sfran43

Weekend Thread: | Estimates (per BOM) ~ M:I-F 35M, DCR 25.003M, TSWDM 12.35M, MM!HWGA 9.09M, TE2 8.83M, HT3:SV 8.2M, AMatW 6.188M, TDM 5.8M

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Cinemark is bringing back all the Harry Potters + the first Fantastic Beasts for one week in XD on August 31. Gonna be fun to see how desperate theaters will get for content during those two weeks at the end of the month.

Yeah, even with three wide releases on Labor Day, the holdovers are going to be looking baaaaaaad. Searching will be the only movie over 10M that weekend (I don't think Happytime is opening higher than 16-17M and Operation Finale will miss 10M because of the 5 day opening), and I don't expect anything else to be over 7M. Theaters are so lucky there are seven wide releases over the first two weeks of September to take up screen space even if some of them will flop (*cough*Christianfilms*cough*)

Edited by WrathOfHan

Another problem with this August: there aren't any indies that can expand later in the month. Klansman is opening in at least 1,500 theaters next week, and Eighth Grade almost definitely won't get another expansion. There's nothing else of note out to expand into as little as 600-700 theaters.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Operation Finale looks like what someone in like 2003 would put as their early Best Picture winner. Stodgy ass movie, that one.

I saw the trailer for the first time yesterday at MI. It looked pretty good, but I get the sense it's one of those movies that stretches out a premise too thin. I'm curious what the runtime is

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I saw the trailer for the first time yesterday at MI. It looked pretty good, but I get the sense it's one of those movies that stretches out a premise too thin. I'm curious what the runtime is

Chris Weitz is a crappy ass journeyman director, like Louis Leterier without the macho shit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, even with three wide releases on Labor Day, the holdovers are going to be looking baaaaaaad. Searching will be the only movie over 10M that weekend (I don't think Happytime is opening higher than 16-17M and Operation Finale will miss 10M because of the 5 day opening), and I don't expect anything else to be over 7M. Theaters are so lucky there are seven wide releases over the first two weeks of September to take up screen space even if some of them will flop (*cough*Christianfilms*cough*)

I think The Happytime Murders is gonna flop tbh. Buzz is nowhere (I've never even seen the trailer at the movies), the concept (an R-rated puppet movie) is a hard sell, and I doubt Melissa McCarthy's target audience of older women want to see her in a movie like this. Plus the movie doesn't look very funny and is probably being dumped in late August for a good reason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think The Happytime Murders is gonna flop tbh. Buzz is nowhere (I've never even seen the trailer at the movies), the concept (an R-rated puppet movie) is a hard sell, and I doubt Melissa McCarthy's target audience of older women want to see her in a movie like this. Plus the movie doesn't look very funny and is probably being dumped in late August for a good reason.

Yeah, buzz is nowhere near Sausage Party levels.

It's not gonna make much money, but Oscar nominated director + good trailer + good book means that Little Stranger don't sound too bad. It's getting dumped, which is a bad sign, and also Domhall Gleeson when he isn't hamming it up in Star Wars...not a fan.

September is the month for movies that look like promising Oscar-contenders on paper to get dumped because the studios know they don't quite have it in them. Never a good sign for an adult drama with any hopes. I wouldn't put White Boy Rick/Boy Erased/Sisters Brothers in any predictions, needless to say.

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

September is the month for movies that look like promising Oscar-contenders on paper to get dumped because the studios know they don't quite have it in them. Never a good sign for an adult drama with any hopes. I wouldn't put White Boy Rick/Boy Erased/Sisters Brothers in any predictions, needless to say.

Boy Erased is coming out in November but okay

On a opening soon point...is there any buzz for the movie with the worst title ever, The House with a Clock in Its Walls?  (Yes, yes, my spouse told me that was the book title, since he apparently read it, and I said, "So what?  It's still the worst movie title I've seen in awhile.")...I see it's projected for a $24M opening on BoxOffice Pro, but I'm thinking more...

My older two girls LOVED the trailer, and it was the hit trailer from our TTG showing this week.  It looked like what the Goosebumps 2 movie should be...and I'd be hyped to see it during the Halloween "season."

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

Boy Erased is coming out in November but okay

Oh, whoops! I read that in an article, should have double checked. Well considering it's not dropping at Venice or Toronto or New York before release, I still wouldn't get my hopes up on it.

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

On a opening soon point...is there any buzz for the movie with the worst title ever, The House with the Clock in Its Walls?  (Yes, yes, my spouse told me that was the book title, since he apparently read it, and I said, "So what?  It's still the worst movie title I've seen in awhile)...I see it's projected for a $24M opening on BoxOffice Pro, but I'm thinking more...

My older two girls LOVED the trailer, and it was the hit trailer from our TTG showing this week.  It looked like what the Goosebumps 2 movie should be...and I'd be hyped to see it during the Halloween "season."

Doesn't seem like a whole lot. Trailer views (I know) are 1.5M for the first trailer, 2.2M for the second, although being a family movie, it's not supposed to have major views. I do think the $24M seems accurate though. Goosebumps opened around there IIRC.

• Like 2

Ehh fuck it I'm bored. September predictions (I'm ignoring the Christian/Pure Flix shit and Fahrenheit 11/9)!

Night School: 120M

The Nun: 95M

Smallfoot: 85M

The Predator: 80M

The House with the Long-Ass Name: 80M

A Simple Favor: 70M

Life Itself: 40M

Hell Fest: 30M

Peppermint: 30M

White Boy Rick: 25M

Jeez, next month's gonna be dull.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

21 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Oh, whoops! I read that in an article, should have double checked. Well considering it's not dropping at Venice or Toronto or New York before release, I still wouldn't get my hopes up on it.

September was the original date, but then Focus decided On the Basis of Sex needed to be dumped on Christmas.