chasmmi

Top 100 Animated Countdown. Reveal begins in 10-12 hours. Just hanging on for that last minute rushed top 20 list that changes everything...

239th - Penguins of Madagascar: 2 Votes, 0 top 10, 31 points

Previous List - Outside top 150

My first showcase of a film that missed the top 100. 

To me, Penguins of Madagascar is one of the silliest films of the past decade in the best possible way. There are puns and wordplay, oh the wordplay - it's glorious. I will never claim that this is the highest quality film ever made, but it nails the comedy so well. I just laughed from start to finish and I wish more people had either made the time to watch what is admittedly a Madagascar spin off, or that they appreciated more the true silly fun that this film was.  

• Like 2

351st - Shrek the Third: 1 Vote, 0 top 10, 1 points

Previous List - Outside top 150 (obviously)

And here is my first talk of a film that deserved to miss the list. 

Nobody will be surprised this did not get close to a top 100 spot. It is an awful film. However it is an awful film in a franchise that has films people love, and it made a lot of money. Thus in an animation only list where there are frankly only about 4-500 films in total for most folk at max to choose from (unless they and animemaniacs), I thought it would get a couple more token votes than it got. 

When Chicken Little is getting two votes, I was expecting Shrek 3 to maybe score about 35-40 points and finish around the same spot as Cars 2 (and equally hated film in a less liked franchise) around the 230th place mark.

In fact the film only got it solitary single point vote in the 37th or 38th list received out of the 40 and so really looked like it would be the highest grossing film to score zero points. 

As it is, that honour goes to that grotesque Jim Carrey Christmas Carol thing, with Epic as the only other film to gross over $100M domestic and not register a single vote (Gnomeo and Juliet is also about 500 dollars away from also joining this club. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

96th - Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs: 12 Votes, 0 top 10, 143 points

Previous List - Outside top 150 (that surprised me)

One of the more fun, nothing animations out there. 

I like the Cloudy films (so yep I am 5 for 5), I like them to the point that I was one of the two people to give votes to the sequel (if for nothing else, the amazing vegetable puns) which ended up in 243rd. There was a time when outside of Disney and the odd Don Bluth film, you would be delighted if anybody else was making a film of the quality of this let alone a what is maybe the 3rd or 4th tier of US mainstream animation right now. It's fun, and stuff like this and Rio do fun well. 

Glad Cloudy made it. It's such a fun film! I was the other guy who voted for the sequel hehe; I disliked it the first time I saw it but loved it the second time. Too bad it didn't make it as well.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

96th - Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs: 12 Votes, 0 top 10, 143 points

Previous List - Outside top 150 (that surprised me)

I thought I remembered it being there, so I checked and It was actually 67th last time:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

97th - The Rescuers: 10 Votes, 0 top 10, 140 points

Previous List - 116th

Too low!

This is also the first film to increase from the year before which surprises me a little. It also beats its sequel that ended up in 112th.

Wut

It also means that I am 4 for 4 as this crept onto my list for nostalgia's sake. (A vote that knocked a beloved Don Bluth film into 101st).

WUT

:ohmyzod::sarah::kitschjob:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rorschach said:

When Marnie Was There is one of the very few films that has managed to get me teary-eyed in my lifetime.

source.gif

I think being high could help me understand how Inside Out was voted the greatest animation of all time.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I think being high could help me understand how Inside Out was voted the greatest animation of all time.

I mean, personally, I think there's quite a few animated films I'd put above Inside Out but I completely understand why people love it so much.

I can't stan for your diss of The Incredibles though. That's where I cross the line.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

95th - Song of the Sea: 9 Votes, 1 top 10, 146 points

Previous List - 76th

I'm no longer batting 100%

The only reason I know of this film is because it performed strongly last time around and even though it has fallen a few places, it still makes the top 100. I do not even know if the film is Irish made or just Irish set without looking it up. (Looking it up, it appears to be an Irish studio but with some collaboration with other European animation houses in places). 

Making judgement purely on the clip above, it certainly isn't a mega-budget film from an animation perspective, but also simpler can also serve the right purpose in the right circumstances. The vocal work sounds charming enough and it was on my shortlist (well 16 film list) of films in the top 100 I personally have not seen and thus will try to watch before they pop up in the list. But it appeared a little to early for me to manage it. (One or two more may suffer this same fate if I carry on long enough in this stint).

So I ask the 9 people that voted for it, why should one watch this film? For its charm? its music? the story? to laugh? to cry? What is the draw? 

• Like 7

94th - Watership Down: 9 Votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10, 147 points

Previous List - 119th

I think one of three (there may be another slipping my mind) films on this list that I struggled to watch as a young child. 

