WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

All these people expecting Ant-Man and The Wasp to have a killer multiplier kept yelling about how it would have a killer Saturday. I don't know what the film's multi will be but I'm tired of people making wishes instead of predictions. Personally, I'm not predicting a multi yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Tele actually said he thought Ant Man looked like a lot of fun and has (had?) Black Panther, Solo and Deadpool 2 in his top 5 of the year :thinking:

Wait what?! 

How do you know that?! Deadpool 2 getting the praise and love that it deserves. #Bless 

Clearly, Saturday is muted all across the board, it seems. I take it that people took the weekend off after 4th of July, and Friday basically acted like a Saturday. Coupled with MCU fan rush on Thursday, that probably explains the frontloadedness. Maybe the muted Saturday is a sign that people who missed it will come back? Maybe not. We'll see the legs from here on out, but I have a suspiction that it might drop close to 60% next weekend and then pull a Homecoming from that point on. But I might be wrong again, I dunno. Who knows. Me thinks that Marvel should've gone crazy and went for a 6-day opening for this (opening on cheap Tuesday + 4th of July Wednesday). Could've bumped it up to a close to or over 100M total, which would've been a good little headline to have.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

JWFK should cruise to $425M+ DOM total with relative ease as well.

That'd require over 4x from this weekend, I don't see it. I see it crawling juuust over 400 a la Revenge of the Fallen. 

Just now, That One Guy said:

My mistake, Deadpool 2 wasn't in his top 5.

He still really enjoyed it though.

He said it looked like a Netflix film from the trailers so progress has been made :ph34r:

• Haha 1

This will get a multi like SMH did. So anywhere from 2.86x and up. 

Its the summer and while MCU fans may have rushed to see it on Thursday night, it’s clear the average movie goer was in no rush to see it. Probably had a lot to do with again summer being around and well the trailers not selling it as a must see immediately. Just means people will catch it on one of the many summer days that are still available and thus the film will get a better multiplier off of it. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

All these people expecting Ant-Man and The Wasp to have a killer multiplier kept yelling about how it would have a killer Saturday. I don't know what the film's multi will be but I'm tired of people making wishes instead of predictions. Personally, I'm not predicting a multi yet.

Personally, once the true Friday came in pretty soft, I expected something just over/under $80M DOW OW. Saturday seems a bit muted across the board. In addition to the summer day being inflated to begin with, appears a fair number of folks took the Thursday and Friday after the 4th off.

Couldn't agree more with those that believe a Tuesday opening - a la Amazing Spidey - was easily the best play. You don't get the crazy OW headlines but you completely capitalize on Tuesday through Friday essentially being holidays/summer days. Not to mention, from what would've instead been the Monday previews/Tuesday crowds that did see, you get WOM spread on the 4th when everyone's cooking out, etc. At very minimum, I'd have had previews start at 6PM on Tuesday evening leading into the 4th of July Wednesday.

• Like 1

Nobody is debating whether it will have legs or not. I'm sure the legs will be fine, for a sequel. I'm not ready to predict a sequel to a film that got barely over a 3.0multi to get another 3.0 multi. I'm not saying that's impossible but it's rare. It's especially rare for such a frontloaded genre. 

• Like 1

Sorry to Bother You put up a great number. Even more promising is the polling, especially the percentage of female moviegoers and how young the audience is:

Sorry to Bother You will expand 600-800 runs this coming weekend, with a further expansion on July 20. This wild ride of a movie scored 84% overall positive in the top two boxes with an awesome 72% definite recommend. Overall audience is skewing 54% female to 46% male. Caucasian/non-Caucasian split was 51%/49%. Under 35 crowd turned out at 56% while the largest quad was 25-34 with 42%.

If I recall pretty correctly, those are pretty similar polling numbers to Get Out's polling numbers, which obviously is great for Sorry to Bother You. 

• Like 1

Just now, PenguinHyphy said:

Sorry to Bother You put up a great number. Even more promising is the polling, especially the percentage of female moviegoers and how young the audience is:

If I recall pretty correctly, those are pretty similar polling numbers to Get Out's polling numbers, which obviously is great for Sorry to Bother You. 

600-800 theaters next weekend sounds about right for this. Fingers crossed it maintains a solid PTA.

Also looks like Blindspotting will be taking a similar approach. I saw an ad the other day that said "NY/LA July 20, Everywhere July 27."

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Tele actually said he thought Ant Man looked like a lot of fun and has (had?) Black Panther, Solo and Deadpool 2 in his top 5 of the year :thinking:

His departure has softened up the old man. Pathetic 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Or maybe people was not that interested in ant man. I mean the movie was good but nothing special in his character is not really essential to the MC universe. 

I mean, true, the first didn't generate overwhelming interest either but with a similar release date it did generate a very impressive 3.0 multiplier. And, actually, something in the movie does seem absolutely essential to the MC universe and the next Avengers. Very, very essential. To the extent that if AMatW doesn't leg it out, Marvel Studios may have to double down on a reminder in Captain Marvel.

Realistically though, I imagine Marvel Studios expected a Doctor Strange OW and DOM total. AMatW should still absolutely come very close to Strange's DOM total.

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Nobody is debating whether it will have legs or not. I'm sure the legs will be fine, for a sequel. I'm not ready to predict a sequel to a film that got barely over a 3.0multi to get another 3.0 multi. I'm not saying that's impossible but it's rare. It's especially rare for such a frontloaded genre. 

Deadpool 2 - even without the holiday Monday Deadpool hadto really boost the hell out of its opening Monday - is having very similar legs to Deadpool. Infinity War had better legs than Ultron even with a much, much higher OW DOM. Ragnarok had better legs than Dark World also with a much bigger OW than Dark World. It's rare but can happen. Summer days really buoy legs. At least, usually. Now, time will tell with AMatW.

• Like 2