WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

I don't mind if IW or BP was snubbed, they have enough money to shine. And, I am quite supportive on AMPAS's preference in favoring of niche or independence film. 

The idea is simple, major studio support big-budget film for commercial work, while AMPAS back up all the independence film. 

Nonsense, plenty of blockbusters win Oscars - at least in technical categories. ROTK won 11.

That includes superhero movies: Suicide Squad won one, and Logan was nominated in a "prestige" category. And that is just for the last couple of years.

But after 20 movies it will soon be the MCU's time to shine, finally: I think BP can win Best Song.

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

It was looking strong for both Logan and Wonder Woman for the longest time. Then the fall season hit and all the Oscar bait films got released and both films were forgotten about. The year before that Deadpool pretty much checked off all the boxes you could check off before Oscar nominations came out and it was also left with nothing. Bottom line: people talk Oscars for CBM until it’s actually time to be serious about it and then folks stick their noses up in the air and act like they’re above CBM movies and consider those films not worthy for whatever reason. 🤷🏼‍♂️ But sure let’s have another biopic get a best picture nomination as if we havent seen that get done before....since you know that’s the “excuse” for why CBM shouldn’t be considered. 

Honestly, I think part of the reason they don't get considered is that the Oscars know there usually is a "bump" for nominees...and they've decided they want to bump the movies that both a. need it and b. they'd rather make if money were no object...they don't want to have to star in/direct/produce CBM after CBM to be a big name, so they want to highlight their work in other areas to try to push their stars there...

I have no doubt, pre-Weinstein, we'd have had 1 of the MCU supers nominated by now for best picture...there have been a few down years with WTF mediocre crap-small film nominees that went along with the good ones, and heck, we haven't even always had the 10 nominees.  But it seems the genre is not respected, the same as animated films are not respected and thus got their own category.  I mean, back in the late 90's/00's, it was a travesty that Disney wasn't getting their animated films a top nom every year...so they made a new category, so they could.  Maybe that's what CBM's need...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, stripe said:

BP is already [a]stronger contender than WW for multiple nods, including visual effects, both sounds, editing, costumes and Production design

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

DWkEuIVWkAANF7r.jpg:large

Does the Academy have a category for Best Visual Effects That Look like a Sub Par Video Game?

Edited by StevenG
  • Like 5

AMPAS doesn't normally recognize risky niche films though. Its nominations list is usually made up of safe boring Oscar bait pushed into the conversation by the studio spending obscene amounts of money on campaigning. The 10 nominations thing that was re-introduced to help genre films initially ended up benefiting Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and The Blind Side before it finally got around to Mad Max and Get Out.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Wonder woman didn't get single nomination in a oscar year that emphasis so much on female-empowerment. I doubt BP will have enough of non-factor to drive it in into BP nomination list. 

I honestly don't think that WW had the level of importance that BP had, not to mention the level of success. 

• Like 1

I mean forget CBM. The Academy has a tendency to ignore other genres as well: comedy and horror. 

Why wasn’t Tiffany Haddish nominated for best actress? Or is being a comedian not good enough? God forbid an actress who managed to make the masses laugh gets a nomination over Meryl Streep though. The horror that would cause. 

Maybe if Tiffany Haddish plays Harriet Tubman in her biopic that’ll get her a nom though. Or maybe the Rosa Parks biopic will do 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

AMPAS doesn't normally recognize risky niche films though. Its nominations list is usually made up of safe boring Oscar bait pushed into the conversation by the studio spending obscene amounts of money on campaigning. The 10 nominations thing that was re-introduced to help genre films initially ended up benefiting Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and The Blind Side before it finally got around to Mad Max and Get Out.

BINGO 

• Like 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

I honestly don't think that WW had the level of importance that BP had, not to mention the level of success. 

Passion counts for nominations too. You need voters to rank your movie at #1, if you don't have enough #1's then it's completely irrelevant how many #4 or 5 votes you get. The fact that WW got zero 100's on MC pretty much foretold that it would fail to get enough 1st place votes.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Why wasn’t Tiffany Haddish nominated for best actress? Or is being a comedian not good enough? 

Melissa McCarthy got nominated for Bridesmaids earlier this decade with a similar "breakout comedy star of the year" narrative but that movie was also much closer to a Best Picture nomination in 2011 than Girls Trip was last year (it got an Original Screenplay nom and was recognized by a bunch of other awards). Had the film been a stronger contender in other categories, I'm sure she would've made it in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I mean forget CBM. The Academy has a tendency to ignore other genres as well: comedy and horror. 

Why wasn’t Tiffany Haddish nominated for best actress? Or is being a comedian not good enough? God forbid an actress who managed to make the masses laugh gets a nomination over Meryl Streep though. The horror that would cause. 

Maybe if Tiffany Haddish plays Harriet Tubman in her biopic that’ll get her a nom though. Or maybe the Rosa Parks biopic will do 

Reputation + campaigning are still too important in the race. Melissa McCarthy got nominated for Bridesmaids, so did RDJ for Tropic Thunder. RDJ as a prior nominee and McCarthy from her extensive TV work history helped.

The fact that Coogler has gotten somewhat close to the Oscars previously with Fruitvale Station should help BP a lot. Someone who's never even sniffed the air in the Kodak is going to have a much harder time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

god, i hate biopics. the worst genre

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

I mean forget CBM. The Academy has a tendency to ignore other genres as well: comedy and horror

I assume it's b/c the voters have no sense of humor for the comedies and are too scared to watch the horror films...but yes, this is another deficit...

To have a much higher chance of being nominated, you pretty much need to be a biopic, a period piece, a drama, a musical, or a sob story of some type (especially ones in the current zeitgeist).  Fantasy is allowed, but sci fi is discouraged.  And CBM, comedy, animated, and horror are pretty much out unless you are not a franchise and have a topical zeitgeist theme...and even then, you're not winning...

• Like 2

How come Sorry To Bother You isn’t getting talks of getting any Oscar noms? I wonder why. 

Im sure if it was some drama about a man who struggled his whole life only to overcome the obstacles, it would be at the forefront. 

But hey Sorry To Bother You is a comedy so it’s not “worthy” of being in the conversation. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

How come Sorry To Bother You isn’t getting talks of getting any Oscar noms? I wonder why. 

Im sure if it was some drama about a man who struggled his whole life only to overcome the obstacles, it would be at the forefront. 

But hey Sorry To Bother You is a comedy so it’s not “worthy” of being in the conversation. 

Sorry to Bother You is in the same boat as other acclaimed but WEIRD movies like The Lobster. Its simply not for everyone and will get a lot of WTF reactions. Hard to build a strong Oscar run off movies like that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Passion counts for nominations too. You need voters to rank your movie at #1, if you don't have enough #1's then it's completely irrelevant how many #4 or 5 votes you get. The fact that WW got zero 100's on MC pretty much foretold that it would fail to get enough 1st place votes.

this.