A Marvel Fanboy

Tron: Ares | October 10, 2025 | Jared Leto to star, Joachim Ronning to direct

Any news that another Tron is gaining momentum is good news to me. I caught Legacy 7 times at theatres in 3D and then spent over $100 on a special edition boxset with both films and the soundtrack. Then another $30 on a 3D copy on release date. I may have spent a bit too much back then.

I doubt it will get made. Since Disney just make numerous Star Wars or Marvel movies I don't see any reason for them to return to this franchise.

I'm not sure there's a good legacy (heh) to build off either. bridges ain't exactly box office gold, and Garret Hedlund isn't exactly amazing lead material. Side story...my friend used to sell him weed.It's just not obvious a sequel would perform to where it would need to, which is more than the last movie made. Reason I'm not holding my breath. But...you never know...but I'd say a sequel to Tron is about as likely as a sequel to Oz.
  • Like 1

I'm not sure there's a good legacy (heh) to build off either. bridges ain't exactly box office gold, and Garret Hedlund isn't exactly amazing lead material. Side story...my friend used to sell him weed.It's just not obvious a sequel would perform to where it would need to, which is more than the last movie made. Reason I'm not holding my breath. But...you never know...but I'd say a sequel to Tron is about as likely as a sequel to Oz.

I think OZ has a much better chance of getting a sequel. It did make over 200 million domestically after all.

It made back more than twice it’s budget worldwide, and sold well on DVD and Blu-Ray. Neither Tron nor Oz lost very much money (if any).

They did...the thing about the budgets you read...they're always leave out lots of costs nobody thinks about...never mind budgets are always understated. Honestly when it comes to costs on any movie...take the budget, add the P&A...then add another 10 or 15% on top cause...that's them costs you guys are never hearing about. Overhead is a very real thing.

Is Disney really this despite for an in-house franchise?  What is the point this is not going to break out and the budget needed to sell this movie at all means its never going to give worthwhile returns.  Oz is a better bet if you want to throw money at a break even franchise at least there is merchandise to sell and the next one could possibly break out if with the right budget. 

Or they could do the smart thing get the Step Up series back and get Tatum back for the 4th to start up your own Fast franchise. 

Is Disney really this despite for an in-house franchise?  What is the point this is not going to break out and the budget needed to sell this movie at all means its never going to give worthwhile returns.  Oz is a better bet if you want to throw money at a break even franchise at least there is merchandise to sell and the next one could possibly break out if with the right budget. 

You might be right on a potential sequel but...lemme tell ya, merchandise on Oz was worthless. Tron at least had soundtrack money.