WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

26 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I don’t care if people think I’m “concern trolling” but what about the STORY? All these well-timed reports say “the critically-acclaimed actors are really good” and “the action looks super duper cool” but nothing about whether the actual story seemed good. Obviously I don’t expect a synopsis, but it’s like all the reports just talk around it.

It´s a gossip dinner talk, what exactly do you want from it? At least from a purely commercial and hype pov, the action and the actors are the draws for this, it makes total sense that this will be the points of discussion during a conversation

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Ridley Scott movies are pretty much a coin toss these days in terms of how well received they are.

Definitely, i can´t be mad with him tho, The Last Duel was great and one of his best movies. 

He´s a living roller coaster, while i´m cautious all the time with him i can totally see this actually delivering after 2 awful movies, would be a great representation of his career haha

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

It´s a gossip dinner talk, what exactly do you want from it? At least from a purely commercial pov, the action and the actors are the draws for this, it makes total sense that this will be the points of discussion during a conversation

Well at least some reaction to the story, especially since it’s a sequel to an iconic Best Picture winner. Action and actors aren’t enough as we saw with Furiosa, and that actually got good reception from a consistent director.

Just now, Speedorito said:

Well at least some reaction to the story, especially since it’s a sequel to an iconic Best Picture winner. Action and actors aren’t enough as we saw with Furiosa, and that actually got good reception from a consistent director.

They said the movie is great, it can´t be a great movie is the story is trash. It´s a small talk, the person probably just shoutout the standouts.

And i genuinely think you´re maybe overthinking this ... Gladiator 1 isn´t very well known for it´s superb script if i´m being honest. There´s nothing really special about it´s critical reception, despite the Best Picture win [which as we know, doesn´t necessarily means it´s a masterpiece]. People loved it because they loved the characters and the action, the experience as a whole was great so it´s a classic, but the story itself is pretty ordinary, good but not really the standout. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They said the movie is great, it can´t be a great movie is the story is trash. It´s a small talk, the person probably just shoutout the standouts.

And i genuinely think you´re maybe overthinking this ... Gladiator 1 isn´t very well known for it´s superb script if i´m being honest. There´s nothing really special about it´s critical reception, despite the Best Picture win [which as we know, doesn´t necessarily means it´s a masterpiece]. People loved it because they loved the characters and the action, the experience as a whole was great so it´s a classic, but the story itself is pretty ordinary, good but not really the standout. 

Yeah the movie is not known for it's story. In fact it's no secret that the original  script was not great and being rewritten as they went. Crowe has given many interviews over the years about that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Like I said before, it’s not just this person. It’s all the reports that just kinda step around talking about the story (and everything else, but people get kinda upset if someone brings it up).

Also Gladiator had a pretty iconic story. It got nominated for five Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay. That typically doesn’t happen with a story that doesn’t resonate with people like Gladiator did. If the sequel recaptures that then you would think all the reports would highlight that instead of just “It’s Gladiator II and we have Denzel”

8 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Like I said before, it’s not just this person. It’s all the reports that just kinda step around talking about the story (and everything else, but people get kinda upset if someone brings it up).

Also Gladiator had a pretty iconic story. It got nominated for five Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay. That typically doesn’t happen with a story that doesn’t resonate with people like Gladiator did. If the sequel recaptures that then you would think all the reports would highlight that instead of just “It’s Gladiator II and we have Denzel”

Green Book actually won best original screenplay, and i think we can all agreed that story is poorly written and overall trash. 

Like i said, i don´t think the Oscars means much about it´s reception. I agreed with you that Gladiator resonate strongly with audiences, it´s a straight up fact, i just don´t think the story was the reason for it, even if it´s obviously cool and well made. 

That´s probably what we can expect from Gladiator 2 imo even if it´s actually great, because even the great Ridley movies simply aren´t known for standout scripts. Which is why i think it´s normal to someone to say the movie is great and proceed to highlight the action and actors.

Anyway, i get your point, i assume you get mine, so that´s it.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Green Book actually won best original screenplay, and i think we can all agreed that story is poorly written and overall trash. 

Like i said, i don´t think the Oscars means much about it´s reception. I agreed with you that Gladiator resonate strongly with audiences, it´s a straight up fact, i just don´t think the story was the reason for it, even if it´s obviously cool and well made. 

