Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

7 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Does anyone else feel like the polarizing reception for the last couple of movies is going to cause this to underperform? Or is it just me? The lack of a proper lead now that Chadwick's gone won't help matters either. I wouldn't be surprised to see it miss the billion dollar mark.

Probably not. People look at each movie separately and BP is on a different level. People felt that DS2 didn't deliver on what was advertised and thus its bad legs. TLAT was criticized for being TOO goofy, affecting its tone. But look at NWH. Totally different story. 

20 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Does anyone else feel like the polarizing reception for the last couple of movies is going to cause this to underperform? Or is it just me? The lack of a proper lead now that Chadwick's gone won't help matters either. I wouldn't be surprised to see it miss the billion dollar mark.

Only lat had polarising reception. Mom didnt. If we are putting every mcu movie with sib 80% on rt as "polarizing then over half the mcu should be polarizing which is simply false. 

If a movie is widely considered solid then its not polarising.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jeight said:

Only lat had polarising reception. Mom didnt. If we are putting every mcu movie with sib 80% on rt as "polarizing then over half the mcu should be polarizing which is simply false. 

If a movie is widely considered solid then its not polarising.

This is simply inaccurate. DS2 got a B+, same as love and thunder. Other audience reception metrics are also poor. It was a polarizing reception, and not “widely considered solid”

11 hours ago, Legion By Night said:

This is simply inaccurate. DS2 got a B+, same as love and thunder. Other audience reception metrics are also poor. It was a polarizing reception, and not “widely considered solid”

It is widely considered solid. Alao didnt joker get a b+ as well?

This is ridiculous. It has decent audiebce scores everywhere. Lets not rewrite history 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeight said:

This is ridiculous. It has decent audiebce scores everywhere. Lets not rewrite history 

Can’t tell if you’re willfully in denial or just don’t know how to interpret reception metrics

Edited by Legion By Night

1 hour ago, Jeight said:

You can't compare an R-rated movie to PG-13 with Cinemascore, the proper comparison for DS2 is with other MCU films, where it's tied for 2nd-worst. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

DS2 was certainly more divisive than Disney was likely hoping it would be. A B+ on Cinemascore is pretty subpar for the MCU. 

Cinemascore isn't the only metric for audience reception.  Like I said mom has solid scores everywhere.  It's certainly not mos,  bvs,  ws84, aquaman or jl in its reception. And it has better scores than tss which was acclaimed by critics. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

You can't compare an R-rated movie to PG-13 with Cinemascore, the proper comparison for DS2 is with other MCU films, where it's tied for 2nd-worst. 

I certainly can since the r-rating doesn't mean anything. Cinemascore measures audience reception on opening night based on expectations.  Who in their right mind didn't expect joker to be r-rated or dark?  The trailers were very clear.  Also both dead pool movies and Logan are in the a and they are rated so r-rated cbms don't get special treatment.

Like I said mom has better rt audience score than tss which was acclaimed. It has good reception on most sites that measure it

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jeight said:

I certainly can since the r-rating doesn't mean anything. Cinemascore measures audience reception on opening night based on expectations.  Who in their right mind didn't expect joker to be r-rated or dark?  The trailers were very clear.  Also both dead pool movies and Logan are in the a and they are rated so r-rated cbms don't get special treatment.

Like I said mom has better rt audience score than tss which was acclaimed. It has good reception on most sites that measure it

TSS didn't have stellar reception from audiences so this proves nothing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

These costumes are incredible. 

Yep, everything "looks" great about this production...hope the story lives up, too! 

But I think they went the smart route by embracing real-life tragedies and how the whole world would be wanting to get a piece of Wakanda...

Edited by Macleod

Domestic Box Office Predictions from Cinelytic

Avatar: Way of Water $650 million 
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever $420 million
Black Adam: $328 million
Halloween Ends: $130 million

from Variety:

2022's Last Hopes: Box Office Projections for 'Avatar 2,' 'Black Adam,' 'Black Panther 2' - Variety 

Predictive data provided exclusively to Variety Intelligence Platform from content analytics firm Cinelytic assesses four films that should earn big at the box office between now and the end of December. James Cameron’s “Avatar: The Way of Water” sequel is expected to make the biggest splash, followed by Disney’s sequel to “Black Panther,” Warner Bros.’ DC film “Black Adam” starring Dwayne Johnson and Universal’s new “Halloween” sequel.

Cinelytic predicts Disney’s follow-up to 20th Century’s 2009 theatrical all-timer will rake in around $650 million at the box office before pulling in around the same amount from VOD and physical sales combined with streaming and TV payouts in the years to come.

This is notably below the $772 million cumulative gross the first “Avatar” earned in the U.S. and Canada, but it will have been 13 years since that film’s triumphant run when “The Way of Water” releases in December.

The projected haul would also put “The Way of Water” below the film currently sitting at No. 1 for 2022: “Top Gun: Maverick” has since grossed more than $700 million domestically and nearly $1.5 billion worldwide since its release, a true achievement given the more than three decades separating it from its 1986 originator.

Still, that may have more to do with the allure of one of the last remaining examples of true star power in one Tom Cruise. Less reliant on singular big-name actors, the return of “Avatar’s” 3D visuals may no longer have the same pull now that the film market sees VFX-heavy superhero tentpoles every year.

The respective $328 million and $423 million Cinelytic predicts for “Black Adam” and “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” are otherwise consistent with the running tally for brand siblings “The Batman” and “Doctor Strange 2” in 2022.

Dwayne Johnson is certainly a get for Warners, especially at a time when the studio absolutely needs its films to turn a profit within the newly christened Warner Bros. Discovery regime, but “Black Adam” is an untested property in DC Entertainment’s film output and doesn’t have the status of “The Batman’s” titular hero, making it unlikely to outgross the March release.

Meanwhile, “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” has the untimely death of star Chadwick Boseman and his subsequent absence working against it, making its projected $424 million domestic haul well below what its 2018 predecessor pulled in, even if it would still outgross the “Doctor Strange” sequel from May. 

Especially fascinating will be the outcome of Universal’s “Halloween Ends,” the third and final film in its reboot of the classic slasher franchise that brought back original star Jamie Lee Curtis for each film. Just like “Halloween Kills” in 2021, “Halloween Ends” will be available to stream on NBCUniversal’s Peacock service when the film hits theaters in October, but Cinelytic forecasts almost $130 million for its domestic gross.

That would be about $40 million more than what “Kills” earned last year, which is an improvement that will be indicative of last year’s lingering COVID uncertainty at cinemas having since lifted should the forecast prove true, though Peacock’s struggle to grow subscribers could also be a factor there.

Edited by Deuce66
  • Thanks 1

Can we assume there will be teasers for the trailer and ticket sales all weekend? It's been very hush-hush.

I also hope we don't get an onslaught of sexists and misogynists complaining and doing a hate campaign because they feel the movie is too female driven. But I guess those folks have already been preparing their brass knuckles of hatred.

I can understand the "recast T'Challa" groups. I get it. It was a tough call but I understand their sentiment. Anyone who loves the character of T'Challa could have a bad taste in their mouth about not recasting.

If the RT scores are insanely good, we could have an OW well over $200 million. What happens after that will have a lot to do with WOM and the audience reaction. But there will already be people waiting to review bomb the movie. After all, the first one was an absolute masterpiece and still had audience scores in the 70's because of "them".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I also hope we don't get an onslaught of sexists and misogynists complaining and doing a hate campaign because they feel the movie is too female driven. 

There's a 99% chance this will happen. There's also a high likelyhood this will be review bombed.

Edited by AnotherDayAnotherDollar