not clear cut, but yes there is a sense that at least DCEU is in what feel like a growing genre worldwide, I am not sure which one will make the most profit in the next 50 year's (i.e. which would one is worth the most). Easier to imagine what DC will or could do.

Certainly folks from emerging foreign territories have regaled us with anecdotes about how SW doesn't make jack crap in those markets. No history with that brand, and what they've seen since 2015 hasn't exactly made them want to sign up. Contrast that with Fast & Furious and spandex movies, etc. 

That's the biggest question about this era of SW movies. Are they making new fans or just servicing (or at this point annoying) the old ones? Because then this is a problem brewing before TLJ (the scapegoat for many folks) and....I don't know how you would fix that unless you put out new (like actually NEW) SW properties that does connect with those folks not into SW before or something.