sfran43

Weekend Thread: Hunter Killer - $420K preview

8 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

It did great but could have done even better during a quieter period. 

There is no quiet period. Box office is a year around contest now. It has done better than anybody thought it would. It has out performed all reasonable  expectations.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

These numbers look low.  Can somebody better at international box office than I tell me where they think First Man is headed in total?

It still has Italy, Germany, Mexico, Columbia & Japan left in the tank but it's not looking good so far.  WW BO can top out at just 125m.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tau Ceti said:

As for bomb of the fall, doesn't Hunter Killer now take that title? This is atrociously bad if they spent $40 million on it.

Maybe not in terms of expectations, but for budget vs box office, The Sisters Brothers has to be up there. Seeing how much they spent perfectly explains all the articles about Annapurna being a mess.com.

Beautiful Boy costing $25m apparently also boggles my mind, I can't understand where the money possibly went.

Great hold for A Star Is Born, also not bad for The Hate U Give.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

These numbers look low.  Can somebody better at international box office than I tell me where they think First Man is headed in total?

Looks to do around $48-55m existing O/S markets.  Still has most of Latin America, Italy, Germany & Japan so maybe around $60-70m -  around a $110 -120m WW w/o China (no release date yet).

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

It still has Italy, Germany, Mexico, Columbia & Japan left in the tank but it's not looking good so far.  WW BO can top out at just 125m.

Yes. Doubling First Man's reported production would be $118 million. I think that's the last fair goal post with the int'l markets still available.

With three days left to go, October box-office revenue has already hit a record $790M domestically. Previous best was 2014’s $757M. (Last year, October rev only hit $524M.) Rocktober!!

• Like 2

Fox also made headlines with the early launch of Bohemian Rhapsody in the UK where it delivered an estimated $12.2 million, outperforming the openings of A Star is Born by +127% as well as The Greatest Showman(+95%), La La Land (+46%) and Les Miserables (+15%). Fox will release the film domestically next weekend in approximately 3,800 locations along with an additional 64 international markets including Australia, Brazil, France, Germany, Mexico, Russia, South Korea and Spain.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4451&p=.htm

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Maybe not in terms of expectations, but for budget vs box office, The Sisters Brothers has to be up there. Seeing how much they spent perfectly explains all the articles about Annapurna being a mess.com.

Beautiful Boy costing $25m apparently also boggles my mind, I can't understand where the money possibly went.

Great hold for A Star Is Born, also not bad for The Hate U Give.

I just saw the budget for The Sister Brothers - $38m.  Are they insane?  That's even more inexplicable than BB's $25m.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not claiming that First Man will be the biggest flop or anything but it certainly will be a huge disappointment. I have a difficult time believing that Universal wasn't expecting much,  much more.

It's a disappointment but probably won't be a money loser unless they overspent on P&A.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's a disappointment but probably won't be a money loser unless they overspent on P&A.

I recall reading that Universal spent the top dollars for First Man for three straight weeks in the US (they probably bought the most amount of ads on TV). @Barnack can give a better idea from iSpot data.

In any case, I'm not sure if Universal overspent on First Man's P&A or not but they definitely gave it a big push in the final weeks.

• Like 2

Everyone, myself included, often makes the mistake of judging, based on paper, what will be the bigger hit but we all know that box office doesn't work that way. It's unpredictable. On paper, the A Space Epic Drama from the director of La La Land starring Ryan Gosling and a buzzed about young actress for an award winning show should have been a bigger hit than yet another remake of A Star is Born starring an actor directing his first film and an unusual pop star in her first lead film role. And yet here we are, living in a world where the opposite happened. The on paper sure thing project didn't work out. 

We all thought Venom would under perform as well and well it's done great. Box office is fun to follow because of these unpredictable occurrences. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Everyone, myself included, often makes the mistake of judging, based on paper, what will be the bigger hit but we all know that box office doesn't work that way. It's unpredictable. On paper, the A Space Epic Drama from the director of La La Land starring Ryan Gosling and a buzzed about young actress for an award winning show should have been a bigger hit than yet another remake of A Star is Born starring an actor directing his first film and an unusual pop star in her first lead film role. And yet here we are, living in a world where the opposite happened. The on paper sure thing project didn't work out. 

We all thought Venom would under perform as well and well it's done great. Box office is fun to follow because of these unpredictable occurrences. 

IDK, I agree the risk of failure was higher, but at least A Star Is Born has a track record of being a financial success in multiple eras? While even as First Man was announced, you had naysayers crying, "Boring!" from the jump and the trailers didn't generate enough excitement to counteract that impression for people who weren't already in. And the flag noise probably hurt it with an audience that might have been interested otherwise. The final product might have turned out too chilly for them to like in the end, but people not showing up is a bigger problem from a box office perspective.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not claiming that First Man will be the biggest flop or anything but it certainly will be a huge disappointment. I have a difficult time believing that Universal wasn't expecting much,  much more.

This is exactly right. It won't be the biggest bomb but it is the biggest disappointment. Yes, it's technically a biopic but considering what adult space movies have done in this release corridor this decade FM's results are baffling. There will be a lot of questions at Universal about how they marketed this.

That said, a few Oscar noms may still be in the cards. And I think history will treat it well if only for the quality of the space scenes.