WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

2 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

As far as BP Oscar chances, I know Oscar season doesn't start till fall but what are the top contenders for best picture thus far?

Looking at a couple of betting site

First man / a star is born / widows / mortal / If Beale Street Could Talk

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Nova said:

If those films were released today, the thought of them getting a nomination would be laughed at. 

Like what? The Exorcist, Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders, E.T. would still be nominated today I'm sure. And plenty of big movies do get in today as Barnack noted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

So First Man would be the blockbuster in the group?

The highest blockbuster on betters list is by far Black Panther at the moment, Ready Player One / Incredibles 2 far down the line.

16 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Like what? The Exorcist, Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders, E.T. would still be nominated today I'm sure. And plenty of big movies do get in today as Barnack noted. 

I dont think so. I think the moment those films garnered the success they did at the box office, the academy would look the other way. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

That makes zero sense. 

How does it make zero sense? It literally happens today. The original Star Wars movies released today would not get nominations at the Oscars for best picture. They would literally get thrown into the franchise category and how franchises are ruining the industry/box office and thus ignored. 

The same thing will happen with Black Panther. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

Went from 100 million plus is in sight to under 80 million in a blink of an eye. Ant Man and the Flop indeed.

Joking aside the opening isn’t bad or great. Came in the low end of tracking so hurray I guess. 

Whats next that could surprise? I see Skyscraper brought up sometimes. Personally I think that movie looks absolutely atrocious.

Maybe MI6...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nova said:

I dont think so. I think the moment those films garnered the success they did at the box office, the academy would look the other way. 

Box office is still a big plus for the Academy I think (not sure Get Out get in without is giant success).

James Cameron explanation make some sense it well in one interview, the biggest branch of the Academy is the acting branch, if the movie is perceived to be too effect heavy and not actors driven enough they can reject them (and more and more that the case of movie garnering giant success). That and the sequel/movie universe is why we see a disconnect between the biggest success at the box office and Best picture nomination, not that the voters do not want to vote for a movie just because it is making a lot of money.

They voted for Gravity/The Martian, why would they not vote for a Jaws, Gladiator or Raiders.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

How does it make zero sense? It literally happens today. The original Star Wars movies released today would not get nominations at the Oscars for best picture. They would literally get thrown into the franchise category and how franchises are ruining the industry/box office and thus ignored. 

The same thing will happen with Black Panther. 

Why would the original Star Wars movie be seen a lot differently than Avatar/Lord of the Ring/Fury Road ? It would not be a franchise yet, it would be a totally original new think in voter eye, an very long dream vision put on screen by an artist with a lot of control doing is thing and succeeding in this franchise world ? 

Think it would get more nominations than it did back in the days.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Oooof, Ant Man Sunday numbers at my theatre aren’t great either. Went from “Maybe will hit our equivalent of 60” after Saturday matinee to “not even gonna hit 50”

Just now, Nova said:

How does it make zero sense? It literally happens today. The original Star Wars movies released today would not get nominations at the Oscars for best picture. They would literally get thrown into the franchise category and how franchises are ruining the industry and thus ignored. 

Fury Road is part of a franchise and need I remind you of how well that movie did at the Oscars? The LOTR films, too. Plus Star Wars technically wasn't yet a franchise when it got nominated so it'd be even less of an issue anyway.

All those old blockbusters I listed and most if not all blockbusters getting nominated today share one relevant thing in common: they were accomplished enough to be in the conversation. If you want to see more blockbusters nominated today how about having them be better movies. 

11 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

@DeeCee what could this mean for next weekend?

There’s school holidays so it shouldn’t drop much I would think. 

At first glance I was going to say are they stupid? It’s winter here. Then I realised that was the title. 

• Like 1

The Academy hates comic book movies. That’s what I should have originally said but I didn’t want to turn this thread into a conversation of whether those films were “worthy” or not so I misspoke and turned it into all blockbusters/franchises. 

1 minute ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Wow did not realize BP metacritic score was 88! That's way higher then WW (76). Still not convinced it gets best picture but could get other major noms along with tech noms (costuming and soundtrack).

I think BP best picture nominations is a bit over 50% likely to happen.

Logan got in the WGA last year, Guardian of the Galaxy in 2014, Wonder Woman made the Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures list. Those movie were maybe not too far.

Black Panther bigger success, better critical success, it has good chance.

• Like 1

For everyone who expects Black Panther to get Oscar nods for BP, BD or BSA...don't say that you were not warned. No matter how much of a cultural phenomenon it was, it will not be able to overcome the "genre franchise" thing. Get Out and Dunkirk are not good comparisons at all and yall know it.

BP will get exactle the same amount of Oscar nods Wonder Woman got: zero.

• Like 1