WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Like, on some level, I don't blame people when they see folks who absolutely should know better* hype up test screenings as a barometer of final product and then reflexively get all contrarian after they get burned repeatedly.

* And I am absolutely not including @ViewerAnon here as they tend to be very nuanced about this thing/expect their main audience to actually remember what test screenings are all about/will remind folks just what test screenings are and aren't when folks reacting get too far ahead of their skis.

But, c'mon now; it's 2024.  We here at least should know just what test screenings actually are: Feedback on an unfinished product.  

By definition — *BY DEFINITION* — unfinished product does indeed mean something can swerve from "fantastic reception [to current state of work in progress]" to "how the hell did the soufflé deflate in the oven this time?!?".  Something can have stellar feedback at the three-quarters mark of post and still all fall apart.  

Lord knows, I've (and others) have posted that vid more than enough times.

Yes, one version of The Flash reportedly had very good test results.  Tend to think that was a special case though since all of the toxicity surrounding the project led to a lot of executives on the WB side to blast that far and wide in an attempt to drive away the bad buzz.  Ironically enough, doing that probably raised expectations for at least some people and thus became a net-negative/backfired, especially since the final film looks to have been fairly re-worked post said test screenings.

Doesn't mean those prior test screening results were "wrong".  Just meant they weren't predictive. At least in that case.

In a way, I do think it's healthy that people look at test screening reports a bit more judiciously.  But don't throw out the baby with the bathwater as there's still a healthy amount of useful info that can be gleaned from them.

Dude, my only point was that people shouldn’t put so much stock in test screening reports, because test screenings are not the end all be all. You don’t need to go into a lengthy diatribe about it. 

David F. Sandberg’s video reinforces the fact that the Internet puts way too much stock in test screenings. 

Edited by WittyUsername

16 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Dude, my only point was that people shouldn’t put so much stock in test screening reports, because test screenings are not the end all be all. You don’t need to go into a lengthy diatribe about it. 

David F. Sandberg’s video reinforces the fact that the Internet puts way too much stock in test screenings. 

Did I quote you?  Then why presume I was talking specifically about your post?

What I was commenting is the knee-jerk contrarianism that lately seems to follow any discussion about test screenings. The main reason I brought up The Flash is that it's turned into something of a whipping boy when it comes to test screenings.  It's also a situation I'm more familiar with and can't really comment on the Birds of Prey discussion.  Which, spoiler alert, is what really ground my gears on the last page.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Did I quote you?  Then why presume I was talking specifically about your post?

What I was commenting is the knee-jerk contrarianism that lately seems to follow any discussion about test screenings. The main reason I brought up The Flash is that it's turned into something of a whipping boy when it comes to test screenings.  It's also a situation I'm more familiar with and can't really comment on the Birds of Prey discussion.  Which, spoiler alert, is what really ground my gears on the last page.

It was a little difficult for me to not get the impression that you were calling out posts such as mine, given that you were talking about people being contrarian when it comes to test screenings. 

Fair enough though. 

Can´t believe i posted such a inoffensive tweet from someone we actually know thinking it would be just a nice small info to have and it turned into ... this

I presumed we all knew how this things work and it wouldn´t be a big statement of overall reception, i thought this type of discourse would only happen with CBM movies, seems like i´m wrong. Sorry @ViewerAnon for posting this and causing any inconvenience.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I did warn you all that a certain person was a troll and not to engage with them. They are gonna poke holes in anything remotely positive shared in this thread. 

Didn't you plan to put this certain person on ignore list? I think you enjoy posts of that person too much and might've forgotten.

Edited by TomThomas

57 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

VIewerAnon is a good guy who keeps it 100 with what he has heard, sometimes people hear things that aren't always how it ends up but it's not like he's actively lying or manipulating information just to generate hype for their agenda like EmprieCity or Ruimy. If he said he's heard it's fantastic, then he's heard it's fantastic, whether it actually is fantastic or not.

Fair enough, but I think @ViewerAnonshouldn't use info from unreliable contacts, to avoid any confusion, or at least mark questionable info as "take it with a huge grain of salt". But I wouldn't be surprised if Empire City intentionally misleads to hype theaters or movies studios ask him to hype.

Edited by TomThomas

6 minutes ago, budice said:

Gladicked?  Wickiator? Same release day for Gladiator 2 and Wicked

Hollywood will never be able to replicate the Barbenheimer phenomenon again, it worked because it was organic and not studio manufactured. 

People aren’t going to be double billing Gladiator and Wicked. Gladiator should move up a week in the US like it has in international markets.

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

Let's not beat around the bush. @TomThomas is quite obviously and unapologetically a troll. Only thing that will shut them up is if everyone adjusts their ignore preferences to account for that fact.

Agreed.

Moderation

@TomThomas has been threadbanned for 24 hours for consistent concern trolling and negativity. You can be negative on a film's prospects, but when you post the same thing over and over and over and over again, it adds nothing to the conversation, derails threads, and makes everybody miserable. It is in fact okay to just ignore threads for movies you don't care about or aren't interested in and not miss anything. It's not what you say, it is how you say it. That is all.

• Like 2

On the scoop/test screening stuff - did anyone ever look at the Sony hack & test screening/audience reception stuff? It's the one scoop dataset that isn't insanely biased. When I looked a few years ago I recall some griping about how they were simply in retrospect systematically off at the time for various subsets of movies. It turns out polling is hard even on top of films being unfinished.. 

I still wish SawPatrol took off.  I just think that would have been funny.  

I can see Wickediator at least getting some extra sales (small amount), and I doubt their audiences overlap much.  I know my dad is a key part of Gladiator 2's target audience, and I feel safe saying he has no interest in Wicked.  

8 minutes ago, Human said:

I still wish SawPatrol took off.  I just think that would have been funny.  

I can see Wickediator at least getting some extra sales (small amount), and I doubt their audiences overlap much.  I know my dad is a key part of Gladiator 2's target audience, and I feel safe saying he has no interest in Wicked.  

The fact that there are already memes means it won’t take off. Feels forced.

But it’s also a bridge too far for most people. A Nolan film about an atomic bomb and a super colorful Barbie film (from Greta Gerwig, but I don’t think that was a factor for most people)? Absolutely. A Gladiator sequel and a full-on Broadway musical? Eh.

• Like 1

I guess I should just make it clear that my comment about test screenings was in no way me trying to paint a particular narrative about this film’s quality, or imply that ViewerAnon was lying, if that was the impression anyone got from it. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

The other night I was having dinner with a couple of industry veterans, both Oscar voters, who told me they had been talking to a top producer-financier who had seen two big studio movies coming out later in the year and both were fantastic.

The producer very enthusiastically praised Ridley Scott’s Gladiator II, said Paul Mescal was terrific and Denzel Washington extraordinary in it.

https://deadline.com/2024/07/oscar-predictions-contenders-2024-first-six-months-1235998884/

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don’t care if people think I’m “concern trolling” but what about the STORY? All these well-timed reports say “the critically-acclaimed actors are really good” and “the action looks super duper cool” but nothing about whether the actual story seemed good. Obviously I don’t expect a synopsis, but it’s like all the reports just talk around it.