That´s probably what we can expect from Gladiator 2 imo even if it´s actually great, because even the great Ridley movies simply aren´t known for standout scripts. Which is why i think it´s normal to someone to say the movie is great and proceed to highlight the action and actors.

Anyway, i get your point, i assume you get mine, so that´s it.

I mean, if I’m wrong, I’m wrong. No skin off my back. But with Scott’s track record and with the mess that was Napoleon, I don’t think it’s wrong to be skeptical about this film.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I mean, if I’m wrong, I’m wrong. No skin off my back. But with Scott’s track record and with the mess that was Napoleon, I don’t think it’s wrong to be skeptical about this film.

Yeah Napoleon was a bore once the absurd comedy faded, and ugly as fuck. 

I was curious if his 4 hour cut would made it better but i doubt Apple will ever release it 

45 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Funny thing is if Ridley makes a very by the numbers decent movie that is entertaining or enjoyable, they will do well like the martian. 

I really honestly can't see this movie being anything like Napoleon, I see it being more in line with what you're describing and I think that's pretty much what the first Gladiator is

Clear heroes who are worth rooting for (Mescal) and clear conniving scheming villains (the flamboyant emperors and Denzel fucking Washington). Pedro Pascal is the question mark to me. So he's also a Gladiator fighting our hero, but the way it's been made to sound is that he's a general who used to serve under Russell Crowe who has been thrown into the Gladiator arena because he refuses to send his men to die or something like that. To me, he sounds like a good guy. So dramatically, that seems interesting. We have 2 "heroes" to root for being pitted against each other, and then maybe they team up?

Idk I think Ridley can easily make another rousing epic with this. Throw in some good performances, some good scheming, and truly epic unbelievable action setpieces which it sounds like this will have in spades and I really can't see this not being pretty well received at least. Visually it looks nothing as dour and drab as Napoleon. Looks much more appealing.

I'm excited

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 3

Furiosa is such a bad comparison to this that I keep seeing, Mad Max movies are much more niche than Gladiator which every male over 20 years of age can recite by heart, also Denzel is a megastar and Pascal is rapidly getting there, Chris Hemsworth is fun in Furiosa but let's be real here about his historical draw power.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Hollywood will never be able to replicate the Barbenheimer phenomenon again, it worked because it was organic and not studio manufactured. 

People aren’t going to be double billing Gladiator and Wicked. Gladiator should move up a week in the US like it has in international markets.

I don't think that's necessary for Gladiator at all. Wicked won't hurt it one bit. Then again, I'm quite bearish on Wicked.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Furiosa is such a bad comparison to this that I keep seeing, Mad Max movies are much more niche than Gladiator which every male over 20 years of age can recite by heart, also Denzel is a megastar and Pascal is rapidly getting there, Chris Hemsworth is fun in Furiosa but let's be real here about his historical draw power.

Yeah Gladiator is much bigger with the GA than any Mad Max movie including Fury Road. If the quality is there this will be big esp with the Adult male audience. The other big movies being released in the Thanksgiving to Christmas period Wicked, Moana 2 , Sonic 3 and Mufasa are not going for that target demo. Being part of that Demo I am sure as shit looking forward to it more than any of those. 

The movie needs to be much better than The Last Duel to live up to all this pre-release hype and not become like The Flash, it has to be as good as Top Gun: Maverick, over 8 final imdb score and close to the original, and truly great legs at box office. We'll see, but it's concerning when studios push this hard to convince public the movie is extraordinary when people didn't even see any footage. Folks say it's very easy for Ridley to make an appealing, well put together and crowdpleasing movie, but he couldn't do it for a long time.

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I disagree, in fact it's a movie with A+ Cinemascore and 8.2 imdb, so I don't think many people in real life would agree with you on this, only filmtwitter.

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

I think Denzel is also supposed to be a good guy in this

3 hours ago, emoviefan said:

It sounds like he will be this movie's Proximo the character Oliver Reed played in the first movie. Morally dubious at first but  is won over to the side of good in the end. Maybe. Will have to wait and see.

I thought he's like Proximo as well, but it seems like he's the main villain, at least Ruimy claims he is, so take of it what you will.

Edited by Firepower