Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

Not sure what they are expecting the OW to be, but here are some of the recent multipliers for pre-Thanksgiving movies:

Thor Ragnorak: 2.57

Thor Dark World: 2.40

Doctor Strange: 2.73

Catching Fire: 2.68

Fanstastic Beasts: 3.14

Crimes of Grinderwald: 2.56

Dark World was an outlier, but we all know what people think of it. With ANY kind of positive WOM or good reviews, BPWF should have at least a 2.6X multiplier. Predicting a box office run without predicting an OW is just plain stupid.

This "should" have an OW of $180 million (whatever "should" means) and "should" at least make $450 million domestic.

Again, I don't know what the criteria for "should" is so maybe it's just my own.

Sorry, this is the most excited I've been for any movie since TFA. And I am expecting to like it a LOT more.

Edited by jedijake

16 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Not sure what they are expecting the OW to be, but here are some of the recent multipliers for pre-Thanksgiving movies:

Thor Ragnorak: 2.57

Thor Dark World: 2.40

Doctor Strange: 2.73

Catching Fire: 2.68

Fanstastic Beasts: 3.14

Crimes of Grinderwald: 2.56

Dark World was an outlier, but we all know what people think of it. With ANY kind of positive WOM or good reviews, BPWF should have at least a 2.6X multiplier. Predicting a box office run without predicting an OW is just plain stupid.

This "should" have an OW of $180 million (whatever "should" means) and "should" at least make $450 million domestic.

Again, I don't know what the criteria for "should" is so maybe it's just my own.

Sorry, this is the most excited I've been for any movie since TFA. And I am expecting to like it a LOT more.

It's very possible that BPWF will be more front loaded than all of those examples you gave, even if WOM is good/great. The MCU initial demand is now essentially on par with Star Wars (at least for sequels). While my expectation is 230 x 2.6 or so, I wouldn't be shocked if it was 250 x 2.3-2.4 either. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wolverpool XXR said:

It's very possible that BPWF will be more front loaded than all of those examples you gave, even if WOM is good/great. The MCU initial demand is now essentially on par with Star Wars (at least for sequels). While my expectation is 230 x 2.6 or so, I wouldn't be shocked if it was 250 x 2.3-2.4 either. 

You think the OW will be THAT high?

6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The super late marketing strategy for this one is...interesting.

Not a whole lot different than No Way Home. Actually, the full trailer is coming out sooner than NWH. It's just that NWH seemed to have more free marketing in the way of word of mouth. Plus, the marketing has been MUCH better than ThorLT. There's been "stuff" out there (photos, stories, toy leaks). It just doesn't have the constant discussion that NWH had.

One thing to realize with the box office is that it will have a good hold in its third weekend due to Thanksgiving holiday. And the mid-week should be excellent that week.

Edited by jedijake

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

The super late marketing strategy for this one is...interesting.

Well, they likely didn't know what kind of movie/story they even had until late in the game on this one, then how it all comes together through editing, etc.  This one was reconceived/rushed from numerous perspectives and dealt with significant star-performance issues, but Coogler has more than proven his chops so far...I'm willing to bet he's delivered here, too.    

Edited by Macleod

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

If this movie gets good critical reviews and has a monstrous OW with a decent multiplier, they NEED to at least offer Coogler the keys to Avengers Secret Wars.

I guarantee you that discussion has already happened. Whether he's interested in it or accepted it, is another question. 

• Like 3