WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

https://deadline.com/2018/11/gladiator-sequel-ridley-scott-maximus-peter-craig-writing-paramount-universal-1202494152/

EXCLUSIVE: While he has been eyeing other projects that include a coming of age Merlin movie at Disney, Ridley Scott has begun forward progress on a sequel toGladiator, the 2000 film which garnered 11 Oscar nominations and five wins including Best Picture and Best Actor for Russell Crowe. While Crowe’s Maximus character met his end in the classic original film, Gladiator 2 will follow the continuing story of Lucius, the son of Lucilla (Connie Nielsen), The youth was the nephew of Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix), the weaselly son of Roman leader Marcus Aurelius who murdered his father seized the throne and wound up in the gladiator ring with Maximus, who though mortally wounded, skewered the emperor before fading into the great beyond to reunite with his slain wife and son. Maximus saved the boy and his mother while avenging his own family, and left a strong impression on the young Lucius.

Sources said Paramount will be the studio developing the project, and Universal has the option to co-finance. DreamWorks is out of it. Crowe’s Maximus is a tough act to follow, but the brutal world of Roman gladiators is so compelling, who wouldn’t be entertained by another plunge into that world?

:ohmygod:

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

While Crowe’s Maximus character met his end in the classic original film, Gladiator 2 will follow the continuing story of Lucius, the son of Lucilla (Connie Nielsen),

sounds lame. like i said in the other thread, use nick cave's script you cowards

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

that nick cave gladiator 2 script from ages ago was truly batshit. maximus has to fight a roman god in the afterlife and then he's brought back to life to fight in every major war through history. i'd watch if it was that but probably not i'm guessing it's just gonna be some other unrelated gladiator.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

But why?

because ridley already cashed in on new aliens and blade runners so i guess this is next in line in his canon. look out for thelma and twoise or Black Hawk Up after this.

Edited by CoolioD1

26 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

There are reasons to be skeptical about this, then again BR2049 also sounded like a strange idea at first and it worked out great (except at the box office).

Like the main character in Gladiator was killed at the climax of the movie, and this ain't a comic book movie where you can resurrect people.

I suspect this will be  "Sequel in name only"...a movie set in Rome with nothing in common with "GLadiator" except the setting and it has Gladiators in it.

Edited by dudalb

Just expressed my sadness over the dearth of good historical epics the other day and now i read this. Sure, Ridley Scott can be hit and miss but even his Robin Hood is at least somewhat decent. Hopefully they got a good script. Gladiator is one of my favorite movies, i'm gonna follow this closely (if it turns out to be a thing).

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1