grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

Next year, they could have most of the nominees in that case. :lol:

Captain Marvel

Avengers 4

Lion King

Spider-Man: FFH

Episode 9

And those are just the safe to safe-ish bets... :ohmygod:

FK is likely the only non-Disney one to get in this year if it really does end up working that way. And what an absolute joke that would make the category right off the bat to have a movie like that in it. 

The annoying part is movies like BP, IW, and I2 should all be strong enough to stand in legitimate discussion for the expanded BP field anyways, but the Academy refuses to change their stubborn biases. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Watch the category literally be the top 5 DOM grossers are the 5 nominees. With a name like "best popular film", that's the sort of thing this is shaping up to be. Disney also pretty much locks up the win in the category every year in that case, which would line up if they really are the ones behind this. 

Many movies run is not done by the time they announce the nominee usually.

It will almost certainly be a committee pick process a la best SFX/foreign/etc... with a short list created were a top 5 is picked from by regulars voters.

Just now, Barnack said:

It will almost certainly be a committee pick process a la best SFX/foreign/etc... with a short list created were a top 5 is picked from by regulars voters.

i agree i don't think it's gonna be defined by anything like budget or box office. just everyone gets a shortlist of franchise-y non-oscary hits to vote on.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If they're being so brazen with the category name as to outright call it "best popular film", I feel gross is bound to be involved here. This is clearly not a category they're making with any prestige intended. 

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If they're being so brazen with the category name as to outright call it "best popular film", I feel gross is bound to be involved here. This is clearly not a category they're making with any prestige intended. 

It will be taken into account by the committee and no movie with a low gross will make it, but I doubt it will be a top 5 made determined just by something like box office.

14 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I still have absolutely no idea what this silly award is going to mean for the BP nominees. Will making a certain amount of money officially prevent a movie from getting nominated for Best Picture? 

Not absolutely in no way a movie that played for the requirement amount of time in a paying theater in los angeles and didn't release first on home video will be excluded from BP.

Animation/foreign/documentaries/etc... are all valid pick for BP and it was said to be the same for this new one if it happen.

There is some change that making BP would disqualify you for best popular too, I could see that happen, so the best popular is not always won by the Gravity / Life of Pi / Martian / La la land / Revenant / Get out / etc... the 2-3 popular movies that always get nominated in BP winning each year.

Edited by Barnack

• Founder / Operator
15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

FK is likely the only non-Disney one to get in this year if it really does end up working that way. And what an absolute joke that would make the category right off the bat to have a movie like that in it. 

The annoying part is movies like BP, IW, and I2 should all be strong enough to stand in legitimate discussion for the expanded BP field anyways, but the Academy refuses to change their stubborn biases. 

I'm holding out hope! I really think Panther or I2 have legit chances at a BP nod. Leaning toward Panther.

• Founder / Operator
25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Spider-Man FFH isn’t technically a Disney movie. It doesn’t change the fact that Disney will most likely be the only studio to actually win anything in this category, though. 

Ah, dammit -- you are right, of course. I keep forgetting that since Spidey became part of the MCU. #Shame

• Knock It Off 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Since the guy in charge says this is b/c they don't want The Oscars to become The Independent Spirit awards then budget would also be a likely consideration

that's true i doubt something like Get Out would be nominated here like others have said.

and btw ironically i think the indie spirit awards have gotten too goddamn commercial recently and too Oscary. Get Out won Best Picture there and... is not an indie movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I'm holding out hope! I really think Panther or I2 have legit chances at a BP nod. Leaning toward Panther.

They had their chance recently with Inside Out, Coco  & Zootopia - all of which were more critically acclaimed than I2 - so I don't see it breaking through.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator
2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They had their chance recently with Inside Out, Coco  & Zootopia - all of which were more critically acclaimed than I2 - so I don't see it breaking through.

But, but... ~$600 million domestic!

;)

• Founder / Operator
6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Since the guy in charge says this is b/c they don't want The Oscars to become The Independent Spirit awards then budget would also be a likely consideration

Very interesting/good observation. If that rules out films like Get Out and A Quiet Place, that would be a shame.

Yeah I do not see how I2 would have any shoot, would be a really strange pick.

8 sequel in 90 year's got nominated:

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015) ...

TOY STORY 3 (2010) ...

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (2003) ...

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS (2002) ...

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991) ...

THE GODFATHER: PART III (1990) ...

THE GODFATHER: PART II (1974) ...

THE BELLS OF ST.

Would need an exceptionally bad year for something like I2 to join that exceptional group with how the voting work.

8 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Very interesting/good observation. If that rules out films like Get Out and A Quiet Place, that would be a shame.

Yes an no, those movies have a completely legit shot at Best Picture and are not perceived to need a new category for recognition.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1