• Community Manager

It's funny because I thought I was so late to the bandwagon for the show, only catching up to watch the final 3 eps, but it turns out there's like 6 million+ worth of viewers who did the same apparently!

Between the break, a lot of people were checking the show out on Netflix and online buzz was building. If anything, Breaking Bad is the story of how online viewing can potentially help live television.

The ending of The Sopranos was the worst.  I remember Howard Stern on his show saying that he checked to see if his TV and/or cable connection was either broken or working properly when the screen abruptly went black and I sure as hell bet he wasn't the only one, that is just possibly the worst fucking unintended reaction you could have for the ending of your TV show.  If you really want to have an open ended or ambiguous ending, don't do it in such a lame ass way, at least LOST's sort of had some effort put into it instead of LOLBLACKSCREEN.

Edited by Ozymandias

I love that Breaking Bad shows that when you have a genuinely good show, people will tune in even if it takes a while for the reputation to build.  Hopefully some other networks like the 4 main broadcast ones (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) will look at its performance and try for something more daring and less "appeals to the lowest common denominator".

It's too late for this year with crap shows like "We Are Men", "Moms", "Hostages" etc. etc.

Plus all the spin-offs especially CBS ugh, apparently they want to launch a spin-off of NCIS: LA which is already a spin-off of a spin-off.

The ending of The Sopranos was the worst.  I remember Howard Stern on his show saying that he checked to see if his TV and/or cable connection was either broken or working properly when the screen abruptly went black and I sure as hell bet he wasn't the only one, that is just possibly the worst fucking unintended reaction you could have for the ending of your TV show.  If you really want to have an open ended or ambiguous ending, don't do it in such a lame ass way, at least LOST's sort of had some effort put into it instead of LOLBLACKSCREEN.

I disagree in this sense... the only bad thing imo, about the Sopranos ending was that when it went to black, they probably should have kept an HBO logo in the bottom corner because the pause on black was so long.

Everything else about it works just fine from a story perspective.

Edited by Adam

Plus all the spin-offs especially CBS ugh, apparently they want to launch a spin-off of NCIS: LA which is already a spin-off of a spin-off.

The problem with the big networks is they aren't really trying to find edgy or risky  shows that might become huge, they are all about playing it safe and will be happy to settle for "reliable" shows, which is why when they do luck into a show that does well we end up with a bunch of spin offs and clones. The only "risks" they take are pumping out 1001 cheap reality shows and keeping the 2-3 that stick every year.

Network TV is lame, they won't even do Miniseries anymore which they did a lot of back in the days. 

Small channels like the History Channel did Hatfield and McCoy's and The Bible and it destroyed all the network channels in ratings. 

Problem with the Soprano's ending it does not work if you watched in real time.

For example if you watch the show all over again and you know what is coming, you then really appreciate how great of an ending that was 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Problem with the Soprano's ending it does not work if you watched in real time.

For example if you watch the show all over again and you know what is coming, you then really appreciate how great of an ending that was 

I watched it LIVE ... and found it weird, but I immediately had an idea of what Chase was trying to say (even if he hasn't explicitly come out except for alluding to it in 1 interview) ... Always found it interesting that Members Only is the first episode of season 6 ... and the first episode of season 6, part 2 "Sopranos Home Movies" has the conversation between Tony & Bobby about death and the circumstances surrouding what it would be like. “You probably don’t ever hear it when it happens, right?” ... and then in the final scene both things sort of come up.

It's not a definitive ending though ... there COULD be many explanations ... or simply that's the last we see of Tony and his family.  I can see how that might bug some people though.

Edited by Adam

Yeah see when you watch the show again you remember the discussion between Tony and  Bobby on the Canoe and it all makes sense. 

There are all kinds of theories.

For example Meadow took 3 tries to park her car when they were meeting up in the end.

Tony was shot at twice, third time the charm? 

lol 

The scenes was not some random scene, it had a lot of thought put into it and gives a lot of clues over how the show actually ended. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Trust me when you watch that scene and the final few episodes it makes sense then. 

I just think the Soprano's ending was just to complicated to understand in the way they did it. 

At first I was "WTF!!!" then after a few years I re watched and was like wow.... 

• Community Manager

I love that Breaking Bad shows that when you have a genuinely good show, people will tune in even if it takes a while for the reputation to build.  Hopefully some other networks like the 4 main broadcast ones (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) will look at its performance and try for something more daring and less "appeals to the lowest common denominator".

Awake, Lone Star, Community, The Good Wife, Parenthood, Hannibal, Friday Night Lights. I'd argue that whether or not you liked Fringe late in it's run or not, it was pretty daring on what it did. Lost could also be another example. All main broadcast network shows that are smart, intelligent, and well-written. So the question is why aren't you supporting these shows?

• Like 1