YM!

YourMother’s Fear IV Reviews: Pumpkin Spiced Fall Edition From The Crypt

Earthsong Volume 1: Haven’s Guard

I need sometime to process my thoughts on this. This is an ambitious film to say the least, there’s a lot of world building done, mostly strongly, creative action set pieces, and likeable characters. However at the same time is how soon the film ends, like you’d think it’s the end of second act but it ends there leaving the film at a pretty unsatisfactory ending (then again if what I here about the source is true then I’d have to wait until the next film). Not to mention some of the exposition makes it a bit of a hassle. Overall it’s a decent experience but I can’t describe it, it’s like pineapple on pizza in film. I had fun though and hopefully the next films are better as the franchise has a lot of potential. Sorry if my review is not the best but I’m at a loss right now.

6.5/10.0

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Earthsong Volume 1: Haven’s Guard

6.5/10.0

Disappointing but fair.

I thought about adding onto the ending with a scene of the guard back at the Haven, or showing a glimpse of where Willow wound up, but I thought the hard cut on the question was more impactful. Obviously though if the impact is frustration or bewilderment that's not a good thing :P

Spoiler

I guess a lot of people would assume the third act/ending should be them rescuing Willow but there's no way to do that with the source material. That doesn't happen until much, much later in the story. Matter of fact the title of the second volume - if I get to make it - is Earthsong Volume II: The Mandragora, which if you remember that term should give you some idea of the plot.

Edited by Xillix
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Disappointing but fair.

I thought about adding onto the ending with a scene of the guard back at the Haven, or showing a glimpse of where Willow wound up, but I thought the hard cut on the question was more impactful. Obviously though if the impact is frustration or bewilderment that's not a good thing :P

Hide contents

I guess a lot of people would assume the third act/ending should be them rescuing Willow but there's no way to do that with the source material. That doesn't happen until much, much later in the story. Matter of fact the title of the second volume - if I get to make it - is Earthsong Volume II: The Mandragora, which if you remember that term should give you some idea of the plot.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a good movie but personally the ending, it didn’t sit right with me.

I do think it’ll do fine box office wise though, it vs Midas for the May crown will be interesting. 

• Like 1

Paradise Lost

First things first, I am probably going to be a wee bit critical (I am somewhat of faith but tend to be the most critical of faith based movies) but the movie on this budget and scale should feel monumental, and I know it was a filler but imho it could’ve and should’ve had a lot of potential. Besides that it’s an alright film with dazzling visuals but has some very uncomfortable parts. I think it’s target audience will like it somewhat but my god this was a let down.

4.0/10.0

American Dragon: Darkness Rising

A better sequel than the original American Dragon, more action, more heart and more Fu Dog. Found the Rose/Jake stuff better than the action though, but it’s very good sequel and I look forward to the ending of the trilogy.

7.7/10.0

latest?cb=20171228131245&key=d571718d8c1

Brave

Pretty much the same as the original but an enjoyable ride nonetheless. Curious to see how this stacks up box office wise.

6.6/10.0

• Thanks 1

Frindle 

A well made but unextraordinary family film about what to do with a writing utensil.

6.7/10.0

Chuck Norris and Liam Nesson vs The Loch Ness Monster

A very campy yet enjoyable B movie boosted by Norris and Nesson.

6.8/10.0

• Thanks 1

The Odyssey: Homecoming 

Despite some strong performances, and great action sequences, the edgier sequel is sadly the weakest in the trilogy.

7.1/10.0

Spoiler

This is a lie, I think this might be my favorite in the trilogy. The slow burn in terms of action and R rating help enchance the story as Ithaca descends into darkness. The characters are all strong all around, Odysseus, Penelope, Telemachus and Eurymachus being standouts imho. The writing here is some of the strongest I’ve seen in the franchise. The third act is glorious to see on the big screen also enjoyed Posideon curbstomping Odysseus. Everything wraps up nicely, overall this was probably my favorite film of the year. @Rorschach you fucked aced it. The Odyssey trilogy is definitely going down in CAYOM history.

10.0/10.0

tumblr_inline_mqrh26jIU11qz4rgp.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The Odyssey: Homecoming 

Despite some strong performances, and great action sequences, the edgier sequel is sadly the weakest in the trilogy.

7.1/10.0

Reveal hidden contents

After Counsel performed well above my expectations, I honestly had no idea if I could top it. From the sound of it, it seems I did. Thank you for the kind words. 😊

• Like 1

Requests are now opened for the rest of Year 4 but these films are going first:

Voltron: Reunion

Tattooed Teenage 4lien Fighters From Beverly Hills

Amulet II: The Last Council

Jonny Jonny: The Big Fucking Movie 

Silent Hill II 

You all get two requests, one film of your own and one film of someone else’s.

• Like 1

Top 10 of Y4 so far: (not including my own films)

Spoiler

10.) One Piece: The Journey Begins @Reddroast

9.) Chuck Norris and Liam Nesson vs The Loch Ness Monster @Blankments

8.) Our City: Growth @Electric

7.) Reality Shift @Blankments

6.) American Dragon: Darkness Rising @Xillix

5.) A Month at Belmond Lane @Spagheditary

4.) Mass Effect @4815162342

3.) Pillars of Eternity @4815162342

2.) Pokémon: Rise Of The Rockets @4815162342

1.) The Odyssey: Homecoming @Rorschach

Edit: Small mistake made.