baumer

Wednesday approx #s from God 12.3 JW...10 Incred2

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

If FK reaches 1.2B, is that going to be better/worse/same drop as TLJ?

Way better.

That'll be a 25% drop.

TLJ -35%

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Book Club is a beast and should encourage Hollywood to make more movies for underserved audience. It's a win-win. Cheap to make, good opening, loong legs. 

This is the kind of film that is basically extinct now.  It's an adult film, made for adults, that has ageing female stars and is dependent on legs, not opening weekend.  It's a risky movie for sure, but one that will show profit, just not a ton of it.  But it's one of my favourite films of the year and I have recommended it to everyone.  Most people I know have enjoyed it.  It's also funny, timely and it speaks to a generation that doesn't have strong numbers at this site.  It's no wonder most here thought it would go quietly into the night.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

This is the kind of film that is basically extinct now.  It's an adult film, made for adults, that has ageing female stars and is dependent on legs, not opening weekend.  It's a risky movie for sure, but one that will show profit, just not a ton of it.  But it's one of my favourite films of the year and I have recommended it to everyone.  Most people I know have enjoyed it.  It's also funny, timely and it speaks to a generation that doesn't have strong numbers at this site.  It's no wonder most here thought it would go quietly into the night.  

Speaking of extinct movies, Titanic was just an amazing gamble. That genre was literally dead and Titanic didn't revive it but became a one-off sensation. I guess studios were scared of the risk still. 

Ditto Great Gatsby. It did amazing but didn't set the trend of lavishly-produced counter-programming to summer blockbusters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Speaking of extinct movies, Titanic was just an amazing gamble. That genre was literally dead and Titanic didn't revive it but became a one-off sensation. I guess studios were scared of the risk still. 

Ditto Great Gatsby. It did amazing but didn't set the trend of lavishly-produced counter-programming to summer blockbusters.

It's awesome when studios take risks and they pay off.