Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

That wasn't a trailer. It was an actual clip from the movie (about 3 minutes worth) followed by select scenes from the first teaser (with maybe an added quote or two). And it was about 3 and a half minutes.

It wasn't, it had new footage. But yeah way too short to release as the official trailer (which I do think they need since the teaser was pretty vague about the actual plot). 

Yeah and Sony does things VERY differently. The first "teaser" for No Way Home was nearly 3 minutes long and was much more of an extensive trailer than anything else. When the "official trailer" came out a month before release, it was more of a second full-length trailer.

The official BPWF trailer will pack a punch for sure. Especially if tickets go on sale. I guess no advertisement during NFL games means that we won't have to wait until MNF. Tomorrow morning for sure!

So basic expectations settings:

NWH ~18M prev sales first 24 hr, ~51M prev 

DS2 ~ 9M prev sales first 24hr, ~36M prev

Geomean of these would be 43M prev, roughly 12.5M 24hr. 2:1 weighted toward DS2 would be ~11M, 40.5M.    

I would like to see at least 40M for 220-240ish, so will be looking for $$~+20% of DS2 with anything more being gravy. On optimistic side I think one could argue for matching DS2 x4 24:final, in which case 10M/+10%ish could be okay. Then throw in the longer window here than for those 2 and even par with DS2 first 24hr could easily turn into a top 5 OW.  

So:

<.75MoM24hr: awful

<MoM24 hr: unhappy

+0-15%: alright, wait and see

+15-30%: great

>1.3MoM24hr: spectacular 

• Like 2

Gonna predict a $180-$200 million OW

Domestic: $470-$500 million 

Looking at a slightly better than TFA-to-TLJ drop.

Not due to the same reception that TLJ got, but rather that it's not being released on a holiday AND that the Christmas holiday will cut into it due to AvatarWOW.

I know it's a big range, but until we get some data, I think it's a fair start.

And what the hell @Wolverpool XXRthey started selling them without any notice? WTF are they even doing? Is this a new Chapek style of marketing directive?

Edited by jedijake

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Maybe they are trying to trickle the system a bit, starting with one major chain at a time.

@Wolverpool XXRif it's not that they are avoiding a crash, then why are they taking this approach? As far as I can see, only AMC is selling tickets right now.

Idk, I’m not Feige lol. They did basically the same thing for Endgame (didn’t announce it but released a trailer and tickets at the same time). 

My guess is the trailer comes out at some point today with “tickets on sale” attached to it.

Edited by Wolverpool XXR