Eric Atreides

The Gentlemen l STX l January 24, 2020 | Guy Ritchie directs l COLIN FARRELL IS HERE l Also Matthew McConaughey, Henry Golding | Hugh Grant in fine form.

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

None of my friends see the movies released in January because they “suck,” is a quote ive gotten several times over the years when asking to see a film with a January release. 

Hmm, okay. I guess it's just me then. I'm surrounded by people who hardly care about movies (it's usually me taking my friends, girlfriend, parent etc.).

I watched The Gentlemen on the weekend and enjoyed it immensely. I'm also a big fan of Ritchie's Snatch, and Lock, stock and two smoking barrels. I can see this being a movie people either love or hate. 

If you are someone with sensitive sensibilities and get offended at just about everything, you definitely will not enjoy it and you should probably skip it for everyone's benefit.

Hugh Grant was fantastic, as was Colin Farrell, who was also excellent in "In Bruges" back in 2008. Charlie Hunnam was unexpectedly good imo, but as he is mixing with some of these names it makes perfect sense and he was seamless. I'd watch an entire movie about Farrel's character "The coach". Hopefully it gets a sequel.

• Like 1

@Nova @JB33

imo 99% of people have no knowledge of the January dumping ground.

the most release-schedule knowledge most average people know, it seems to me, is - summer has blockbuster films, and winter (Nov - Jan) has awards films.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Avatree said:

@Nova @JB33

the most release-schedule knowledge most average people know, it seems to me, is - summer has blockbuster films, and winter (Nov - Jan) has awards films.

Yeah, that's pretty much been my experience too.

I know I keep on saying the same thing, but I'm just so thrilled with the reactions to this movie. Seems universally positive. January may have started with some absolute duds, but it looks like we're going to get some gems too.

• Like 1

I’m really hoping this does well at the box office. Imagine if we get a January of hits like 1917, Just Mercy, Bad Boys 3 and The Gentlemen. All well received films that did well at the box office. 

This could end up being a solid month after all! 

On 1/16/2020 at 5:35 AM, Avatree said:

@Nova @JB33

That hasn’t been my experience personally. Anecdotal of course but my core group of friends have caught on with the trends. 

On 1/18/2020 at 6:01 AM, Nova said:

According to box office pro this is opening in 2,000 theaters next weekend. 

Yep. Small-ish release, especially considering the fair bit of buzz it seems to be getting, not to mention marketing. I've seen more TV ads for this than anything this January.

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yep. Small-ish release, especially considering the fair bit of buzz it seems to be getting, not to mention marketing. I've seen more TV ads for this than anything this January.

Kinda surprised because you’re right it has strong reviews but that’s going to affect its OW unfortunately 

American here. Will I need subtitles? 😉

I forget whether it was Lock Stock or Snatch but subtitles would have helped for one or two of the characters. Still enjoyed both films and looking forward to this one. 

I just checked his filmography and he's currently filming another movie, it's called Cash Truck. Back to back to back. Why the rapid pace Guy? 😊

Edited by lilmac

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 5:14 AM, lilmac said:

American here. Will I need subtitles? 😉

I forget whether it was Lock Stock or Snatch but subtitles would have helped for one or two of the characters. Still enjoyed both films and looking forward to this one. 

I just checked his filmography and he's currently filming another movie, it's called Cash Truck. Back to back to back. Why the rapid pace Guy? 😊

I've seen the movie here in the UK.

I'm British but I'd wager a fair amount that there'd be nothing like the level of difficulty to follow of Lock/Stock and definitely not Snatch. Both of those films used regional British and traveller dialects that are distinct even over here. I suspect American's will only have the very occasional issue, nothing to interfere with the movie experience.

Interested to see how it does Stateside. I really enjoyed it and I think the people who actually go to see it will like it, but might perhaps have a niche flair to it that prevents it from breaking out. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1