Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

5 hours ago, Eric from Progressive said:

Maggie's not saying there's no enthusiasm or hype for superhero movies anymore guys. Chill. She's just saying the enthusiasm and excitement doesn't feel as potent or sharp. Both opposites can still exist at the same time you know.

But that's only due to Snyder getting kicked out which led to his fanbase turning their ire on WB management instead of participating in the endless flame wars against Marvel fanboys.

All 3 MCU films this year will make the Top 10, The Batman will make the Top 10 and there's a good chance that Black Adam sneaks in too. Isn't 5 out of the Top 10 ENOUGH domination? 

This doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but maybe someone can offer me some insight.

Why would Disney/Marvel schedule this movie for 11/11, the second weekend of November/two weekends before Thanksgiving, when historically (as well as for future November dates), the November Marvel movie would be the first weekend of November/three weekends before Thanksgiving? (I know Thor TDW and FF were/are scheduled for November 8 or 2013 and 2024, the second weekend of November, but it is still three weekends before Thanksgiving, so the comps would be the same)

If the release date was 11/4, that would fit in line with all previous November Marvel movies (like Doctor Strange, which has the same calendar configuration). If it was 11/18, that would be the weekend right before Thanksgiving, which Justice League has taken in 2017, and for the last two decades, has largely been held by a YA adaptation.

This slot (two weekends before TG) is largely untouched by blockbusters. You would have to go back to 2002 for HPCOS for a big tentpole blockbuster to be released on the same relative weekend (11/15/02). This could make comparisons between BPWF and other movies a little difficult for second and third weekend, since it doesn't line up with any other relevant comps. 

36 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

This doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but maybe someone can offer me some insight.

Why would Disney/Marvel schedule this movie for 11/11, the second weekend of November/two weekends before Thanksgiving, when historically (as well as for future November dates), the November Marvel movie would be the first weekend of November/three weekends before Thanksgiving? (I know Thor TDW and FF were/are scheduled for November 8 or 2013 and 2024, the second weekend of November, but it is still three weekends before Thanksgiving, so the comps would be the same)

If the release date was 11/4, that would fit in line with all previous November Marvel movies (like Doctor Strange, which has the same calendar configuration). If it was 11/18, that would be the weekend right before Thanksgiving, which Justice League has taken in 2017, and for the last two decades, has largely been held by a YA adaptation.

This slot (two weekends before TG) is largely untouched by blockbusters. You would have to go back to 2002 for HPCOS for a big tentpole blockbuster to be released on the same relative weekend (11/15/02). This could make comparisons between BPWF and other movies a little difficult for second and third weekend, since it doesn't line up with any other relevant comps. 

For Thanksgiving, it's usually, as you said, MCU....or their WDAS offering, and Strange World is there this year. I think WF would do better in its slot because even with its minimized hype, WF is still doing better than SW on socials so far.

The last Disney Nov. movie that I recall not having the Thanksgiving weekend was BH6.

42 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

Well, it was originally scheduled for this date because The Flash had previously taken the November 4th date. As for why they decided to keep that date, even after WB moved The Flash? I don’t know. Maybe they figure moving the film ahead by a week would only exacerbate the VFX time crunch? 

Well...the trailer only says NOVEMBER...so they reserve the right to change dates as we get closer...and they may do so!  😉  And of course we've seen recent movies change whole months or years (!) despite a trailer saying otherwise!  

And having seen this trailer on the big screen a couple of times recently, I can say it definitely makes a bigger impact there...where all great cinema is meant to be seen, anyway!  

I expect that they rushed this into production and release for very simple reasons...they needed a fourth-quarter film this year for the bottom line, and this was the best candidate at the time...  

Edited by Macleod

Even thought it is a superhero movie and everyone knows it, BP stands on its own in its own fantasy world as if it is its own separate franchise.

We all remember the days and weeks leading up to the full-length trailers for the Star Wars movies. There was constant chatter and speculation and heated anticipation for the official full trailer. I was thinking/hoping there would be the same for this one. But no. No talk or discussion or anticipation for the full trailer EVEN THOUGH we know there was one shown at D23. Not even any leaks out there. Did the first teaser satisfy everyone enough? Was it recent enough that nobody feels the need for another one? Is it that, in recent years, we've come to expect full trailers to be released later than usual? Or, is it possible that there isn't that much interest overall?