Dying rabbits, blood, anger and more dying rabbits, that is pretty much my memory of this film. I saw it when I was probably about 7 years old and yet whenever I see clips like those above, it all comes flooding back. 

When I see this film make a list like this, I wonder the reasons for the votes. It has two top 10 votes, are those from people that saw it a long long time ago and retain a memory of the film being great? Are the votes after rewatching again at a more mature age and realising the film actually has a lot of merit and strong story separate from the violence and gore? Or are they from people that are making a statement that they wished more children's media today had the balls or bravery to produce something this visceral that is aimed at the younger viewer. I'm curious. 

For me, I think I snuck the film on the very end of my list in the 90's because it is certainly a film that left an impression on me, and certainly has an aura to it, whether baby chas appreciated it for what it was at the time or not. 

• Like 8

93rd - Anastasia: 10 Votes, 1 top 5, 148 points

Previous List - 124th

Before I was conscripted into taking over this list, my future list plan was to return to my top movie songs countdown which I last did two years ago. Not sure when is a good time to do that now as I have done two countdowns in quick succession, but when I do the above song will be on my list.

As for the film, I actually only saw it for the first time a few days ago. What is crazy about that fact is that I remember the trailers on TV for it when it was first released and being really interested in seeing it as I was still just about still willing to watch Disney animations at the time (I know, I know, but 13 year old me thought it was a Disney film). Somehow it took me 20 years to finally see it. 

...and I thought it was great. Like surprisingly great. The voice acting is really good, it has some of the Bluthian darkness that his earlier films are famous for, and it has really really good songs. It's crazy to realise that Christopher Lloyd is not singing in the clip above, it's actually the same guy that pretends to be Jeremy Irons singing in Be Prepared. 

This a thoroughly recommendable film in my opinion and one that should have done much better than it did. I don't quite get the purpose that the bat serves, but other than that, it's a really good time.

• Like 9

92nd - The Fox and the Hound: 11 Votes,  148 points

Previous List - 96th

Another of those films I watched all the time from like 5 to 11 years old. But haven't really since then...

But I remember scenes from the film, the pups growing up together, the bit where they realise they are on different sides now. There are a lot of emotional and strong scenes in this film, I even wonder how many of the Disney films before this truly had scenes like the one about that could genuinely make adult viewers get potentially weepy... maybe Dumbo, Bambi... Pinocchio? 

Fox and the Hound has an underatedly strong story and I am glad to see it on the list. 

• Like 8

91st - Millennium Actress: 6 Votes, 2 top 5  149 points

Previous List - 94th

Our second Japanese animation, and first non-Ghibli one.

And also the second film on the list that I have not seen. This film is certainly beloved by the people that have seen it as it makes the list with only 6 votes, only one other film achieves that. In fact only 11 films in total made the list with less than 10 votes and we have 5 of them including this one. You have to drop down to 116th and Waltzing with Bashir to find a lower placed film with 6 votes or less (5 votes) and that film would have needed the potential 6th voter to rate it in the top 20 for it to make the top 100 and in the top 4 to overtake Millennium Actress. 

The film above certainly looks pretty, and the music in that scene makes it feel very uplifting even if I cannot follow the Japanese being spoken. Also in director Satoshi Kon, we have a man that may have received votes for more different films in his filmography than almost any other single director. How many of those made the list... that is the question though. 

I can confirm that at least one other film made the top 100 and at least one other film missed it.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

184th - Rise of the Guardians: 3 Votes, 50 points

Previous List - 141st

The second in my series of films that should have done better.

Rise of the Guardians is one of Dreamworks' more creative and also more forgotten films. In a sea of Madagascar and Shrek sequels, this film told an original story in a pretty cool way. When I watched this I was really surprised at how much it underperformed as I personally was all in on the story, thought the visuals were stunning and was happy to see this turn into the franchise that it never became. 

Sad to see it appears destined to fall into obscurity as Dreamworks' almost Black Cauldron film. 

• Like 8

177th - The Good Dinosaur: 5 Votes, 54 points

Previous List - 133rd

And the second in my 'Fuck this Movie' choices

There are only two Pixar films that I truly dislike and I can't talk about the other as it made the list, so here is a tiny mini-rant on this abomination. The worst thing Pixar has ever done and how it gets 54 points, just saddens me. Everything about this film just sat wrong with me, the random changes in tone, the trying to be the Lion King moments, the mix of amazing background visuals with jarringly ugly character models. Even the voice-work just seems to always have the wrong voices coming out of the wrong dinosaurs for my taste. 

I remember watching this film and just wandering how Pixar can get something so badly wrong. I am happy that it not only missed the top 100, but has now also fallen out of the top 150.   

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1