sfran43

Tuesday's Numbers: Ocean 8 - $6.22M

18 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Great for O8. Good for IW. OK for everything else.

This is a curious assessment. Several films had a larger percentage increase than IW did and a mostly different set of films had a larger dollar increase than IW. Were you commenting on the film’s steady legs perhaps? Its performance yesterday was pretty middle of the road when compared to everything else, certainly closer to OK than good.

8 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

This is a curious assessment. Several films had a larger percentage increase than IW did and a mostly different set of films had a larger dollar increase than IW. Were you commenting on the film’s steady legs perhaps? Its performance yesterday was pretty middle of the road when compared to everything else, certainly closer to OK than good.

week to week drops

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

IW looks like it might actually land at #31 on this chart by its brethren

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

It depends on how much box office steam left it has. It’ll beat Titanic DOM-wise, this weekend....but how much more after that is a big if-question mark.

Films like Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Dark Knight & Thunderball are standing in its way currently.

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

It depends on how much box office steam left it has. It’ll beat Titanic DOM-wise, this weekend....but how much more after that is a big if-question mark.

Films like Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Dark Knight & Thunderball are standing in its way currently.

We'll see what happens this weekend. If it's at 665 after this weekend, it can hit 685. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

It will pass Titanic on Friday and should be close to or past Sleeping Beauty by Sunday.  I don't see it missing $680m and $685m+ is looking more likely than not.

3 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Still weird to me that BP will finish above AIW. When AIW was the mega 10 year buildup movie, and BP was just another solo MCU film.

Lol.

If you truly believe that, I have no idea what to tell you :bourne:

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Still weird to me that BP will finish above AIW. When AIW was the mega 10 year buildup movie, and BP was just another solo MCU film.

No, both are event movies.  They're just events in different ways, different metrics.  I wouldn't call BP "just another solo MCU film".  It's significant in several ways.

Obviously Marvel did something really unusual though.  Having 2 event films in the same year, back to back is basically never done.  That would have generally been very unexpected before the numbers came in, and yet here we are.  I told people ahead of time that IW was going to be an event film, they didn't believe me.  And I was hopeful for BP, that all the factors and marketing would push it there provided the movie could also hit the necessary quality marks.  It all came together for Marvel in just a few short months.  It's still pretty incredible no matter how you cut it.

Edited by REC
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, REC said:

No, both are event movies.  They're just events in different ways, different metrics.  I wouldn't call BP "just another solo MCU film".  It's significant in several ways.

Its still a solo MCU film.

31 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Lol.

If you truly believe that, I have no idea what to tell you :bourne:

Fycking Semantics. You know what I meant. AIW still should’ve beaten BP imo considering the hype and 10 year buildup of this ‘event’ film. Even if it was a small margin. AIW should’ve outgrossed BP domestically. 

Obviously, DP2 contributed to it not passing BP. 

Black Panther become a zeitgeist movie, especially for the black community.

I think I read a stat that something like 30-50% of Black people in the States watched Black Panther in theatres.

When do you ever get such a massive turnout in any demographic for a film? 

• Like 1