sfran43

Weekend Thread : Asgardian #'s on p.17 ~ 19.6M Saturday

https://deadline.com/2018/11/bohemian-rhapsody-nutcracker-weekend-box-office-tiffany-haddish-nobodys-fool-1202494598/

20th Century Fox/New Regency/GK Film’s Bohemian Rhapsody struck a chord last night to the tune of $3.9M in Thursday night previews that began at 7PM.

Compared to other musical-themed features of late, Universal’s Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again made $3.4M on its Thursday before a $14.2M Friday, and $34.95M opening back in July. Then there’s Warner Bros.’ A Star Is Born which posted $3.2M in its Thursday night previews not counting its Wednesday sneaks cash which in total was $4.55M. That led to a $15.6M Friday and $42.9M opening weekend last month.

It’s been a while since there’s been a major studio music biopic and their range of openings are quite wide. On the high end, there’s Universal’s NWA movie Straight Outta Compton ($24.1M Friday, $60.2M weekend) and then there’s movies such as Oscar winners Ray ($6.6M Friday, $20M) in 2005 and the Johnny Cash and June Carter love story Walk the Line ($7.6M Friday, $22.3M opening). Compton is arguably the biggest grossing one at the domestic B.O. with $161.1M.

Yesterday being a Halloween hangover type-of-day, eight out of the top 10 films were down from Wednesday in their daily grosses; the only two seeing spikes were A Star Is Born with $1.4M, +10% for a fourth week of $19.9M and running total of $154.5M, and A24’s mid90s which drew $240K, +19%, for a $4.1M week, $4.4M two week total. Meanwhile Universal/Miramax/Blumhouse’s Halloween dropped 72% yesterday with an estimated $1.5M from its Wednesday Halloween day total of $5.5M. The David Gordon Green-directed slasher sequel counts $139.4M through two weeks.

Edited by Daenys
  • Like 2

I don't want to be the devil's advocate, but there were special screenings on Wednesday for BR. Granted they seemed pretty exclusive (the closest special screening for my area was in New York), but if this seems a touch frontloaded, don't be surprised.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/bohemian-rhapsody-nutcracker-weekend-box-office-tiffany-haddish-nobodys-fool-1202494598/

Disney’s $120M young female production The Nutcracker and the Four Realms is expected to be pounded to dust this weekend with an opening around $20M at 3,766 theaters, 69% of that count offering 3D with 202 Premium Large Format screens and 150 D-BOX/4D auditoriums. Previews began at 6PM last night. We’ll have their Thursday night figure soon. Critics are tap dancing on The Nutcracker, which isn’t exactly a ballet-driven movie for better or for worse, with a 31% RT score.

Paramount has the Tyler Perry comedy Nobody’s Fool at 2,400 theaters and previews last night that began at 7PM earning $600K. Net production cost for the Tiffany Haddish and Tika Sumpter comedy was $19M. Tracking has the movie in the mid teens.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Audience scores:

Bohemian Rhapsody: 93%

The Nutcracker: 53%
Nobody's Fool: 40%

HOLY FUCK BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY :ohmygod: 

If Disney really wants to take advantage of Fox, they need to make a Hugh Jackman-Rami Malek musical. Critics will be mixed, but audiences will love it. The Greatest Bohemian.

• Like 2

Whenever I or anyone else mentions a Disney flop, a person inevitably jumps to how Disney can afford it as if any mention of Disney flops is prohibited just because they can afford it. Nobody is claiming it's the end of the studio guys. And I saw Solo flopping being dismissed as well and yet Disney took at step back after that. No matter how much one claims it, Disney are not cool with flops happening. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

If I am reading Maoyan correctly, Nutcracker OD in China was 2.3M Yuan, so about 400k USD. Audience rating is awful with 7.9, so maybe a 2-3M USD final total there.

I may have made a mistake, and it might be 23M and 4M USD. I am unsure. If it is 4M USD, then it will probably do 15M USD final total as the ramp up won't be as big. I am not sure how to read Maoyan.

• Haha 1