Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

I would say the reactions are extremely positive and some were outright superior (best MCU since Endgame, making it better than SC and NWH?).

Scratching my head at the dude who said it's not even the best MCU of the year. WTF? That puts it below DSMoM and/or THLT? Whatever dude!

Mendelson is always an enigma. He sometimes makes no sense at all. What did Scott say about NWH and Engame? First BP?

I predict the RT score to be at least 85% and probably on par with Shang Chi in the 90-ish range. So we'll go with 85-92.

• Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I would say the reactions are extremely positive and some were outright superior (best MCU since Endgame, making it better than SC and NWH?).

Scratching my head at the dude who said it's not even the best MCU of the year. WTF? That puts it below DSMoM and/or THLT? Whatever dude!

Mendelson is always an enigma. He sometimes makes no sense at all. What did Scott say about NWH and Engame? First BP?

I predict the RT score to be at least 85% and probably on par with Shang Chi in the 90-ish range. So we'll go with 85-92.

You realise there are people that don't really hold NWH in high regard, no? Kind of a matter of opinions over there.

The idea that every critic is going to rank films the same way is bizarre, a consensus is born out of many different opinions. It's not particularly weird if someone likes X less liked film over Y more liked film. The value in the single critic comes from understanding how they respond to films and whether their taste could be similar to yours, not in digging past reactions just to say someone sucks and isn't to be trusted.

Case in point I found NWH to be extremely uneven and straight up nonsensical often times and nostalgia+a good final part is what carries the film for me.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Reading all these reviews, one thing I question now is the release timing...if you have a damn sad bummer of a movie (which this seems to be), do you want to release this after what's been a crappy year and what probably will be a crappy election only 3 days prior?  Will people keep wanting to be bummed out that week, when they might just want to move on to happier holiday thinking and counting the days to the end of a crappy year?

It just seems like this was perfect to be their February hit (new year, new hopes let folks engage with more dark, serious, and sad material)...but we'll see when it opens...

It's MCU. People will show up even if the world was ending the next day.

• Like 2

Just now, grey ghost said:

I'm not sure if the lack of "best mcu film ever" is a calculated effort to be less hyperbolic or an indication of the movie's quality.

The "best mcu ever" has happened way less frequent than some of you want to admit.

In fact it rarely happens.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

The last decent mcu movie was No Way Home and people were pretty hyperbolic during that premiere. 

The last decent mcu movie was multiverse of madness and no one was calling nwh the best mcu movie. Best spiderman movie? Yes, i remember those.

There were a couple of "best MCU ever" but the overall consensus is "best MCU in phase 4" equating to best since at least Endgame.

Heavy on emotion (we knew that-good to see it's been officially noted).

Great acting (nice to see).

Maybe a tad bit long (okay).

Visually stunning (blah blah blah)

Good story (we've seen that several times if not on most-that's the most promising).

Best credit scene ever (intriguing-gonna try VERY hard not to spoil myself).

I'd be more curious as to its comparison to Shang Chi than to NWH. Seems like it blows past MoM and ThLT which we already assumed.

Not expecting the best MCU ever but it could rank top 5. The best 3 IMHO are BP, IM1, and EG.

Edited by jedijake

30 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Those Dom legs are... pretty ambitious

His 184M OW prediction itself says that he assuming movie will be more walks up heavy than previous 2 MCU movies, so 2.8x of OW is definitely possible if movie does 184M OW with 30M previews.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Reading all these reviews, one thing I question now is the release timing...if you have a damn sad bummer of a movie (which this seems to be), do you want to release this after what's been a crappy year and what probably will be a crappy election only 3 days prior?  Will people keep wanting to be bummed out that week, when they might just want to move on to happier holiday thinking and counting the days to the end of a crappy year?

It just seems like this was perfect to be their February hit (new year, new hopes let folks engage with more dark, serious, and sad material)...but we'll see when it opens...

This is a bit of a stretch. Dark and serious/sad movies open in the Fall/Winter window all the time, and it hasn’t been to their detriment. It even used to be Hollywood idiom that the summer season was for fun and lighthearted fluff, and Fall/Winter was for the serious stuff.

I’ve yet to hear anyone actually call this one a bummer anyhow.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, XXXVIIR said:

Are they, tho? Barely more than The Batman and less than Shang Chi. I think the BP franchise lends itself to less upfront hype than other MCU fair.  

Yes, they are. Very. Those were first entries and SC was fairly small at the end of the day. Cracking 2m6 would be a strong showing that I don't really expect especially with vet day.

I'm pretty sure everyone knew this was always going to be more somber than the average MCU movie due to unfortunate circumstances that were beyond their control. Sounds like they did a good job of mixing "tribute" and "MCU spectacle" together though and that's really all that matters at the end of the day.

• Like 4