AdamKendall

Weekend Thread 12/28-12/30 AQM 51.5 MPR 28 BB 20.5 ITSV 18.3

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Is it me or no Oscar movie is breaking out  this season ?

Not even Green Book ?

Pretty much. But there are a couple of Oscar films that have really good box office results like A Star is Born and Black Panther. But in terms of the movies being released for awards season, yea they pretty much all fell flat on their faces with a few of them being left out of the Oscar race because of their box office (Widows and First Man for ex) 

I think The Favourite could have broken out but Mary Queen of Scots pretty much ruined that. Some films canablized one another. Some films folks just didn’t have any interest in them. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

And the expected big drop from Xmas day continues...probably the only family movie that will actually have a decrease this weekend (and this one is a touch over 50% drop)...$300M dreams are definitely dead...this will probably settle in the $275-280M range, depending how steep it keeps dropping...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think The Favourite could have broken out but Mary Queen of Scots pretty much ruined that. Some films canablized one another. Some films folks just didn’t have any interest in them. 

It actually makes sense that Mary Queen of Scots is making more than The Favourite right now because the former is a more “traditional” period piece movie and has the combined presence of Ronan and Robbie (who are coming off of Lady Bird and I, Tonya), which made it hard to resist for a certain audience. That movie will die down a bit once the holidays pass while the latter will be around for a while thanks to awards season and could reach $30M+, which is great for a somewhat weird period dramedy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Pretty much. But there are a couple of Oscar films that have really good box office results like A Star is Born and Black Panther. But in terms of the movies being released for awards season, yea they pretty much all fell flat on their faces with a few of them being left out of the Oscar race because of their box office (Widows and First Man for ex) 

To think Black Panther is a total anomaly, we would be left with a Star Is Born.

Us vs Them

Ahem.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gamera said:

How do you sell an Oscar telecast with Roma the likely Best Picture winner?

By nominating Black Panther for 12 awards. Makes me sick to think about movies like TDK or Logan not receiving their dues, compared to BP, but... that's most likely what's gonna happen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gamera said:

How do you sell an Oscar telecast with Roma the likely Best Picture winner?

I am pretty it won't, no foreign language film won best picture at the oscar ever. I have a gut felling that favourite could be the winner in the end.

Best director for Roma is likely through.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It actually makes sense that Mary Queen of Scots is making more than The Favourite right now because the former is a more “traditional” period piece movie and has the combined presence of Ronan and Robbie (who are coming off of Lady Bird and I, Tonya), which made it hard to resist for a certain audience. That movie will die down a bit once the holidays pass while the latter will be around for a while thanks to awards season and could reach $30M+, which is great for a somewhat weird period dramedy.

Yea The Favourite should still end up with a solid gross but I just feel like if Queen of Scotts didn’t exist, it could have really broken out. I just think the two of them seemed so similar to one another that it may have confused that GA or the GA watched one but not the other because they seemed similar (even though they’re not) What’s funny is that Mary Queen of Scots isnt even in the awards picture anymore so it’s really just being there as a thorn in the side of The Favourite at this point lol 

• Like 1