AdamKendall

Weekend Thread 12/28-12/30 AQM 51.5 MPR 28 BB 20.5 ITSV 18.3

Finally caught up with Into the Spider-verse. Well, that was fantastic. Pity it's not doing as much as it deserves, we need more big budget animated films that aren't either Pixar copycats (and I love Pixar) or lowest common denominator slapstick crapfests.

Does it have animated Oscar buzz? I hope so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Netflix clarified that the 45m accounts viewing Bird Box watched at least 70% of the film, including credits.

Just for the people yesterday who thought clicking on the film and turning it off after 2 minutes was being counted. 

There would be the same no of Netflix accounts if they never made Bird Box.

Technically, they made a loss making it.

The only useful metric is how many accounts they gained as a result of screening it.

it helps that there was a lot of direct to Netflix stuff at the same time.  Christmas Chronicles, Jungle Book, Roma,...

Bird Box hit the timing well, people who follow the film awards probably all tuned in at once to see Bird Box and they'll be disappointed when it gets no award nominations.  

I think Bird Box was a gateway though where the Academy Awards will get 40 million viewers and they will have to keep up with Netflix now as well as the December films.

the Bird Box numbers could be made up though, too.  With YT view records, it seems analytics has got the marketing reach down with high interconnectivity, like when 

3 minutes ago, AndyK said:

There would be the same no of Netflix accounts if they never made Bird Box.

Technically, they made a loss making it.

The only useful metric is how many accounts they gained as a result of screening it.

To be fair, I think the plan will have to switch to maintaining users soon enough, rather than increasing. With them set to lose a lot of theatrical content from Disney-Fox (with them set to account for close to half of the marketplace, plus eventually losing all their back catalogs), plus whatever WB does, not to mention Apple and so on, their own content will have to keep them going strong, so even if this didn't gain them new members (unlikely, to be honest), it might help solidify their reputation for delivering solid own content (solid at least in its ability to draw top level talent, even if not necessarily quality-wise). So, if the plan is to start consolidating, this would probably help.

1 hour ago, Celedhring said:

Finally caught up with Into the Spider-verse. Well, that was fantastic. Pity it's not doing as much as it deserves, we need more big budget animated films that aren't either Pixar copycats (and I love Pixar) or lowest common denominator slapstick crapfests.

Does it have animated Oscar buzz? I hope so.

it is indeed a very well done animation, this is one of my best movie of the year. 

I hope this can win oscar for best animated feature so that we can stop pixar-disney from taking turn of clamming the gong.

Let give some non-mainstream CG animation style some chance!

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

it is indeed a very well done animation, this is one of my best movie of the year. 

I hope this can win oscar for best animated feature so that we can stop pixar-disney from taking turn of clamming the gong.

Let give some non-mainstream CG animation style some chance!

Well, let's not call a Spider-Man movie that's gonna end close to 200 million domestically "non-mainstream". :P

But I very much agree it should win. Not just to stop Disney and Pixar, but because it is soooo much better than their offerings this year. In all aspects. It is such a sublime film.

• Like 1