AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

Is there a bigger trope in animated movies other than "the characters going on remarkable journeys?"

Nah. It's all they do. Toy Story? Journey. Brave? Journey. Nemo? Journey. New Groove? Journey. Croods? Journey. Both Spongebob's? Journey. That's obviously not a bad thing, but I mean damn, can we think of something else?

• Like 1

Is there a bigger trope in animated movies other than "the characters going on remarkable journeys?"

Nah. It's all they do. Toy Story? Journey. Brave? Journey. Nemo? Journey. New Groove? Journey. Croods? Journey. Both Spongebob's? Journey. That's obviously not a bad thing, but I mean damn, can we think of something else?

It's called the Hero's Journey and its been a recurring trope in popular film and fiction in general for forever. Certainly not just animation. Star Wars or Potter or LOTR ring any bells? It's a tried and true archetype most people will connect and relate with.

• Like 1

Yeah, why aren't there animated movies about characters sitting on their asses posting on forums.

Dreamworks presents...Telemachos: Mod Forever.

Sorry Tele, you're not a Pixar movie.

• Like 2

Hotel Transylvania didnt go on a journey and I found that quite enjoyable. I wouldnt call Incredibles or Toy Story 3 or Monsters Inc going on journies, and theyre some of Pixars best. Shrek 2 wasnt, it was all about him meeting her parents, and neither was DM.

Shrek, Incredibles, and Monsters had me in awe as a child. You dont have to go on a jounrey to tap into fullfilment, and Movie Man its obviously way more noticable in this medium. Hangover 2 wasnt a journey in the same way Croods was.

But like I said, it's not necessarily a bad thing, most of these movies are good as hell, just a trope that I noticed that just seems a little cliche at this point, especially with Pixar because they do it the most. (Again just my opinion and I dont mean that to slight Pixar so dont jump on me).

Inside out and dinosaurs above minions??

Yup :) I always have faith in Pixar, and dinosaurs were my thing when I was little, so I always get excited about movies about dinosaurs. Minions is my #3 anticipated animated film of the year, and I think #12 or 13 overall. Would have been a few spots higher had I liked DM2 more than I did.

Movies based on side characters are tough to pull off. Plus, Pixar seems back in form with Inside Out, and The Good Dinosuar seems like it has a shot at being good too.

Minions are  not side characters. If there are no minions, then there is no Despicable me.

If the trailer reactions are any kind of indications, Minions will open atleast 30% above inside out.

Minions are  not side characters. If there are no minions, then there is no Despicable me.

If the trailer reactions are any kind of indications, Minions will open atleast 30% above inside out.

He was not talking about box office but his anticipation of the movies.

I'm worried a bit. The competition is crazy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOVEMBER

06 | THE PEANUTS MOVIE | SPECTRE

13 | RINGS | BY THE SEA | THE 33 | ROCK THE KASBAH

20 | THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY II

27 | THE GOOD DINOSAUR | THE MARTIAN | UNTITLED SETH ROGEN/JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT X-MAS MOVIE | MIDNIGHT SPECIAL | CREED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only other movies to really worry about are peanuts and star wars

THG: MOCKINGJAY II might take the female auds away.

THE MARTIAN AND MIDNIGHT SPECIAL are both "deep" kind of films I guess and might also steal the adult auds who usually go to Pixar movies.

No?

• Like 1